Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training my new boss

Options
  • 15-01-2015 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Bit of a strange one, hopefully it's in the right place as I wasn't sure. I'm in a quite pressured and intense job and I love it. I keep on top of my workload by being very organised and working an hour late to organise myself for the next day. It suits me really as I live away from home mid week for work.

Anyways new colleague started with more experience in the particular role but not industry. My background is industry specific but I had less experience in the exact job when I started. I know she's senior to me and it's ok as I knew the score when she was hired.

I just feel after two weeks it's a bit much to start questioning everything I do. We had a high level of training and I'm good at my job so I know I'm doing things right. It's starting to both distract me at work and annoy me having to justify myself.

I'm not sure how to handle this as she's new and is my boss. I don't know her well enough to know how she could handle confrontation. Or if it's a good idea?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Maybe politely ask her how she thinks it should be done (not in a smart way) and if it doesn't make sense try to confuse her as much as possible (also in a nice way) so that she sees that questioning you is not her priority. Basically intellectually scare the **** out of her so she wont ask again,right now she thinks she knows everything show her she doesn't.

And I mean do this in the strictest most professional way,do it nicely but with assertiveness too,not smart arsed or aggressively.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Maybe politely ask her how she thinks it should be done (not in a smart way) and if it doesn't make sense try to confuse her as much as possible (also in a nice way) so that she sees that questioning you is not her priority. Basically intellectually scare the **** out of her so she wont ask again,right now she thinks she knows everything show her she doesn't.

And I mean do this in the strictest most professional way,do it nicely but with assertiveness too,not smart arsed or aggressively.

Thanks, yes I'm very much taking the approach of say nothing when I'm not sure. It's a tough one. I suspect it'll work itself out but I'm gonna be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Op could it be more a case that she being new to the business and is bringing in an outside perspective? It's very easy for a company to keep procedures simply cos they worked in the past. Your new colleague may have a fresh look on things.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Op could it be more a case that she being new to the business and is bringing in an outside perspective? It's very easy for a company to keep procedures simply cos they worked in the past. Your new colleague may have a fresh look on things.

Thanks. Im trying to keep an open mind about that too. The thing is we have a very specific industry that is very much about knowing the customers on a personal level and she isn't asking any relevant questions about that. When I try and explain anything as I'm doing it as we would normally train people it's met with severe resistence.

I'm hoping the weekend will give me time to reflect. I know I'm strong willed but very conscious of it in the workplace and pick the time to be assertive so am being very careful about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I have been in your situation before myself. Of course no two relationships are ever the same. You need to judge every situation on its merits but I would like to say the following.
    When hired or promoted into a position where you're really not having a clue at first about dynamics, procedures and how everything works in the company/position there is an immense amount of pressure - real or imagined - on the senior employee. You're very well aware that the people you're managing know everything and you know nothing. They may also be smarter than you. But yet you are expected to do your job well from the start and be seen by your own superiors to make a difference and leave your mark on the new team. If hired into a junior role it is widely accepted there is ramp up time. It doesn't feel like that when hired into a senior role.
    This can be very difficult to deal with and while a good manager should know how to deal with that its not always that easy to find your place in this. Managers are just people like you and me too and they may well be having their first go in such a role.
    I'd cut the manager some slack and try to look at it from their angle. For a time anyway. If they turn out to be insufferable fair enough but for the moment bear with it and try to help. Chances are it will work in your favour in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It could be that she's trying to make you think about what you're doing as opposed to just doing it because that's the way it's done. I've had bosses doing that. They're aren't questioning your work as such but more to make sure that you understand the reasoning behind it and can explain it properly. Especially if you've more experience than her. It might be coming across badly or not said in the right way but she could be on a massive learning curve and understanding it this way could help. It could also be, like someone else said, a way of challenging the "norms" to make sure there is real reason to do them as opposed it just being the "norm".

She could have also been tasked with making process improvements as part of her role so that could be influencing it. I think honestly, maybe just have a chat with her about it. If she's your new boss then there should be an open dialogue there between the two of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Have a chat and simply say that her challenging everything you do is rubbing you up the wrong way. Shes new, nervous and that really the last thing she wants to be doing so is probably unaware of it.

Boskowski wrote: »
    I have been in your situation before myself. Of course no two relationships are ever the same. You need to judge every situation on its merits but I would like to say the following.
    When hired or promoted into a position where you're really not having a clue at first about dynamics, procedures and how everything works in the company/position there is an immense amount of pressure - real or imagined - on the senior employee. You're very well aware that the people you're managing know everything and you know nothing. They may also be smarter than you. But yet you are expected to do your job well from the start and be seen by your own superiors to make a difference and leave your mark on the new team. If hired into a junior role it is widely accepted there is ramp up time. It doesn't feel like that when hired into a senior role.
    This can be very difficult to deal with and while a good manager should know how to deal with that its not always that easy to find your place in this. Managers are just people like you and me too and they may well be having their first go in such a role.
    I'd cut the manager some slack and try to look at it from their angle. For a time anyway. If they turn out to be insufferable fair enough but for the moment bear with it and try to help. Chances are it will work in your favour in the long term.

Thank you. Very much taking this approach which is why I haven't asked any colleague for advice. Don't want to taint this person from the start. I think while managers are human you don't need to prove your worth by belittling others. I am holding back judgment by being very careful about what I say and letting a lot go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Thank you. Very much taking this approach which is why I haven't asked any colleague for advice. Don't want to taint this person from the start. I think while managers are human you don't need to prove your worth by belittling others. I am holding back judgment by being very careful about what I say and letting a lot go.

You have to manage peoples expectations of you as a person. If she is acting like this and you don't let her know its not ok she will always treat you this way. You don't have to be abrupt about it or even confrontational but you do have to set the record straight.

You have to manage peoples expectations of you as a person. If she is acting like this and you don't let her know its not ok she will always treat you this way. You don't have to be abrupt about it or even confrontational but you do have to set the record straight.

You are right but theres another manager above us all who I respect and get on with really well. Due to increased work this new person is a new level of management which is needed. Im torn between having the conversation and letting it play out another week for our overall boss to call her on it as shes so quick to spot these things. Gonna think about it and have a plan for Monday

• Advertisement
Advertisement