Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Examples of the staggering lack of tenant & landlord knowledge

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

cerastes wrote: »
    No you're not

?
    How is that your point? are you the tenant?
    So you agree its not allowed, your initial post wasnt clear.

Agh hear... Id say most people would be able to detect the sarcasm in mrsbyrnes post....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Oh for god sake! mrsbyrne was giving an example of the lack of tenant knowledge!!

It didnt seem clear and another poster seemed to agree
    Sligo1 wrote: »
    Agh hear... Id say most people would be able to detect the sarcasm in mrsbyrnes post....

chill, no need to come in on someones coat tails, he/she said their piece.

Besides, its a good example of a lack of tenant knowledge right beside a a good example of a bad landlord, ie landlord delaying, leaving a broken shower for 3 weeks.
    I didnt know if the poster was the landlord or the tenant, I thought they were describing their own situation, each was an example of a poor version of either a landlord or tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

No you're not

?
    How is that your point? are you the tenant?
    So you agree its not allowed, your initial post wasnt clear.

I don't think you read yhe title of the thread or maybe you don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Would today's Indo article be an example of such lack of knowledge on matters rental related ..????

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/mum-and-three-children-barricaded-in-home-close-to-dail-30916027.html

So many questions..........:confused:

One needs space for More questions .... :confused::confused:
    Huh? This section gives you all the space you'll ever need for questions. Again, I take the op's point - but given that 90% of threads in this section fall within the category of what he's referring to, what more is necessary? The only other thing I would suggest - if he/she has the energy - then the only thing that is lacking is a wiki (or key post in the form of a wiki/faq).

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Currently,it appears that the media is the favoured route for those who need situations addresed quickly ?

Meh...yes and no. What's the reference in that (utter) rag to 'just yards from the Dail'. That's tabloid nonsense!

If you want to take it further - then there's a requirement for a consensus based (as in consensus between tenant and landlord - as despite the polarity on here, they've got more in common in needing change than they disagree on) lobby movement to effect change to address the whole rental system - as clearly, it's unfair to ALL concerned in it's present form.

otherwise, what the op requested is facilitated all day - every day - by this section of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭pooch90

Just had to add one in.
    We had a landlord in his 70s who repeatedly kept unlocking the gate and letting himself into the grounds of the property to cut grass etc.
    We asked him numerous times (and the letting agent) to stop doing this and to give us notice.
    He did it again and brought his daughter and grandson along for a gawk in the windows (they thought we were away).
    Arguement ensued and he turns around and said "you're renting the house not the garden" !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

pooch90 wrote: »
    Just had to add one in.
    We had a landlord in his 70s who repeatedly kept unlocking the gate and letting himself into the grounds of the property to cut grass etc.
    We asked him numerous times (and the letting agent) to stop doing this and to give us notice.
    He did it again and brought his daughter and grandson along for a gawk in the windows (they thought we were away).
    Arguement ensued and he turns around and said "you're renting the house not the garden" !!!!
    Could you not have cut the grass yourself?

Could you not have cut the grass yourself?

No lawnmower and apparently we couldn't be let use the tractor lawnmower he had. We did offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The majority of Irish business are run by small operations that wouldn't know their arse from their elbow when they set off. You learn by doing and taking proper advice. What surprises me is the amount of landlords that don't take proper advice.
    Many landlords are reluctant landlords. Single when they buy a place , end up in a relationship where the partner has a place aswell. They end up renting out one of the places. Or the property doesn't suit their new work lication or they outgrow it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

No lawnmower and apparently we couldn't be let use the tractor lawnmower he had. We did offer.

It sounds like a large lawn, you say grounds, so you offered to use the tractor? sounds reasonable enough of the landlord to not expect or consider you use a tractor mower which without experience, it could be dangerous.
    How did you expect him to get in without unlocking the gate?

Maybe he did bring someone over to have a look in the windows, sounds a bit unlikely, some people are nosey generally, that they had a peer in isnt his fault, an argument ensued? how so? did you get angry? I cant see why he would as he doesnt seem to have any problem, it doesnt seem unreasonable for him to mow the lawn, what did the lease say about it?
    Why not just put it in writing to the landlord, no argument, or go the formal route if you were overall unhappy about it?
    Others would be complaining if the lawn wasnt cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,263 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It sounds like a large lawn, you say grounds, so you offered to use the tractor? sounds reasonable enough of the landlord to not expect or consider you use a tractor mower which without experience, it could be dangerous.

Maybe he did bring someone over to have a look in the windows, sounds a bit unlikely, some people are nosey generally, that they had a peer in isnt his fault, an argument ensued? how so? did you get angry? I cant see why he would as he doesnt seem to have any problem, it doesnt seem unreasonable for him to mow the lawn, what did the lease say about it?
    Why not just put it in writing to the landlord, no argument, or go the formal route if you were overall unhappy about it?

I'm pretty sure the issue was that he refused to give notice that he was coming. It's trespassing whichever way you slice it

• Advertisement

It was a tractor lawnmower ie a ride on one, which I would be more than capable of using, having used one for years at home.

He had plenty of problems and well renowned locally as being a violent thug.

The gates were usually left unlocked by us, we only started locking them when he regularly turned up without notice or organised random tradesmen to come to our home without any notice. This was during the heat wave in 2013 when we would have been sunbathing etc and not expecting to be confronted by a stranger when in our garden in a bikini.

Anyway, my post was to show the lack of knowledge that we weren't renting the garden, just the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just had to add one in.

Been there, but the garden was open plan... the lease said ll would cut the grass and there was far too much of it for me to even think of. (disabled) He cut it once in 18 months by which time it was a field.. I cam home and found him and his small son feeding chocolate biscuit to the dog I was looking after as he had neglected it..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So you find it OK to have folk peering in through the windows? Some quiet enjoyment there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement