Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 yr US Graduate Visa

Options
  • 16-01-2015 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm interested in going on the graduate visa. I recently graduated in Biomedical Engineering and am wondering does anyone have any good info on things such as;

-Best city to go for work in this area
    -Best way of finding work before going over....etc

Any information at all would be really helpful, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

Do you already have the visa? That is, can you go to an employer and they can hire you in the same way (with no additional hassle) as they would a US citizen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Hi,

I'm interested in going on the graduate visa. I recently graduated in Biomedical Engineering and am wondering does anyone have any good info on things such as;

-Best city to go for work in this area
    -Best way of finding work before going over....etc

Any information at all would be really helpful, thanks.

The big areas for biomedical eng are

San Francisco Penninsula
    Indianapolis
    Nutley

All the big ones are represented there. I work for a biomed company outside of san francisco so can try and point you in the right direction

Just FYI - you do have to be careful how to couch things when you approach companies - you are not "just like an american" as one of replies stated. You're on a pretty restricted visa. Permanent jobs are very competitive and set you up for a long time here, companies will not hire you for those sort of roles, but rather more intern side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TripleSSS

The big areas for biomedical eng are

San Francisco Penninsula
    Indianapolis
    Nutley

All the big ones are represented there. I work for a biomed company outside of san francisco so can try and point you in the right direction

Just FYI - you do have to be careful how to couch things when you approach companies - you are not "just like an american" as one of replies stated. You're on a pretty restricted visa. Permanent jobs are very competitive and set you up for a long time here, companies will not hire you for those sort of roles, but rather more intern side of things

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking San Fran was the place to go alright, that kinda what I was leaning too. Is Nutley in New Jersey?

Would you have advice on how to apply to companies and which are the best ones to apply too, maybe even some and tips on a resume?

Would you know of some contact I could get in touch with? Any help is really appreciated! I have 6 months experience in a biomedical company already if that is of any help.

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking San Fran was the place to go alright, that kinda what I was leaning too. Is Nutley in New Jersey?

Would you have advice on how to apply to companies and which are the best ones to apply too, maybe even some and tips on a resume?

Would you know of some contact I could get in touch with? Any help is really appreciated! I have 6 months experience in a biomedical company already if that is of any help.

There are tons in san francisco area

http://biopharmguy.com/links/company-by-name-northern-california.php

I obviously won't say who I work for in public forum, but it is a great field to get into - all of them look after their employees well.

Unfortunately, I am in the tech side of the biotech so don't know too much about the engineering aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TripleSSS

Do you think i should get the visa first and then apply or should i try apply now before i have the visa sorted? I plan on going in mid June

• Advertisement

VISA first...saves you and them wasting time now

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lough2015

Hey I am curious as to how people found jobs when in the USA. Do you look online or go into places? I can imagine not a lot of internships or jobs in business or law available.
    Thanks

Advertisement