Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It looks spectacular. The FX budget appears a bit better too, as those space shots were particularly impressive. Having read book 5 anyone who thought season 4 was a bit meh, should have no worries about what's coming :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Looking forward to it... But unfortunately Amazon are taking a leaf out of 'The Boys' and will be airing this weekly, from Dec 16th and not doing them all at once. So we'll be drip fed them up until February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

ixoy wrote: »
    Looking forward to it... But unfortunately Amazon are taking a leaf out of 'The Boys' and will be airing this weekly, from Dec 16th and not doing them all at once. So we'll be drip fed them up until February.

I'm fine with that, means there's 2 months less wait for Season 6 :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, there's so much content released every month, all in one go, the way to stand out may be to revert to the old fashioned weekly schedule. Otherwise it just gets lost in the Churn (to use a phrase from Amos). The Twitter crowd with arrested development might have screamed about weekly The Boys but it obviously works if Amazon are doing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I don’t mind the Weekly tbh, something to look forward to every week. Builds the Hype a bit better too. It’s working with The Boys in fairness. Some good news for 2020 at least.

• Advertisement

I prefer weekly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

pixelburp wrote: »
    It looks spectacular. The FX budget appears a bit better too, as those space shots were particularly impressive. Having read book 5 anyone who thought season 4 was a bit meh, should have no worries about what's coming :D

And it seems that they may be focusing a bit on Amos's backstory from the novellas, seeing as there was a mention of The Churn!

I don't binge watch but I do prefer twice a week. So I'll maybe let a few build up and then kick it off so I'm not left waiting too long between episodes.
    Then again I probably won't be able to wait and just do it the same way as I did it with regular TV back in the day.

We'll also be hitting a drought of shows sometime around February I reckon so maybe best to have something to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Didn't enjoy S4 very much to be honest, trailer looks great though so looking forward to it now. I like the weekly release I must admit, gives something to look forward to each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Book 5 wasn't my favorite, founder it a bit boring compared to all that came before (protomolcule, gates, alien worlds etc) ive yet to read 6 and beyond, does it go back to the new discoveries vibes or more political like book 5?

• Advertisement

Book 5 wasn't my favorite, founder it a bit boring compared to all that came before (protomolcule, gates, alien worlds etc) ive yet to read 6 and beyond, does it go back to the new discoveries vibes or more political like book 5?

I'm midway through book 7 and the answer can be "both". Chickens are beginning to come home to roost so to speak. There is also a significant
    time jump, so they'll have to recast the leads or break out the old folks makeup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Season 4 was really poor, it honestly felt like one episode stretched out to ten, but I've heard it's the weakest book. Supposedly the fifth book is much better so here's hoping this is more akin to season's two and three.

A shame Bobby is still there, she's such a crap character/actress!

Cina wrote: »
    Season 4 was really poor, it honestly felt like one episode stretched out to ten, but I've heard it's the weakest book. Supposedly the fifth book is much better so here's hoping this is more akin to season's two and three.

Bobby isn't going anywhere so I'd get used to her :) As to the books, yes Book 4 was definitely the weakest and reading it, felt more like a spin-off or pit stop than a fully-fledged iteration of the main series. The book was still better than the TV adaptation of it mind you; primarily because characters were better fleshed out. Not least the colonists & those onboard the orbiting company ship, who had whole arcs and developments not present in the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

Cina wrote: »

Her storyline in season 4 was nothing to write home about, but I thought Bobbie was great in 2 and 3. One of my favourite characters. No complaints about Frankie Adams here, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

Book 5 was my favourite of the whole series, so I really can't wait for this season. Book 6 / season 6 also.
    I'm midway through book 7 and the answer can be "both". Chickens are beginning to come home to roost so to speak. There is also a significant
    time jump, so they'll have to recast the leads or break out the old folks makeup
    Anti aging technology is established so they don't really have to age them that much - grey them a bit and reduce the time jump a bit if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Not much Alex in the trailer! and looks like the band is split up this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Friend of mine is already planning to save the first few & watch them over the xmas holidays with his daughter. Seems he did the same last xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I've forgotten most of the books already (think I was up to the 5th or 6th). Really looking forward to Season 5

Ah shoot: so apparently Season 6 will be the last. Given each season has charted 1 book, and it's a 9 book series, we could be facing a super-compressed final run:

edit: oh and Alex won't be returning in season 6; guess the misconduct investigation found him suss:

https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-expanse-renewed-sixth-final-season-amazon-cas-anvar-not-returning-1234621032/

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Ah shoot: so apparently Season 6 will be the last. Given each season has charted 1 book, and it's a 9 book series, we could be facing a super-compressed final run:

edit: oh and Alex won't be returning in season 6; guess the misconduct investigation found him suss:

https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-expanse-renewed-sixth-final-season-amazon-cas-anvar-not-returning-1234621032/

It's disappointing that the series is coming to a close, there's been little in terms of sci-fi (tv or movies) that has made me as giddy with excitement as The Expanse has.

It won't be a compressed final season i'd say, book 6 has plenty to fill 10 episodes on it's own and offers a stopping point for the TV show that makes some sense in terms of the overall story and how it continues. There'll be no spoilers from me but if there was ever a reason needed to read the books...

Wasn't aware until now of the allegations regarding Cas Anvar, it's a pity as he seemed to be one of the driving forces behind the series being picked up by Amazon. Created a Churn for himself it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Shame. I'm just about to jump into S4.

As for Cas Anvar, the accusation is probably enough to be the end of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

When did it move to Amazon?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    When did it move to Amazon?

It was cancelled by Syfy after season 3. Amazon took over from there after a "Save the Expanse" appeal by fans. It helped that Bezos was also a fan.

I wasn't much of a fan of the two books that I read (and I do love me some sci-fi). It was primarily the writing style. Does it improve? Maybe the two authors switched it around a bit given I've enjoyed Daniel Abraham's solo work. 'Coz if the show is ending, it's back to the books!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Sadly it looks like they're following the Netflix model of canceling series after 3 seasons.

saneman wrote: »
    It's disappointing that the series is coming to a close, there's been little in terms of sci-fi (tv or movies) that has made me as giddy with excitement as The Expanse has.

It won't be a compressed final season i'd say, book 6 has plenty to fill 10 episodes on it's own and offers a stopping point for the TV show that makes some sense in terms of the overall story and how it continues. There'll be no spoilers from me but if there was ever a reason needed to read the books...

Wasn't aware until now of the allegations regarding Cas Anvar, it's a pity as he seemed to be one of the driving forces behind the series being picked up by Amazon. Created a Churn for himself it seems.

Actually, that's true: as you say Book 6 ends at a natural narrative jumping-off point, so maybe it won't be so jarring for it to end at the point that it does. Still, given everything that's happening in book 7 (which I'm reading ATM), it's a shame we'll never get to see any of it - unless it changes network again lol

Actually, that's true: as you say Book 6 ends at a natural narrative jumping-off point, so maybe it won't be so jarring for it to end at the point that it does. Still, given everything that's happening in book 7 (which I'm reading ATM), it's a shame we'll never get to see any of it - unless it changes network again lol

What's the reason for Amazon axing the show? Low numbers?

Tony EH wrote: »
    What's the reason for Amazon axing the show? Low numbers?

I don't think it's that, Season 4 did quite well in terms of viewing figures and given the genre (and that it doesn't have a "baby Yoda" :)). Amazon are certainly better positioned to promote the show than Syfy were.

https://www.parrotanalytics.com/insights/united-states-series-charts-including-audience-ott-demand-08-14-december-2019/?utm_content=109229705&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&hss_channel=tw-1107802028

Although popular it's still fairly niche and I'd imagine it's an expensive show to create. Book 6 is a logical point to bring the tv show to a close without having to commit to an, as yet, unknown conclusion (final book 9 due next year I believe)

Bizarre then that they are axing it. It's a fine show. Better than a lot of things on the box.

Couple of things with S4 though that readers of the books may help me with:
    How did Bobbie end up being a nobody on Mars. Last we see of her she's back at the helm of the Ricaroni, or whatever it's called.
    Clarissa gets multiple life sentences (for her murders), despite being the one to practically save humanity. But Ashford gets a gig blowing refugees to pieces, after he was the one who nearly caused the destruction of mankind? (Not to mention he murdered a guy on the bridge in cold blood for not obeying an order. How does that work?

Are these things explained better in the books? Cos the show didn't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A bit surprised as I thought this was a pet project for Bezos himself who wanted it after SYFY cancelled it.

If anyone can afford to spend money on a pet project it's him.

Advertisement