Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Dublin Fee Paying Schools

• 16-01-2015 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just looking for a little advice on Fee Paying Schools in South Dublin, in particular Rockbrook Park School in Rathfarnham.

We are on the look out for a school for our son for Sept 2015 and have heard some excellent reports about Rockbrook. However, I have also heard one or two stories which would make me a little hesitant to send my son there. These stories relate mainly to discipline and how the school has failed to deal with the issues.

Should this be a big concern for me, I know my son will be well behaved and doesn't associate with trouble makers. However, might his education be compromised because of this lack of discipline???

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya be careful of the discipline stories. They could be from other disgruntled parents who weren't happy that a child wasn't given 20 lashes after their own son was wronged in some trivial way.

Maybe try and pop in during school time to discuss enrolment and it might give you a better sense of a school.
    Also consider if your young lad might be leaving his primary school mates to go it alone in one particular school. Is there a good house system? Or tutor/year head system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It has Opus Dei connections. This may or may not influence you choosing it as a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TripleAAA

What or who are Opus Dei?

Should I be concerned?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They are a group within the Catholic Church. There's a lot about them online.
    I suggest, if you are Catholic, you speak to your own priest about them and ask his advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TripleAAA

Thanks, yeah I've just read a few things about them.

Shouldn't be an issue!

Are schools that are more easy going or more discipline oriented, more successful?

• Advertisement

TripleAAA wrote: »
    Are schools that are more easy going or more discipline oriented, more successful?

Do you mean in terms of results?
    It's easy be successful in terms of results, you just don't take the kids in who need extra help.

Schools with a good learning environment, where children are happy going into class, whether they be strict disciplinary regimes or not, tend to get good results and produce happy well-rounded people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

TripleAAA wrote: »
    What or who are Opus Dei?

Should I be concerned?
    Personally, I would be, but you and everybody else must make their own decisions on that point.

Advertisement