Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Online Games Do You Miss Playing?

Options
  • 16-01-2015 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

I think for some or most online gamers, we all had that one game that we all played at the one time, all the time. There were times you did play other games either on your own or on co-op with one or two friends, but there was that one game or franchise you all joined in on at least once every night.

For me it was Gears of War. I used to play those games almost every single night with up to 7 other friends. And it was the most fun I ever had on Xbox Live.

If it was more than 5 of us, we would split into two separate teams against each other. If it was 5 of us or less, we would co-op (Horde Mode if it was Gears 2/3). If it wasn't Gears of War, the closest we got was Full House Poker.

Sadly, the older we get, we're bound to get on with our own lives. I do still play games online but only occasionally now. I focus more on single-player games nowadays and my PC games. If I do play with anyone, it's with my girlfriend on split screen (she loves Minecraft and Diablo III so that's our go-to games). Sometimes I do play with one of my friends on Xbox Live. I played Destiny with 3 others a few weeks ago but I don't think anything is going to top the sheer fun I had playing Gears between 2007 - 2011.

"Too Long Didn't Read" Version: I miss playing Gears of War online.

What online games do you miss playing? I guess it can be any number of reasons why you don't play it/them anymore (servers either taken down or just not populated nowadays)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Quakeworld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

COD Modern Warfare. The series is gone to absolute sh*te now but that was a lot of fun to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

mechcommander and dark age of Camelot..... had sooooo much fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Battlefield 1942 / Vietnam / 2

the latest are just dumbed down COD clones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Metal Gear Online 2 (MGS4) and Monster Hunter on the PS2.

Both of these have unforgettable moments for me which is a sign of a good game in my opinion. I would've added Resident Evil Outbreak to that list but I can play that online again thanks to the server recreation project :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

COD MW2
    Everybody's Golf World Tour
    Destiny but only 'cos I'm in work now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

kingtiger wrote: »
    Battlefield 1942 / Vietnam / 2

the latest are just dumbed down COD clones

Ohh Battlefield Vietnam, what a game. I loved flying a Huey troop carrier to and from the battlefield with fresh meat to the slaughter. The laughs I had in college with that one.

Counter Stike 1.6, miss the 60-100 player LANs we used to setup to run 5v5 tournaments.

I miss some of the MMOs to but I had a problem :( so I sold the PC 7 years ago and went 360, One and have not looked back. Still miss them sometimes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Quakeworld
    Quake 3
    Cs 1.6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

MOH:AA
    COD 2 / COD 4
    Warcraft 3

• Registered Users Posts: 33,559 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Team Fortress 2 on PS3.

Never played a game more online than it. It was incredible, and unlike most online games, I was actually pretty good at it. Then, due to college and work, I stopped playing it for a few months. Then I decided to try and get back into it.

Holy hell. The amount of glitching and exploits people were using... Constantly getting slaughtered before realising the person shooting me was up in the sky. My own teammates leaving teleport pads which put you stuck somewhere just outside the game map. Engineers building sentry guns in a place where they could shoot you but you couldn't shoot them...

Ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Gears of War 3 here as well, the pvp multiplayer rewarded skilled players, it wasnt bogged down with loadouts, perks killstreaks etc. some insanely tense matches wallbouncing around checkout and blooddrive trying to clutch a 2 or 3v1.

horde mode was incredible fun, there was a great sense of cameraderie as well, players leaving early would hand out all their money to the survivors.

my top gaming memory of all time was being the last man standing in the final round of Insane mode horde against a lambent berzerker on the map "academy", I was cornered at the top of the steps area and managed to get the kill with the last shot left in my torque bow. the cheering through my headset was deafening. we actually got a top 10 in the world score for that game, which was quickly knocked way down the ranks as the Insane Horde group from the epic games forum started tackling it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Rust.
    A good few boardsies had stupidly good times in it. I remember some days we were playing 14h and back again playing after few hours of sleep. was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Rust.
    A good few boardsies had stupidly good times in it. I remember some days we were playing 14h and back again playing after few hours of sleep. was awesome.

I thought that only came out last year? why has it fallen off so quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Left 4 Dead

I think the best online game I've ever played. Had a crew of 4-6 friends who would just play it every night and never got bored of it. For some reason, we never got into L4D 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Gears of War 3 here as well, the pvp multiplayer rewarded skilled players, it wasnt bogged down with loadouts, perks killstreaks etc. some insanely tense matches wallbouncing around checkout and blooddrive trying to clutch a 2 or 3v1.

horde mode was incredible fun, there was a great sense of cameraderie as well, players leaving early would hand out all their money to the survivors.

my top gaming memory of all time was being the last man standing in the final round of Insane mode horde against a lambent berzerker on the map "academy", I was cornered at the top of the steps area and managed to get the kill with the last shot left in my torque bow. the cheering through my headset was deafening. we actually got a top 10 in the world score for that game, which was quickly knocked way down the ranks as the Insane Horde group from the epic games forum started tackling it regularly.

Only on Gears of War could you get tense moments like that. Back when it was all in-game chat (no party chat) and you couldn't hear a single team mate (from them all being killed) so the pressure was mental.

There won't be another game like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

My best experience in co-op was actually Saints Row 2. Incredible amount of fun.
    COD Modern Warfare. The series is gone to absolute sh*te now but that was a lot of fun to be fair.

Wouldn't say that. Black Ops 2 could be my favourite COD ever and Advanced Warfare is enjoyable once you get used to the movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭maximoose

Original Halo 2 MP

First game that really hooked me on online gaming. Made a lot of online friends that I still play with today, but nowhere near as often.

Even aside from the matchmaking which was immense, the amount of hours spent just pissing around in custom games, zombies/infection, sword-glitching out of maps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Ultima Online when it first released. Team Fortress Classic and when Counter Strike was in Beta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

L4D for me, back when I was part of a group/informal clan. Miss those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

call of duty 2 for Xbox 360 when it first came out was the first online game i played and i was amazed! loved that online,also COD 3 and of course COD 4! great times! now i hate the call of duty games,they are too repetitive! have not played in a while but the battlefields are much better now!
    also loved playing pro evolution 6 online (Adriano on the cover)
    and lastly,the first "fight night" for Xbox 360 was amazing and the online was brilliant!
    like the OP i was more into it before but people have moved on and i play the Xbox occasionally (maybe a lot more if friends played it) hopefully i get that same buzz back some day as online gaming was/is some great fun!!... without them 12 year olds annoying your head of coarse :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

4 player games of Homeworld with my mates.
    DayZ when people didn't just shoot everyone on sight.
    CS Source back in college, with the compsoc lads.
    World of Warcraft, back in the day :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Duke Nukem 3D (more often lan than online)
    Red Alert (mainly LAN)
    Global Agenda (still available but a ghost town, hoping GA2 will be good)
    Planetside 1 (still available but a ghost town, playing PS2 but PS1 was better imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Project Gotham Racing 2 - Xbox

My first online console experience. It made for some great races.

Interestingly most of the players used to make up their own online modes within a standard race like cat and mouse and last man standing.

These modes were then included in the main online portion of PGR3 on the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Only on Gears of War could you get tense moments like that.

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and Counter-Strike for two similar examples off the top of my head. I'm sure others could find many many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Left 4 Dead 1 & 2

Ran a community with another guy who lived in America, we had a couple of hundred members which we ran for a few years. Made a lot of friends I'm still in contact with and was easily the fun time I've ever had online.

Tried bringing the old servers back around September but the interest just wasn't there anymore, which was a pity.

DayZ

Was brilliant when it first started, the sheer terror of zombies / running into another person and deciding whether to trust them or not. It was a zombie game but now it's just PvP with marauding clans and the zombies not being the threat anymore.

Rust

They wasted time messing with the new engine (spending too much time on things like hats and gun textures) and the legacy is riddled to fúck with hackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

MAG on PS3 was a fun game. Took me ages to figure out what was going on in the larger game mode, but it was well managed for a game that allowed 256 players per match. Shame the servers were shut down a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Red Alert, AvP1 and MechWarrior 2. All on an ancient service called Mplayer. The infancy of online gaming. It's come a long way since then in terms of accessibility.

But the most fun I had was playing games with my buddies in an Internet Café in town called Netzone. We used to pull all nighters. Counter-strike, Age of Empires, Warcraft3, C&C Generals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

God, forgot about AVP multiplayer, especially AVP2 where you could play as the facehugger.

That was hilarious to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I thought that only came out last year? why has it fallen off so quickly?

They pretty much scrapped the old build and started from a scratch new one. Problem is, that new build has a lot more eye candy and features, but it lost its spirit with random generated maps.
    Then again other boardsies were pussies and could not handle Miskies Military hand and My communist regime. :pac:

I miss good old days were we would start off in some new server. All work together to build a massive shack just to survive and then pretty much turn it in to a massive hotels with everyone having their own rooms and stashes. that game was so amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Can't believe no one has mentioned Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory yet! It was so epic...

Advertisement