Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting and letting out rooms?

Options
  • 15-01-2015 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Can you do this? I've been searching for a reasonably priced room for a while with no luck. Am wondering whether it's worth going down the rental route. Has anyone ever rented a house and then let out the other rooms? I can't afford a place of my own and it seems much cheaper this way. I've seen 3 beds for 1500 in my area, but rooms of equal or smaller space seem to be going for 550-600 in houseshares.
    I would obviously be responsible for the lease, so would pay first months rent and deposit myself. How would you go about finding housemates? Advertise the rooms on daft? I'd have to charge a security deposit so I dont get screwed with rent if someone leaves, so would I put it in a separate account and keep it for them or give it back to them upon finding a replacement? I've lived in a houseshare like this before and had to wait for someone to move in to get my deposit back. I don't think I'd have any trouble finding housemates. I'm in in Dublin, if that helps. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Yes, you can do that - but *only* if the tenancy agreement (and therefore, the landlord) permits it.

You can advertise for house share for free on daft (at least you could...been a few years since I've used that).

Be sure you know what you are taking on. You can't be soft - or else you'll end up on the hook ($) for rent, bills, damage, etc.

Advertisement