Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Could be like Netflix where if a show lasts more than 3 seasons on the service, it shunts the production - and respective salaries, royalties etc - into a new bracket that makes the show less cost-effective. That's practically the resting business model with Netflix, I wouldn't be too surprised if something similar existed with Amazon.

Then again, maybe it's a plot: perhaps it's a way to force some contractual changes? That if another fan campaign can be kicked off to get those final 3 books / seasons adapted, Amazon will go "oh, ok" but able to dictate terms to the production company.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Tony EH wrote: »
    Bizarre then that they are axing it. It's a fine show. Better than a lot of things on the box.

Couple of things with S4 though that readers of the books may help me with:
    How did Bobbie end up being a nobody on Mars. Last we see of her she's back at the helm of the Ricaroni, or whatever it's called.
    Clarissa gets multiple life sentences (for her murders), despite being the one to practically save humanity. But Ashford gets a gig blowing refugees to pieces, after he was the one who nearly caused the destruction of mankind? (Not to mention he murdered a guy on the bridge in cold blood for not obeying an order. How does that work?

Are these things explained better in the books? Cos the show didn't bother.

It's difficult to answer those concisely, there have been a lot of changes from the books. The show takes a lot of detours/shortcuts but arrives at the same destination each season, more or less. Some characters have been removed, replaced or "merged", just out of necessity really given the limitations of a tv adaption.

For instance Bobby doesn't appear in the 4th book at all (iirc) but they tied in/adapted one of the Expanse novella's that focused on her character on Mars. It wasn't just fan service as it also highlighted the problems facing Mars once the ring gates opened up. It was starting to lose its greatest resource, its citizens, as they left to become colonists on the newly accessible worlds - it required all those people if the terraforming was to continue (which would take generations).

The character of Ashford and the role he plays is much different in book 4, he's OPA that about it.

For all the changes made I think they've done a great job with the TV show overall. It may be me getting cynical in my old age but I find it a much more tangible vision of humanity's future when you consider it's set around the same time as ST:TNG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

saneman wrote: »
    It's difficult to answer those concisely, there have been a lot of changes from the books. The show takes a lot of detours/shortcuts but arrives at the same destination each season, more or less. Some characters have been removed, replaced or "merged", just out of necessity really given the limitations of a tv adaption.

For instance Bobby doesn't appear in the 4th book at all (iirc) but they tied in/adapted one of the Expanse novella's that focused on her character on Mars. It wasn't just fan service as it also highlighted the problems facing Mars once the ring gates opened up. It was starting to lose its greatest resource, its citizens, as they left to become colonists on the newly accessible worlds - it required all those people if the terraforming was to continue (which would take generations).

The character of Ashford and the role he plays is much different in book 4, he's OPA that about it.

For all the changes made I think they've done a great job with the TV show overall. It may be me getting cynical in my old age but I find it a much more tangible vision of humanity's future when you consider it's set around the same time as ST:TNG.
    So basically Bobbie just said "fuck the lads, I'll jump ship and be a space plumber instead"? It just seemed a bit odd that between S3 and S4, that's where she ended up and is clearly miserable about it.

The thing with Clarissa and Ashford is even more perplexing though.

Not saying that these have severe impacts on the show from a flaws POV. But it just struck me as odd, to say the least. I'd have liked some reasons as to just how this came to be.
    I would have at least expected Ashford to be in prison in S4 for his antics in S3, which nearly brought about the end of humanity...Belter, OPA and Martian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FYI: the first three episodes dropped today (like The Boys, this has the first three in a bunch, then weekly from here on in)

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    FYI: the first three episodes dropped today (like The Boys, this has the first three in a bunch, then weekly from here on in)

Such a stupid way to do it. Either drop it all or do it weekly. Giving a few episodes to binge gives you a taste for binging. It pleases nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Such a stupid way to do it. Either drop it all or do it weekly. Giving a few episodes to binge gives you a taste for binging. It pleases nobody.

There's something to be said for coming back with an extended length first episode to re-immerse people... like in the old days of the feature length pilot. But three distinct episodes - I don't get that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The Boys took that approach and presumably Amazon were happy enough with the general response to do it again. I'm fine with it, it's not a particular hill I'd die on TBH: get a few episodes for a taste, then the appetite is whetted on a weekly basis. Keeps the show in the social conversation for longer, which is only a good thing IMO (given it keeps the small flame alive we might yet get a Season 7).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah, I don't think it's a bad idea to be honest. It gets the story properly started up and then moves to weekly for the remainder. I actually kind of like it, otherwise I'd have the damn show nearly finished today and be stuck for another year!

Caught the first episode, and it was the comfort of returning to a familiar, enjoyable world - if not one I'd want to live in mind you. Splitting the cast was a big decision in the books, and funny it was Naomi's who I found the weakest - so hopefully they can punch it up a little.

I already hate Marco, which is probably the point :) and the show really needs more scenes of Amos and Avarasala sparring; I swear I detected some chemistry :D

I wonder though re. Mars... Knowing the show ends with season 6, if
    Duartes defection will even happen on screen now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I didn't think this was going to be out for ages. Wish they were all released to binge over Christmas, but any Expanse is good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Just finished watching the episodes. Really enjoying it. Great to have it back and can't wait for the next episode now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'm re-watching S4 in advance of watching S5. It's better than I remembered it being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

Tony EH wrote: »
    What's the reason for Amazon axing the show? Low numbers?
    Most likely because there is a huge time gap (~30 years) between the events of book 6 (Babylon's Ashes) and book 7 (Persepolis Rising). It's a natural place to park the story for the tv series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

I wonder though re. Mars... Knowing the show ends with season 6, if
    Duartes defection will even happen on screen now
    Having watched the opening three episodes of season 5, I think it may have already happened. I think Alex's conversation with Lt. Babbage is a hint to it, along with the report about discrepencies in the volume of traffic through the gates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I was going to save these episodes for Christmas but oh no I had to watch them all. Great entertainment left me craving for more and now I have to wait a week!!

I finished my re-watch of S4 and have already watched the first 3 episodes of S5. This is going to be tough waiting a week each episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

gandalf wrote: »
    I was going to save these episodes for Christmas but oh no I had to watch them all. Great entertainment left me craving for more and now I have to wait a week!!
    Synode wrote: »
    I finished my re-watch of S4 and have already watched the first 3 episodes of S5. This is going to be tough waiting a week each episode

Same here. Figured I'd just watch the first episode and space the rest out a bit but damm this show just sucks you in. Now to wait a week to see what the effects of that cliff-hanger are :pac:

I've enjoyed the Expanse Aftershow with Wes Chatham & Ty Franck (anything to help with the wait for the next ep tbh :)). They have a vid on each of the 3 eps so far including chats with Naren Shankar, Stephen Strait & Thomas Jane (who directed 5-03)

In the vid above they also talk about the fight scene with Amos on his return to earth. On the intital fade to black I thought "wtf" but what followed was entirely satisfying, great decision and a fine piece of editing considering a full choreographed fight sequence was filmed.

Episode 2 and a great reminder why Wes Chatham does kinda spectacular work as Amos. There were a 100 ways he could have come across a bland thug, but Chatham shows that sense of Amos constantly, deliberately holding back from reacting with violence at every juncture. It's great, underappreciated stuff.

• Advertisement

Episode 2 and a great reminder why Wes Chatham does kinda spectacular work as Amos. There were a 100 ways he could have come across a bland thug, but Chatham shows that sense of Amos constantly, deliberately holding back from reacting with violence at every juncture. It's great, underappreciated stuff.

Loved the bit towards the end of Season 4 when he thanks Murtry for hitting him - the look of a pure psycho on his face as he's saying it.

Feels quite slow. 3 episodes in and not a huge amount has happened up until the very end.

Feels quite slow. 3 episodes in and not a huge amount has happened up until the very end.

Haven't watched the third Episode yet but having read the books, don't worry, things are about to get very spicy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Haven't watched the third Episode yet but having read the books, don't worry, things are about to get very spicy.

Agreed! I think it was necessary to set out the respective characters’ stories and locations for what’s to come.

I've rewatched the 3 and I'm loving them. The FX are the business.

The Tyandthatguy YouTube vids are great too

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

Episode 4 was absolutely excellent, top hour of TV for me this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Episode 4 kicks it up into top gear.

Absolutely fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Yeah just watched the latest episode there. Great stuff!

It sure was a belter alright (sry :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Great to have it back.

45mins flies by.

Advertisement