Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 6 and there's the big rug pull :D Gotta say this season really looks the bee knees, the use of the 2.39:1 anamorphic lens lending all the planetside scenes a uniquely cinematic aspect. I get the stylistic reasons for it, but it'd be cool if they went with it full time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Sadly I haven't been able to watch this since it left Netflix.

Shame as I really enjoyed the show, can't justify another subscription service for one show. Hopefully it comes back onto Netflix in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Got through season 4 over the xmas break, really enjoyed it. Going to feel like a long wait 'til season 5 appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,478 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Really feel like this was the only best season.

Miller bits and the overarching alien stuff is still lost on me but the other plots this season had me gripped.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Shame as I really enjoyed the show, can't justify another subscription service for one show. Hopefully it comes back onto Netflix in the future.

I got a month free when I bought something on Amazon so rolling through as many shows as I can over the month. Aside from this though, Amazon Prime seems less polished and less user friendly than Netflix so far, I won't be keeping it. Nothing to do with the show, I'd have happily paid a few pounds to watch it, rather than sign up to a subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Absolutely no reason why
    Ashford wouldn't kill Inaros when he knew he'd be spaced anyways.
    And absolutley no way the Ashford they've built in the show wouldn't have taken that exchange too given the circumstances. Bit silly, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I found this season pretty weak, not a patch on season two or three. The side plots with Bobbi and the OPA were dull and the whole New Terra plot felt dragged out and like it could've been handled in two or three episodes. honestly.. not an awful lot actually happened.

I have heard the book it was based on is the weakest in the series so hopefully it's just because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Cina wrote: »
    I found this season pretty weak, not a patch on season two or three. The side plots with Bobbi and the OPA were dull and the whole New Terra plot felt dragged out and like it could've been handled in two or three episodes. honestly.. not an awful lot actually happened.

I have heard the book it was based on is the weakest in the series so hopefully it's just because of that.

Just finished the season and this sums up my feelings too. Felt like the whole thing could have been condensed into 5-6 episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

Prime would cost you £8 for the entire season if you just did a single month, if you genuinely like the show it's hardly a home-crippling cost.

Reasons like the above will get the show cancelled. I bougt S2 and S3 on Blu-Ray just to support the show, got Amazon Prime just to support S4 and ensure we get future seasons.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Similar here, signed up in November. Got free shipping on Xmas pressies. Watched Jack Ryan, S1 of The Boys and S4 of Expanse.
    Will cancel just before next subscription date

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I got the free Prime month in early December but have only just finished re watching S1 - S3. Will go on to S4 this week.

I'm also watching Parks and Recreation on Prime which is hilarious. And I'll watch the Boys and a few other bits before cancelling it, unless I find more stuff to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Synode wrote: »
    I got the free Prime month in early December but have only just finished re watching S1 - S3. Will go on to S4 this week.

I'm also watching Parks and Recreation on Prime which is hilarious. And I'll watch the Boys and a few other bits before cancelling it, unless I find more stuff to watch.

Undone is excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 9 and props to the design of the alien tech, definitely looked properly not of this earth, imbuing things with a decent level of the uncanny.
    the robot
    being the obvious standout in elements distinctly non human.

Kinda hear the complaints about the overall pace of things. This season just hasn't been quite as snappy or inexorable as prior runs but you can place the blame on the source novel.

Bar a couple of notable omissions the show has stayed faithful to events, which in the written form was always more of a "bottle episode" of a novel - which doesn't quite translate to an always thrilling TV season.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

pixelburp wrote: »
    Episode 9 and props to the design of the alien tech, definitely looked properly not of this earth, imbuing things with a decent level of the uncanny.
    the robot
    being the obvious standout in elements distinctly non human.

Kinda hear the complaints about the overall pace of things. This season just hasn't been quite as snappy or inexorable as prior runs but you can place the blame on the source novel.

Bar a couple of notable omissions the show has stayed faithful to events, which in the written form was always more of a "bottle episode" of a novel - which doesn't quite translate to an always thrilling TV season.

Yep, on reflection, I felt the off-Ilus parts of this season kinda left them rushing the Ilus story a bit. Really looking forward to how they adapt the next couple of books. Currently reading book 8... Sweet Jebus I hope the show last through to these story lines. Fantastic stuff.

fitz wrote: »
    Yep, on reflection, I felt the off-Ilus parts of this season kinda left them rushing the Ilus story a bit. Really looking forward to how they adapt the next couple of books. Currently reading book 8... Sweet Jebus I hope the show last through to these story lines. Fantastic stuff.

It's the curse of the multi season show really; everyone has to have something to do (and presumably have contracts), even if they didn't feature in the original novel - as was the case with Bobby and Avarasala. So the Ilus residents lost out to Bobby's slightly dull subplot, which was a shame cos part of the problem was the lack of properly grounded stakes and personalities on New Terra.

I finished Nemesis Games a while back, which definitely ratcheted up the threat and tension after Cibola Burn (season 4), but hadn't really been counting overall. Crazy to think there's 8, feels like loads. There any sense of the series coming to a natural end?

I finished Nemesis Games a while back, which definitely ratcheted up the threat and tension after Cibola Burn (season 4), but hadn't really been counting overall. Crazy to think there's 8, feels like loads. There any sense of the series coming to a natural end?

Yes, it definitely feels like it's moving towards a conclusion. 9th and final book due this year, hopefully won't have too long to wait...

Hopefully then Amazon give the runway to complete the series. Season 5 was already greenlit so only 4 more to go then!

Started S4 last night after re-watching 1 to 3 over last month or so. Holden looks much skinnier this season. Or more tired or something. Maybe it's the goatee. Also, a new actor playing Arjun Avasarala. Wonder what happened the old guy

Hopefully then Amazon give the runway to complete the series. Season 5 was already greenlit so only 4 more to go then!

I suspect we might see less of a 1:1 book-to-season adaptation from here on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

Synode wrote: »
    Also, a new actor playing Arjun Avasarala. Wonder what happened the old guy

https://twitter.com/liberalhamlet/status/1205669541058990082

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Amos bursting into laughter or a big grin is a deeply weird visual :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what was actually happening on the planet? will we find out later?

Im so confused

was it readying the planet for the return of its original occupants? or the invaders

would it not have been better to let what ever was happening happen?

finished this season

Have you finished the series? Do they not say what it was because the book does (as far as I remember)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

what was actually happening on the planet? will we find out later?

Im so confused

was it readying the planet for the return of its original occupants? or the invaders

would it not have been better to let what ever was happening happen?

finished this season

The one thing they didn't state in the show but do in the books is that the planet was terraformed by those machines into a gigantic gas station for the gate builders. That's why there was so much lithium on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

I love this show but this was the weakest season for me.

One inconstancy that bothered me
    The slug thing. One minute they can't walk anywhere inside the alien structure because these luminous slugs are dropping from the ceiling instantly killing anyone they touch. A short while later they're strolling around leaning against the walls not a bother on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I love this show but this was the weakest season for me.

One inconstancy that bothered me
    The slug thing. One minute they can't walk anywhere inside the alien structure because these luminous slugs are dropping from the ceiling instantly killing anyone they touch. A short while later they're strolling around leaning against the walls not a bother on them.

Think that had something to do with the receding water but was not mentioned in the show.

... ... And done. Episode 10 & the season finally finished.

Nothing to add from my previous comments, though a little surprised it gave the game away about Marco's intentions;
    Ashford dying was sad to see, though I knew it was coming as soon as he went on his own after Marco.
    . Despite not being from the books, Ashford has been a great addition to the universe; the salty, world-weary old dog, who had softened while shouldering some responsibility. David Strathairn is one of those unheralded actors you see playing side characters, always lifting them (and the production) with his style

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Ive been recommended this show by a friend. Any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

As someone eagerly awaiting season 5, I'd say yes.
    Sci-fi with a lot of accurate science to back up the fiction.
    Great characters too.

Advertisement