Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Build 10 Speed or 11?

• 15-01-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I'm builing a bike for next season. On my Current Bike I'm running Campag 10 Speed. I'd like to run Campy 10 speed on my new bike too, but all I can get new is 11 speed. I can source 10 Speed second hand or lesser groupsets new but is it likely that in two years time I will have to upgrade to 11 speed anyways because of lack of ten speed parts availability?

What do you all advise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

I'm builing a bike for next season. On my Current Bike I'm running Campag 10 Speed. I'd like to run Campy 10 speed on my new bike too, but all I can get new is 11 speed. I can source 10 Speed second hand or lesser groupsets new but is it likely that in two years time I will have to upgrade to 11 speed anyways because of lack of ten speed parts availability?

What do you all advise?

I was in the same dilemma with a new frame I was building up, albeit with Shimano Ultegra. Stuck with10 speed for compatibility, changing wheels etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

You can still buy new Centaur and Veloce 10spd stuff. Also Campagnolo keep a supply of all their old parts so you will always be able to get replacements if you're really stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

We're all in the same boat us ten speeders. Whenever we go to pull the band aid off and make the move to 11 it's going to be a wrench. A painful and expensive transition. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Campag Centaur is no more for 2015. I'd say all 10 speed will be fazed out in the next couple of years. Roll on 12 speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Will they go to 12 speed? I'd imagine it has to stop somewhere as its limited as to how many cogs they can put in a cassette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I don't even know what benefits I'll get with my new 11 speed, only purchased it as I wanted to go Di2.Riding 10 speed all these years I never felt the need for an extra cog,sure even on a spin around Wicklow I'd only use about half the ratio's available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Will they go to 12 speed? I'd imagine it has to stop somewhere as its limited as to how many cogs they can put in a cassette.

Single sprocket increments from 11-28 would suggest it might stop at around an 18 speed set up. Hub width's, spacers, chains, freehubs, etc., can all change.

I'm pretty sure that anyone with a reasonable level of fabrication skills could make a cassette with as many cogs as you like. It just won't fit anything. Once manufacturers hit a technological full stop (which I reckon will be 11 speed standard hydraulic disc aero road bike that is still sub-8.5kg being the average road bike), they'll add another cog and repeat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

fat bloke wrote: »
    We're all in the same boat us ten speeders. Whenever we go to pull the band aid off and make the move to 11 it's going to be a wrench. A painful and expensive transition. :(

You should be ok to keep your chainset anyway if that's any consolation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

ok thanks everyone. Think i will go 11 speed. can just change cassettes for changing wheels between bikes.

Advertisement