Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 2015

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

belcarra wrote: »
    Duke_of_Dromada finished in 3:04:13.
    I wonder did they get chatting at some stage??

Hehe, immediately afterwards and we were joined by another random Irish lad who had also done 3.04!

Strolling throughCentral Parkthe three of us chatting....

Who said New York was tough? Whoever it was he was focking right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mayor de Blasio really needs to sort that hill from 108 to 90th street. Jesus.

Report later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

3:33.29. Disappointed. All ok until m19 ... I'd had some stomach issues but things seemed ok, but the pace started to slide. At 23 the wheels came off. The Brooklyn and especially 1st ave miles were tougher than I expected. Second marathon in succession where I have failed to BQ
    Cramped like hell after the finish.
    My beer has arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Itziger wrote: »
    Hehe, immediately afterwards and we were joined by another random Irish lad who had also done 3.04!

Report later.

Well done D.
    3:04 on that course is a great run.
    What about that bridge into Queens from Brooklyn (the one with the halfway mark on it)?
    I knew about the others but nobody mentioned that.
    Fcuking hell!

p.s. Is anyone in the boozer yet? I popped in and there was no runners there a while ago. I'm close by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Yaboya done and dusted @ 3:33:28
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    3:33.29. Disappointed. All ok until m19 ... I'd had some stomach issues but things seemed ok, but the pace started to slide. At 23 the wheels came off. The Brooklyn and especially 1st ave miles were tougher than I expected. Second marathon in succession where I have failed to BQ
    Cramped like hell after the finish.
    My beer has arrived.

You holding hands or wha?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done D.
    3:04 on that course is a great run.
    What about that bridge into Queens from Brooklyn (the one with the halfway mark on it)?
    I knew about the others but nobody mentioned that.
    Fcuking hell!

p.s. Is anyone in the boozer yet? I popped in and there was no runners there a while ago. I'm close by now.

I've been here for a while ! Look for the hat (mrs p) !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I see the self declared world's fittest man ran 3:09 after going through halfway in 1:30 (must have had a lactic acid build up in the 2nd half). Itziger, you can now claim the title off Deano :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

menoscemo wrote: »
    I see the self declared world's fittest man ran 3:09 after going through halfway in 1:30 (must have had a lactic acid build up in the 2nd half). Itziger, you can now claim the title off Deano :p
    I think you have posters of him all over your gaff. Like buffalo bill when you capture him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Bez Bing

Tough going out there yesterday, finished in 3:37:19.
    Got a side stitch at mile 22 (WTF I've never gotten one of those before!!) and then my groin cramped as we entered the park and I couldn't quicken.

Still delighted with a 30 min PB from on and only previous marathon in Dublin 5 years ago.

Sorry couldn't meet for beers after, I met the wife and kid for grub and I was wrecked after that.

Tough course but the crowd were amazing, swinging up first ave into that wall of sound was unreal.

Guess who I met today and got picture taken with???

Yes, of course, Stanley and Mary. Congratulated the two of them. Humble folk who were kind enough to share 42kms of New York with the rest of us yesterday. Will post pics later.

Biwott.jpg

Priveleged to have met Stanley Biwott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good auld Harchibald finally got his head in front :D

Question for anyone that has done both : how does the NY course compare to the Connemarathon ? I know this is one extreme to the other but I'm curious as to how I would find the Connemarathon if I committed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Finally getting around to posting. 3:04:13 for me.

As I knew I wasn't going to PB I didn't really know what pace to go at. After a few miles I found myself on target for sub 3, nice round number. It was controlled but close to the edge so was expecting it to come back and bite me. I wanted to enjoy the race as much as possible so high-five'd any kid that had their hand out. Lots of spectators, so that was fun. Most of Brooklyn was great.

Went threw half way in 1:29:56 but by mile 20 I was beginning to suffer and was down about 30 sec. 5th Ave drag was a killer and I didn't have the energy to enjoy the crowd anymore. Before turning into Central Park I decided sub 3 wasn't worth the effort so slowed it down. Through Central Park and especially Central Park South and the finishing straight I just held out my hand and high-five'd anyone that noticed. This got the crowd going in places and was good fun. Very tiring though holding the hand out for so long and on some of the uphills I just had to focus on running. Legs were in pain and feet were sore from the pounding but the crowd took my mind off that. Had a great run into the finish line and for once I actually soaked it up instead of sprinting to the line.

Great race! Spectators are all over the course and were very loud in places. Course is tough, a lot more hills than I was expecting all throughout. Very glad I've chalked it down. Would recommend it to anyone. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Question for anyone that has done both : how does the NY course compare to the Connemarathon ? I know this is one extreme to the other but I'm curious as to how I would find the Connemarathon if I committed to it.

Did NYC last year, was amazing. Did Connemarathon in 2010/2011/2012. Connemara is way tougher course. NYC is bumpy compared to it.

Thinking of going back to Connemara so may see you there.

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Did NYC last year, was amazing. Did Connemarathon in 2010/2011/2012. Connemara is way tougher course. NYC is bumpy compared to it.

Thinking of going back to Connemara so may see you there.

Thanks .....hummmm....that's a bit sobering !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paulcbreen11

Report later.

Nice to meet DukeofDromada and Itziger after the race! Cheers for the extra bottle of water!

Nice to meet DukeofDromada and Itziger after the race! Cheers for the extra bottle of water!

Just looking at your splits there. Maybe we should have met a few hours earlier!! Could've shared the pain of the last 12k running together.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Just looking at your splits there. Maybe we should have met a few hours earlier!! Could've shared the pain of the last 12k running together.

We did! For a little bit anyway. (attempting to attach an image....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

2016 lottery opens Jan 21st. Got in first time with both Chicago and Berlin so might as well give this a go. :)

Do all of the previous year's entrants receive guaranteed entry?

Won't make it this year unless the euromillions works tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Do all of the previous year's entrants receive guaranteed entry?

Won't make it this year unless the euromillions works tonight!

Well I am hoping euromillions will work for me tonight, so looks like we are going to have to share it!!

Shoot, I've only NOW realised that folks were following us and supporting us on here and I never said thanks or a thing. Seems ungrateful. It's very humbling to see people you've never met taking an interest in your race.

I saw Belacarra's comment, but I met him. SHUDDER!!

Well I am hoping euromillions will work for me tonight, so looks like we are going to have to share it!!

A_R, here's the deal. Whoever wins - obviously it's going to be you or me - buys the other a couple of plane tickets, a decent hotel room for a few days and the race entry.

Fair enough, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A_R, here's the deal. Whoever wins - obviously it's going to be you or me - buys the other a couple of plane tickets, a decent hotel room for a few days and the race entry.

Fair enough, no?

Well I hope you live in Mayo or we are f**k

Last day for entries.

Looks like I got a pick? No email yet but card pre authorised for amount. 3 picks from 3 in the majors first time if so, maybe will do the actual lottery. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'm in, as are 3 friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Eeek! Totally forgot this is out today. Guess i'll have to patiently wait

Advertisement