Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Gionola to run for FIFA president

• 15-01-2015 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭

Just breaking now.

Fully behind him would really shake it up, bit of young blood. Anything but that corrupt dinosaur Blatter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Regarding the position, is he worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Platini has done a cracking job in UEFA so why not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Regarding the position, is he worth it?

Excellent sir

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

run for FIFA president? He can't run, he's too fat. Isn't that right John Gregory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

dreamers75 wrote: »

and what's that got to do with this subject ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

M&C Saatchi PR, acting on behalf of Irish bookmaker Paddy Power, told The Associated Press that Ginola will launch his campaign in London on Friday.

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/2245835/david-ginola-to-challenge-sepp-blatter-for-the-fifa-presidency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'd rather Cantona to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Is there a risk of too many contenders running against Blatter? Blatter won't lose a huge amount of votes in his strongholds regardless of who is against him, so if there are too many others sharing the rest of the vote it may lead to none getting enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

rob316 wrote: »
    Just breaking now.

Fully behind him would really shake it up, bit of young blood. Anything but that corrupt dinosaur Blatter.

best of luck to him , he would be a breadth of fresh air , in comparison to that autocratic control freak Blatter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/10/said-and-done-gordon-taylor-ched-evans

I don't think there is much point in anyone running against the dirty corrupt erm...so and so.

I'm sure FIFA giving an £850,000 bonus to every single national federation will go down very well with the smaller poorer ones. It's just such good news they get it in the year they have to go to the trouble of voting for the next FIFA president.

Doesn't Blatter run against himself?

Since when has the dictatorship changed policy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I was reading somewhere that Ginola might not qualify to run, whats the criteria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

rarnes1 wrote: »

Blatter will **** him up. Next week we will be reading how Ginola was involved in match fixing and best friends with Jimmy savile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nominated by five football federations (i.e. FAI / FA) and have spent at least two of last five years before election working for such a body.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/when-saturday-comes-blog/2014/jun/06/fifa-election-rules-president-sepp-blatter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Vicxas wrote: »
    I was reading somewhere that Ginola might not qualify to run, whats the criteria?
    It's a PR stunt. It's not actually going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Oh, well...... now I feel silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

It seems fairly real to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

http://www.teamginola.com/

Trying to get people to pledge money. If this is a PR stunt they're going very far with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I see it nothing more then another rubbish stunt by a less then reputible bookie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

TheDoc wrote: »
    I see it nothing more then another rubbish stunt by a less then reputible bookie.

Because of a bit of messing on Twitter? A less than reputible bookie would be someone like betclic which has been known to rob players funds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I'm growing increasingly tired of Paddy Power's intrusion into the footballing sphere with unfunny publicity stunts and i reckon this will trivialise somewhat the serious business of loosening Blatter's dirty grip on world football.

I used to work in advertising for years before a career change and appreciate that stunts like this can be PR gold dust. Just I find their execution a bit crass and lowest common denominator.

It doesn't matter anyway. Blatter is 78 years old. This is his last go around tops and if he was beaten, *shrug*, doesn't matter. The damage is done already - he has already succeeded in achieving 17 years of making FIFA his personal fiefdom. The Platini era begins soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It doesn't matter anyway. Blatter is 78 years old. This is his last go around tops and if he was beaten, *shrug*, doesn't matter. The damage is done already - he has already succeeded in achieving 17 years of making FIFA his personal fiefdom. The Platini era begins soon.

I doubt a European will ever win again, or especially not one so 'pro UEFA' as Platini. Worth remembering that Blatter (whilst being Swiss) came via a FIFA backoffice route and beat the favourite, the then UEFA president Lennart Johannson, to the gig.
    The rest of the world see nothing positive in having a UEFA kingpin getting the FIFA job. I think Platini will lose to the most broadly acceptable African or SouthAmerican candidate.

edit : hmmmm, I see a potential bet somewhere down the line :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ridiculous.

I doubt a European will ever win again, or especially not one so 'pro UEFA' as Platini. Worth remembering that Blatter (whilst being Swiss) came via a FIFA backoffice route and beat the favourite, the then UEFA president Lennart Johannson, to the gig.
    The rest of the world see nothing positive in having a UEFA kingpin getting the FIFA job. I think Platini will lose to the most broadly acceptable African or SouthAmerican candidate.

edit : hmmmm, I see a potential bet somewhere down the line :-)

Fwiw, I like Platini. His reorganisation of European Club competitions has been very positive imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

What a massive fail of an event. The irony of Ginola being paid 250k to run for election by a fairly tiresome bookmaker to fight against corruption was bad enough, but when asked serious questions by the journalists he either didn't know what to say or the press officer had to cut in and stop the journalist in their track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'd be more interested in a campaign locally to call John Delaney and the FAI out on voting for Sepp Blatter as FIFA president for the FIFTH time

Vicxas wrote: »

Well if Sepp Blatter passes the criteria , i reckon it can't be too hards to be fit & proper .

Besides he could play football, not sure the fat dictator ever did ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

You do Know he voted for Qatar to host the World Cup in 2022.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/11/06/platini-has-no-regrets-over-qatar-vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'd be more interested in a campaign locally to call John Delaney and the FAI out on voting for Sepp Blatter as FIFA president for the FIFTH time

Where might one go to read up about that? I knew Delaney was (and, indeed, is) a blithering disgrace, but hadn't realised that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

greendom wrote: »
    and what's that got to do with this subject ?

Platini ex footballer.
    Ginola ex footballer.

Platini head of UEFA
    Ginola going for head of FIFA

Np

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just saw the presser from yesterday it was so bad he didn't have a clue.

Shame.

rob316 wrote: »
    Just saw the presser from yesterday it was so bad he didn't have a clue.

Shame.

Sadly Blatter is just a political monster , who knows how to play the adminanstion game , to boost his ever inflating ego, and to the detriment of football as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

It does seem a bit of a stunt though.

I looked just briefly at his wikipedia record and he seems only have done a bit of modelling and a lot of punditry since he resigned from his playing career.
    Surely you would need some experience working for a football association. And thats not even taking into account all the networking :pac: necessary to get yourself into a credible position for such an office.

Not a chance imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

What bothers me most about this is that PP are looking for £2,000,000 in kickstarting funding to back what is an advertising campaign.

And Ginola would be getting £130,000 of that 2 million. It's all very questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Because of a bit of messing on Twitter? A less than reputible bookie would be someone like betclic which has been known to rob players funds

Sorry only seeing this response now.

Multiple instances of not paying out bets in the Irish market, that rival bookies paid out on with no issues. I call them less then reputible as they have swindled themselves out of paying out punters, and from my few years in online poker there was some absolute horror stories. I had issues that were eventually resolved, but took nearly 4 months.

The fact its a "crowdfunding" thing should set of all the alarm bells. Thankfully people seem wise to whats going on, have raised less then 5% of the overall mount as of today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Platini ex footballer.
    Ginola ex footballer.

Platini head of UEFA
    Ginola going for head of FIFA

Np

good point, well made. Personally I think Platini has been a pretty decent head of UEFA. Early impressions are that Ginola has little of Platini's nous but time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Figo's adding his name to the list.

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/2269052/luis-figo-to-challenge-sepp-blatter-for-fifa-presidency

In the same spirit as Ginola's campaign but seems to have a little more weight behind it (PP involvement notwithstanding), but I still think that although their hearts are in the right place, they're playing on a lot of buzz words like "transparency" as the sole reason for their candidacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Ginola "campaign" is nothing more than advertising for Paddy Power. Pure and simple. He wouldn't even be allowed to run because (i) he hasn't been involved in football administration for at least 2 of the last 5 years and (ii) candidates aren't allowed to have any involvement with bookmakers.

Advertisement