Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to change broadband... anyone using sky at the moment in navan?

Options
  • 16-01-2015 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Im with eircom at the moment for phone and BB and am paying 55 a month for anytime calls and 1mb unlimited download BB (yes - 1mb speed BB as i am a little outside the town).

I was using bonkers.ie to check pricing as i was reading a thread in bargain alerts about it (nest controller/electric ireland) and i checked phone packages while i was there.

Im too far outside the town for UPC, so my only options are eircom (im with them), sky, vodafone, digiweb and magnet.

Sky seem to have a package inc. anytime calls and unlimited download BB for 37.50 for first 6 months then 47.50

It beats my current eircom package of 55 euro for same at the moment (and im out of contract on both BB and calls with eircom so i would have no prob switching to another supplier at the moment.

I know if i change supplier my BB speeds wont magically increase and i prob will still be at only 1mb speed, so its a case of saving a few quid over the next year or so verus what im currently paying.

Believe it or not but i do need unlimited download BB as i have kids who are constantly on youtube/netflix and often hit 30 - 50gig download a month - even with only 1mb of speed! :D

So before i think of moving supplier, can anyone who uses/has used sky for phone/BB in the navan area give me any cons/pros on the service? - customer service/do they send out a decent wifi router or a useless one/etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Have a look at Digiweb fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Do you really need unlimited calls? I normally use my mobile, landline is for weekends only in my case.

I have just signed up for BB + Evening/Weekend calls for €30 for 6 months and €40 thereafter.

Had to pay €50 for the same service from Eircom. They have offered me €10 monthly discount for 6 months recently but I would have to commit to another 12 months with them. All other providers are offering better deals at the moment.

I assume your speeds would be the same after the switch, you will just pay less for the very same speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

bladespin wrote: »
    Have a look at Digiweb fibre

Not a chance of fibre near me for a few years yet i reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

wonski wrote: »
    Do you really need unlimited calls? I normally use my mobile, landline is for weekends only in my case.

I have just signed up for BB + Evening/Weekend calls for €30 for 6 months and €40 thereafter.

Had to pay €50 for the same service from Eircom. They have offered me €10 monthly discount for 6 months recently but I would have to commit to another 12 months with them. All other providers are offering better deals at the moment.

I assume your speeds would be the same after the switch, you will just pay less for the very same speed.

Yep, it will be same 1mb as now id say. didnt think about going the evening/weekend calls route, suppose it makes sense as we only use landline to ring out on rare occasions anyways.

Im getting plagued by eircom trying to get me to sign up to another 12 months at the moment for very little off to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Access wrote: »
    Yep, it will be same 1mb as now id say. didnt think about going the evening/weekend calls route, suppose it makes sense as we only use landline to ring out on rare occasions anyways.

Im getting plagued by eircom trying to get me to sign up to another 12 months at the moment for very little off to be honest.

No need to pay extra for something you don't use anyway.

Vodafone is €35 for broadband only.

Sky looks like the best option if landline is in use.

When it comes to CS experience - they are all the same really. Have friends on vodafone / sky / upc / eircom and they say the same bad things about their providers;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ben9195

I recently called Eircom as I was out of contract. I was on up to 3mb broadband and free anytime Ireland calls. They offered me free upgrade up to 24mb broadband and 15 euros a month off for 6 months if I renewed my contract for 12 months.They also offered me a new modem for free. I went with it and glad I did. My download speed is now 14.88mb all day but drops to about 5.2 after 5pm. Still a major improvement on the 1.55mb to 0.98mb that I was getting before. I still have my free anytime local and national calls.

I also know that if there is service problem Eircom will fix it without undue delay. My neighbor went to sky and has had no service for the past week. Sky say it's an Eircom problem and Eircom say it is a Sky problem. I have also heard of many other cases where this is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Hold out for another year as navan and the sticks are inline for the first phase of this esb/vodaphone mashup. Should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Vego wrote:
    Hold out for another year as navan and the sticks are inline for the first phase of this esb/vodaphone mashup. Should be good

is there any info on where this is going to be rolled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Over on the broadband section ...navan is definitely one of the first phase rollouts but ....as to when exactly it is is the question but the speeds achieved in the tests up in Cavan were phenomenal

Advertisement