Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Christmas Stock Availability & Pricing?

Options
  • 16-01-2015 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I started collecting Lego in November after getting a present for my Birthday. Since then I've bought a few kits from the Lego store and one from Argos.

I got a few vouchers for Christmas but Argos seems to have virtually no stock at the moment (primarily interested in Star Wars and one or two pieces from the Lego Movie). According to checkargos.com, most items are out of stock all over the country.

I was in Smyths in Jervis St. earlier this week and they only seem to have one or two kits from each range in stock. I know new SW kits are due next week but for those of you who have been collecting a while, is it customary for the shops to be so empty of Lego post Christmas?

Secondly, pricing. I've noticed most items in shops here correspond to the RRP on the Lego store. However, both "Batman & Super Angry Kitty Attack, 70817" and the "Double Decker Couch, 70818" are more expensive here, in the case of 70818, it's RRP is €12.99 but it's €20.49 here. Can you let me know if this is common practice?

Thanks,

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Prices change all the time, from what I can see when new sets come out both Smyths and Argos will price them slightly higher than RRP however over the course of the year the prices change all the time. Early in the new year is usually pretty bad for getting deals.

Both will also have sales, Smyths will usually do 20% off once or twice a year, two years ago they had 20% off over Easter while last year it wasn't until later in the year around September. Argos will do 3 for 2 across all their toys and can often have additional discounts on top of that. This year they had 20% off Star Wars sets and 3/2 at the same time making for some great savings.

Both shops seem to be in the process of changing over stock, Argos are awful for listing sets that won't come into stock for a good while. Smyths seem to be waiting on a new shipment as when I was in my local shop last week their Lego shelves were stripped bare, I presume in preparation for the new sets to get delivered.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Prices change all the time, from what I can see when new sets come out both Smyths and Argos will price them slightly higher than RRP however over the course of the year the prices change all the time. Early in the new year is usually pretty bad for getting deals.

Both will also have sales, Smyths will usually do 20% off once or twice a year, two years ago they had 20% off over Easter while last year it wasn't until later in the year around September. Argos will do 3 for 2 across all their toys and can often have additional discounts on top of that. This year they had 20% off Star Wars sets and 3/2 at the same time making for some great savings.

Both shops seem to be in the process of changing over stock, Argos are awful for listing sets that won't come into stock for a good while. Smyths seem to be waiting on a new shipment as when I was in my local shop last week their Lego shelves were stripped bare, I presume in preparation for the new sets to get delivered.

Thanks for that. I was just wondering if the lack of stock was a traditional occurrence after Christmas. Smyths had multiples of the Lego Snowspeeder & one other kit on Monday night along with one Death Star and two Sandcrawlers, definitely a far cry from how packed the shelves were with variety before Christmas. Argos just appears to be a barren waste at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

New Argos catalogue is up. All the big sets have been removed. Biggest at the moment is a massively overpriced Technic 24 Hour Race Car. Bit of a balls for us who've vouchers. Find myself thinking about The Brick Bounty though. Fond memories of getting Black Seas Barracuda* as a kid and these seems very similar.

*Must go digging in my parents attic to see what condition it's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

New Argos catalogue is up. All the big sets have been removed. Biggest at the moment is a massively overpriced Technic 24 Hour Race Car. Bit of a balls for us who've vouchers. Find myself thinking about The Brick Bounty though. Fond memories of getting Black Seas Barracuda* as a kid and these seems very similar.

*Must go digging in my parents attic to see what condition it's in.
    Smyths have it at almost the same price €132.99.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

See a lot of the new starwars sets are coming in now, don't see argos or smyths stocking the "Hailfire Droid 75085" set.

• Advertisement
Advertisement