Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There is a character called Michio in Drummers crew. Her name was mentioned in the scene they are all sniping at eachother around the dinner table .

Was that the woman Drummer slept with? She looked familiar (probably saw her in some other show bolstered by Canadian actors :D ), and seemed to have more lines than the rest of the crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

pixelburp wrote: »
    Was that the woman Drummer slept with? She looked familiar (probably saw her in some other show bolstered by Canadian actors :D ), and seemed to have more lines than the rest of the crew.

That character is Oksana, played a similar role in the books as part of Michio's crew.

Michio Pa is there too, she has the tattoo above her right eye. She's probably a bit miffed now that Drummer's come in and stolen her limelight :)

Tbh I really like what they've done with Drummer in the tv show & Cara Gee's doing a fantastic job in that role. The vid below is timestamped where Ty Franck talks about how her character started and developed into what we see now.

(mentioned here before but the aftershow is worth checking out for those that haven't seen it)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For sure; there were a million ways this show could have dropped the ball, starting with the casting. But, everyone has pretty much nailed their role. Like I said Holden is a little flat but more down to the nature of the character than the man playing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

saneman wrote: »
    That character is Oksana, played a similar role in the books as part of Michio's crew.

Michio Pa is there too, she has the tattoo above her right eye. She's probably a bit miffed now that Drummer's come in and stolen her limelight :)

Tbh I really like what they've done with Drummer in the tv show & Cara Gee's doing a fantastic job in that role. The vid below is timestamped where Ty Franck talks about how her character started and developed into what we see now.

(mentioned here before but the aftershow is worth checking out for those that haven't seen it)

It doesn't really matter in terms of the story whether it's Drummer or Michio who is in that role and it's easier for a TV show to skip introducing new characters a the time so Drummer works.

I'm glad they didn't chicken out on the polyamorous crew but pity it's not called dthe Connaught like in the book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Nobody else think the last four episodes have been rubbish, then?

• Advertisement

Cina wrote: »

I remember this being one of the weaker parts of the books too. I always thought Naomi was the least interesting of the crew and I wasn't too fond of peaches in the book either so she is actually an improvement. Michio/Drummer was the only really good part.
    This whole season/book is mostly set up for the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

I thought this episode was excellent, definitely slow but Naomi's scenes were riveting viewing!

The last few episodes have definitely slow moving but I'm still very much enjoying it

Just you perhaps. I mean, the pacing might be up and down but for me this has been Expanse back to its best; that beautiful mix of character, action, and character through action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

First time posting in this thread because I honestly had no idea what The Expanse was until about 2 weeks ago and now I’m starting on episode 1 of Season 5.

Season 1 - Loved it. Mysterious.
    Season 2 - Probably loved it as much as the first season.
    Season 3 - This was the best season so far. Just great.
    Season 4 - Didn’t love it. Still good.

So after a slightly disappointing Season 4 am I going to be a bit more satisfied with Season 5 do you think?

Amos is just the best character ever. He’s like Dexter in space.

GSPfan wrote: »
    First time posting in this thread because I honestly had no idea what The Expanse was until about 2 weeks ago and now I’m starting on episode 1 of Season 5.

Season 1 - Loved it. Mysterious.
    Season 2 - Probably loved it as much as the first season.
    Season 3 - This was the best season so far. Just great.
    Season 4 - Didn’t love it. Still good.

So after a slightly disappointing Season 4 am I going to be a bit more satisfied with Season 5 do you think?

Amos is just the best character ever. He’s like Dexter in space.

5 is probably considered a bit more back to normal after the season on the planet.
    Not sure if it's better but I loved the book 4 was based on so I had been waiting ages to see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’m now completely up to date with this show after only discovering it existed about two weeks ago. :)

Hopefully these thoughts aren’t spoilers but I’ve felt slightly underwhelmed by season 4 and now 5. I hate saying that cause I love this show. I just feel like both seasons have dwelled on things a bit too long and then don’t seem to have any climactic storyline. Season 5 has two episodes yet to air so I’m hoping something happens but I’m going to be straight out and say that I’m a bit sick of Naomi Nagata this season and her Belter identity crisis that never ends.
    I think they’ve been hitting the same note with her for at least 3 seasons now non stop and it’s gotten too much air time. I’ve enjoyed her character up to this season. I could do with a break from her in season 6.

This show fits more into 50 minutes than entire seasons of Discovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I know, though I've no idea how they're going to fit so much wrapping up in the finale next week!

If you want to watch Trek on TV, then watch For all Mankind IMO. If Trek was about science triumphing over national, personal interest and exploration for its own sake, that's the show to watch. Headed by former Trek scribe, Ronald D Moore.

Though thanks to the Expanse I'll never get used to spaceships with windows ever again I don't think. Can't replicate the unique tension derived from being stuck in a tin can, waiting for that blip on your screen to kill you.

It's been on my radar, will line it up after next week.

Most Trek ships were floating space stations so I understood the windows (and with shields they were possible), never understood a lack of armour closing them off.
    Defiant was windowless and designed for more realistic purpose.

I'm loving this season (and last). It was season 3 which was a bit of a crawl for me.
    I've vever read the books but, honestly, I'll wait until after the show ends before I begin.

A lot of thespace scenes really, for me, harken back to Wrath of Kahn (and therefore submarine feeling). You really feel how small the ships are and how they really are just little pockets of life ready to vanish ito the vacuum.

The scenes in ST2 are, unlike most Trek, focused on engineering and bridge. Brings a much tighter feeling to the proceedings but Expanse really leans into it.
    Between that and nailing political aspects I struggle to find fault

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

GSPfan wrote: »
    I’m now completely up to date with this show after only discovering it existed about two weeks ago. :)

Hopefully these thoughts aren’t spoilers but I’ve felt slightly underwhelmed by season 4 and now 5. I hate saying that cause I love this show. I just feel like both seasons have dwelled on things a bit too long and then don’t seem to have any climactic storyline. Season 5 has two episodes yet to air so I’m hoping something happens but I’m going to be straight out and say that I’m a bit sick of Naomi Nagata this season and her Belter identity crisis that never ends.
    I think they’ve been hitting the same note with her for at least 3 seasons now non stop and it’s gotten too much air time. I’ve enjoyed her character up to this season. I could do with a break from her in season 6.

Its actually been a while since I read The book 'Nemesis games' that season 5 is based on so I can't remember where they end things , but I do know Nemesis games and the following book 'Babylons Ashes' are essentially a duology, so the pacing of this season reflects that. They'll throw us a bone for the season finale of course but don't expect closure on most of the storylines till season 6.

Essentially:

Leviathan wakes, Calibans wake, Abbadons Gate =Trilogy

Cibola burns = necessary standalone to establish the "goldrush" taking place on the ring worlds.

Nemesis Games, Babylons Ashes = Duology

Persepolis Rising, Tiamats Wrath, Leviathan falls = Trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

pixelburp wrote: »
    Just you perhaps. I mean, the pacing might be up and down but for me this has been Expanse back to its best; that beautiful mix of character, action, and character through action.
    I don't think it is just me, reading reviews and people's thoughts online. I think the general consensus is that the second half of the season has been really poor compared to the first four episodes! It's only on here that I've seen people continue to praise it.

The problem is that, Amos aside, the actors and characters are all a bit rubbish. The dialogue is poor too, worse than I ever remember it being before, and right now the plot is just dull. Without the proto-molecule element it's basically descended into "fight stereotypical bad guy Marcos in space!", and he really is a crap bad guy!

I think that it's been wonderful. What's not to like?
    Mars is collapsing with Bobbi and Alex getting the word out in time.
    Avasarala is back
    Inaros is horrifically toxic to those following him
    Amos shows wonderful self awareness that he NEEDS Holden et al. He wants to be a good guy but knows he has no filter, so needs good people to guide him

Holden and Naomi had to take a step back to allow the non ring plot to develop. But still keeping them central.

The only thing that I'm missing is the Roci

Expanse has often been compared to GoT in terms of its overall plot , kingdoms squabbling while a larger threat percolates in the background, but this season is the closest its come to copying how it structured its season's, multiple storylines(pov's) that we drop in on every week building to a climax at season's end. It worked in GoT it works here for me , because I'm invested in these characters . Do I want another season of disparate storylines of the scattered Roci crew, no.

• Advertisement

There's only one more season, yeah?

There's only one more season, yeah?

Apparently; Season 6 is going to be the final season. But then the show was cancelled once so who knows; there are 9 books in total, with each TV season tracking a single novel, so in theory, the show could go for another 3 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

It's only the last season as far as Amazon are concerned. They don't seem to want to go any further with it, whereas the writers seem to think there is room for more. It depends on whether they can find a platform for it, I suppose.

This season is enjoyable from a character development point of view, but it is lacking in spectacle. We hear about battles between Free Navy and UNN ships rather than seeing them and the all too familiar Earth setting with Amos and Clarissa since leaving the prison isn't particularly interesting, and even though that's behind them now it's an episode or two too late, leaving a lot to cram in to the last episode.

Relikk wrote: »
    It's only the last season as far as Amazon are concerned. They don't seem to want to go any further with it, whereas the writers seem to think there is room for more. It depends on whether they can find a platform for it, I suppose.

This season is enjoyable from a character development point of view, but it is lacking in spectacle. We hear about battles between Free Navy and UNN ships rather than seeing them and the all too familiar Earth setting with Amos and Clarissa since leaving the prison isn't particularly interesting, and even though that's behind them now it's an episode or two too late, leaving a lot to cram in to the last episode.

Yeh 3 seasons seems to be standard for streaming platforms, shows like Expanse are there to draw new subscribers, and when they figure they've attracted as many subs as they are going to, they cancel them to make way for the next bright shiny thing.

As much as I'd love for it to be picked up again , it would be pretty much unprecedented for a show to be rescued from cancellation twice. Other factors at play are how long does Amazon have the rights to all the seasons for, would they be included in any deal, or would they need to leave it a few years before attempting a revival. The last 3 books are fairly action packed and would be very expensive to produce, how likely is it that there's someone out their willing to take that on .

Trying to thread the needle of book chatter, which may not please all but my concern about wrapping up after Book/Season 6 is that there's a large part of the story that'll be left unfinished - unless they choose to cram 3-4 books worth into that "last" season. Which would be insane, and for various story & basic logistical reasons, wouldn't work anyway.

As said, it's rare you'll get a show rescued twice, but then to do the overall story justice, equally itneeds those 9 seasons. I hope Amazon change their mind.

The final 3 books are
    set in the future of the future with the characters older so best leave them for now and brink the cast back for the 20 year reunion to finish it off

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The final 3 books are
    set in the future of the future with the characters older so best leave them for now and brink the cast back for the 20 year reunion to finish it off

Sorry, just going to spoiler-text, just in case.

You're right there's a natural stopping point, I just worry someone will make the decision to cram the last 3 books into season 6 "just in case" - especially as
    said books finally tackle the lingering question of "What killed those that created the proto-molecule?". Ending the TV show without that being addressed might be too much to resist.

Now book chat: that I would not mind seeing behind spoiler tags

Now book chat: that I would not mind seeing behind spoiler tags

Sorry bout that. I didn't think the books setting or timeline was a spoiler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The final 3 books are
    I thought it was a full 30 years from the end of book 6. So the guys would be in their 60ies? Avarazala close to a hundred?

Advertisement