Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confusing floor signs in Dundrum Shopping Centre

Options
  • 15-01-2015 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

In Dundrum Shopping Centre if you want to get back down to ground floor/street level to go to Luas or Dundrum village dont look for G or Ground Floor signs. They dont exist to get you back to street level . If in lift press 2, yes 2(normally the 2nd floor)to stop at G level. Confusing?.Baffling! Why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

zmccomish wrote: »
    In Dundrum Shopping Centre if you want to get back down to ground floor/street level to go to Luas or Dundrum village dont look for G or Ground Floor signs. They dont exist to get you back to street level . If in lift press 2, yes 2(normally the 2nd floor)to stop at G level. Confusing?.Baffling! Why?

There is no single "ground" - there are entrances to multiple floors from the outside world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

The 'ground' floor is different at either ends because it is built into a hill so the ground level at the tesco end is two floors higher than the ground level at the cinema/house of fraser end.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

And aren't the buttons in the lifts clearly marked to signal which level is relevant to each button?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

It is on a hill. The lowest level is street level if you leave the centre at the Mill Pond exit. Level 2 is street level if you leave at the Starbucks exit which would take you to Balally luas stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Maybe you could send the whole shopping centre back to the manufcturer for a refund under the "goods not as described" rule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

cml387 wrote: »
    Maybe you could send the whole shopping centre back to the manufcturer for a refund under the "goods not as described" rule.

Yup, only way to resolve this consumer issue is to shut the place down, demolish it, get rid of the hill, rebuild it and then we should have proper labels on the lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not really a Consumer Issue. In the interests of allowing the discussion to continue, I'm moving to the South County Dublin forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

As others have said the shopping centre is built into a hill which is why Ground level can be exited from all three levels.
    As someone who lives near the shopping centre I find that it is very much geared to people arriving by car rather than by foot or public transport. I think it would be useful to have some signage inside directing to pedestrian exits as if you're not used to the layout of the shopping centre the one beside Starbucks/Boots can be quite difficult to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I was there before Christmas and can't say that I found it very hard to find my way around. As others have said it is built on a hill so there is no real G level. The leafet that they have with the maps make it easy enough to find where you need to go and the lifts have things clearly marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I agree with christmas2010 - it's not really geared up for arriving on foot. For example, if you start at the public car park (yeah, I know, not really arriving on foot as such) on the main street and look at the centre you see a big wall, a sort of laneway thing, some apartments, etc . . . There's nothing saying "Entrance" or "This way to the shopping centre."

If you want to get to Argos (and you don't know which end it's at, you are faced with walking to one end or the other and hoping you don't have to walk all the way to the other end to find your shop.

Just sayin'.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭zmccomish

As the contributor who started the discussion it would make some sense if the lift nr. Starbucks bore a sign that even if the sign said No.2 that in fact it was the Ground Floor for Exit to the Luas ,buses, pedestrians fro0m local area.The present signage at this Exit is a nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

zmccomish wrote: »
    As the contributor who started the discussion it would make some sense if the lift nr. Starbucks bore a sign that even if the sign said No.2 that in fact it was the Ground Floor for Exit to the Luas ,buses, pedestrians fro0m local area.The present signage at this Exit is a nonsense

But it's not the Ground Floor. Each of the 3 main levels are 'ground floor' because of the unique design of the centre. And while the Starbucks exit is probably nearest to the Luas, you can easily get to the Luas, buses, pedestirans from any of the 3 levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Hmm, "unique design" is sure is, what with being built in a valley, over a river and all. But that's another days story, eh?

In other terms, I think you'll find that the grand old dame that is the original DL Shopping Centre on Marine Road is built on a hill and has exits on multiple levels.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

and The Square in Tallaght is the exact same, enter at the 75 bus terminal and you're on the top floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

.. and the Blackrock SC. It's hardly unique :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

OK, ok, so the 'unique' was a bit of a stretch. In fairness, the DL shopping centre does have upper shopping levels (1 or 2) that don't have an exit to ground level. I can't quite remember the story in the Square or Blackrock.

But either way, it is a good design, built nicely into the surrounding land. It means that shoppers can exit from their own floor, without worrying about lifts or escalators. I really don't see what the problem with signage is.

Advertisement