Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

hit and miss really, it did have a great story but a bit over the top in s2-3 think thats where i left it, but one of the better space sci-fi out there atm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thread merged. So yes, a fairly popular show. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Ive been recommended this show by a friend. Any good?

Best sci-fi since BSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

I was also about to say the same, it's the finest sci-fi to hit TV since Battlestar.

I bought S2/S3 on blu-ray to support the show (never even opened the cellophane) and signed up to Amazon Prime just to support S4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

sweetie wrote: »
    Best sci-fi since BSG

And even then, only about halfway through season 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Ive been recommended this show by a friend. Any good?

Your friend has good taste in television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

it's starts off a bit slow in S1 but builds up nicely and S3 is just fantastic imo. I was pretty disappointed with S4 though I must admit. Hopefully the next series picks up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

it's starts off a bit slow in S1 but builds up nicely and S3 is just fantastic imo. I was pretty disappointed with S4 though I must admit. Hopefully the next series picks up again.

As a book reader book 4 was one of the slower ones, but just wait until season 5! Which covers nemesis games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That Season 4 just gone was fine, just suffered from the previous seasons having set the bar so high. The book was also a change of pace to something slower, effectively swapping the planet/asteroid hopping adventures for a planetary mystery.

But yeah, Season 5, if done right, is going to be a shift back to the interstellar sh*tstorm - and then some. Am reading Nemesis Games ATM and honestly not sure how the writers can possibly unf*ck this situation they've put themselves into.

love the show and books so much.
    s1 takes a few eps to get into. i think i gave up on it twice before sticking through a few eps and quickly becoming obsessed

• Advertisement

Good news, against the context of the disrupted worldwide production schedules: The Expanse Season 5 managed to finish shooting before the broad shutdown: the info came out via Shohreh Aghdashloo's Twitter. Amos grinning warmly, in a reversed baseball cap, is a very strange image :) I suspect release will still be delayed, given post-production will likely be Remote based and need more time to complete.

https://twitter.com/SAghdashloo/status/1252377994569474049

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Saw on twitter that Cas Anvar is being accused of multiple cases of harassment and Sexual Assault.

https://twitter.com/itreachesout/status/1275868311931293696?s=21

Well then. If there's any traction to this I'd rather they just recast and don't try any of that "Alex returned to his home planet" bullshít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well then. If there's any traction to this I'd rather they just recast and don't try any of that "Alex returned to his home planet" bullshít.

Agreed. I'd far prefer a different Alex than they deviate from whatever storylines they may have planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

only found this thread now .

like the show a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I'm actually not that fond of the actor and much prefer the character in the books so I'd be more than happy with a recast. Would they be willing to re-shoot scenes to remove him out of the current series. As the pilot he has a lot of scenes where he's on his own or appearing on screens, it could be done

stesaurus wrote: »
    I'm actually not that fond of the actor and much prefer the character in the books so I'd be more than happy with a recast. Would they be willing to re-shoot scenes to remove him out of the current series. As the pilot he has a lot of scenes where he's on his own or appearing on screens, it could be done

Not easily: Season 5 finished shooting months ago and they're in post-production. With CoVid there's no realistic way they could add some "new Alex" scenes without it looking bloody awful - not to mention the various scenes where he's spitballing with Naomi, Amos or whatever.

It depends how strongly they feel. He'll be a big part of the series and will bring a lot of unwanted attention. Its possible if they cut scenes, reduce others and have him more of character left on the ship and communicating over comms, very easy to change out an actor on those type of scenes. Just cut out the whole
    ex wife and child mars story line
    and flesh him out more the following season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

How disappointing. :( I like Alex a lot, he and Amos are my favourites on the Roci crew. I don't envy the showrunners the decision they are left with now. Recasts never work particularly well. It was fine with Arjun as he's a really minor character but completely different for Alex. But getting rid of him wouldn't be great either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Nah. Recasts don't work.

Better to say that he just buggered off in between series.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Nah. Recasts don't work.

Better to say that he just buggered off in between series.

Cas Anvar isn't a particularly strong actor in the first place, nor was Alex's story especially striking that a recast would be completely egregious.

IIRC a few characters in Game of Thrones were recast so it's not uncommon; admittedly that was a more ensemble show.

iguana wrote: »
    How disappointing. :( I like Alex a lot, he and Amos are my favourites on the Roci crew. I don't envy the showrunners the decision they are left with now. Recasts never work particularly well. It was fine with Arjun as he's a really minor character but completely different for Alex. But getting rid of him wouldn't be great either.

I didn't even realise who Arjun was until about half way through the last series. I had thought he was a completely new character

Cas Anvar isn't a particularly strong actor in the first place, nor was Alex's story especially striking that a recast would be completely egregious.

The same can be said for him just leaving between series though. Wasn;t there something in S3 about him wanting to go back home anyway? I can't recall.

Recasts are just a no-no for me generally, however. They never sit well.

In any case, these are just allegations at the moment. I don't think there's anything solid been provided yet.

Not that that's a requirement these days of course.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The authors speak:

https://twitter.com/AbrahamHanover/status/1276570006466072576

They seem to be handling it well so far, no knee jerk reaction.

Good

CatInABox wrote: »
    The authors speak:

https://twitter.com/AbrahamHanover/status/1276570006466072576

They seem to be handling it well so far, no knee jerk reaction.

Good, common sense move, though were the actor more popular or famous the cynic in me would presume the "independent" investigation amounted to an astro turf exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

stesaurus wrote: »
    I didn't even realise who Arjun was until about half way through the last series. I had thought he was a completely new character

They made a complete bags of that recast, to be honest, the new guy could handily be the the son of the orginal actor.

As for Cas Anwar, imho, the weakest link in the main cast by a distance, pretty hammy, and he has never pulled off the Mariner Valley/'Texan' accent. Having read the books, I didn't there was much of a hook to Alex as a character. Feck it, let him take a railgun round in the chops.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

"Alex goes back to Mars to take care of his son after his ex-wife dies" or something like that, recommends a new pilot and we get a quick voice conversation with Alex and Amos in the first episode.

Hope they don't have to do that, but its doable.

Kiith wrote: »
    "Alex goes back to Mars to take care of his son after his ex-wife dies" or something like that, recommends a new pilot and we get a quick voice conversation with Alex and Amos in the first episode.

Hope they don't have to do that, but its doable.

And, for me, preferable.

Of course, the allegations against Anvar could just be a load of baloney and he could continue on with the show. Right? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 5 trailer

Advertisement