Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I thought it was a full 30 years from the end of book 6. So the guys would be in their 60ies? Avarazala close to a hundred?

I think you are right ya

All of the Baltimore gangsters feel miscast. None of them fit the description.

All of the Baltimore gangsters feel miscast. None of them fit the description.

Did the books ever describe any of them other than Erich and did it really matter who any of the rest of them were played by ?

Erich did look a bit too much like a tech entrepreneur alright though

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Did the books ever describe any of them other than Erich and did it really matter who any of the rest of them were played by ?

Erich did look a bit too much like a tech entrepreneur alright though

I haven't read the books so maybe I phrased that poorly. None of them strike any fear in me which I figure is an essential trait of a gangster. Reminds me of Steve Buchemi as Nucky Thompson.

I haven't read the books so maybe I phrased that poorly. None of them strike any fear in me which I figure is an essential trait of a gangster. Reminds me of Steve Buchemi as Nucky Thompson.

Well Erich was supposed to be the brains to Timmy's brawn and was pretty scrawny but he still seemed a bit off in the show. As for the rest I don't really care as they are very minor parts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Great One Shot during the shoot out scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Acosta

Started it last night as I needed a new show. Very impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Acosta wrote: »
    Started it last night as I needed a new show. Very impressed

id love to be starting this from scratch, has anyone any other recommendations for decent under the radar sci fi shows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

id love to be starting this from scratch, has anyone any other recommendations for decent under the radar sci fi shows

First season of Altered Carbon on Netflix is very good if you haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

You should give For All Mankind a watch. It's by Ron Moore and is an alternate history take on the space race where the Russkies beat the States to the moon . There's only one season out so far , but the 2nd season airs this month so it's a good time to get onboard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really strong finale to a great season - Naomi’s arc was particularly excellent, as you really feel her desperate struggle for survival. Tipper exceptionally good.

That said,
    Alex’s death had strong ‘poochie died on the way to his home planet’ vibes
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

That said,

I think it was good as could be expected, given the circumstances.
    I think they were nearly finished filming when the allegations came out, so I was really expecting him to die off screen or something like that. I thought this was a reasonable send off for the character.

Really strong finale to a great season - Naomi’s arc was particularly excellent, as you really feel her desperate struggle for survival. Tipper exceptionally good.

That said,

It was about as good as they could do. It was that or an explosion.

Really sucks theres only one season left as I feel like Bobbi and Peaches still have a lot of story to explore and one season to wrap up two bad guys doesnt feel like enough

1 season left,how the hell will they wrap everything up in 1 season?

A show with a truly diverse cast.
    Has strong male lead in Holden
    Strong female lead in Naomi

Broken male and female badasses in Amos and Peaches
    Bobbi is phenomenal and been through some journey.
    Avasarala is, well Avasarala (queen)
    Drummer, Fred Johnson

Alex (off screen alegations or no) was another strong character.

Really shows that the most vocal online critics, which is driving weird pandering storylines in other shows, really don't care when a show seamlessly has a cast of characters like this. They should be all over this show singing its praises and driving engagement.

Actually, no. I'm happier just to have the show naturally be this, and not dragged into online culture war nonsense

6 episodes left?
    How the hell will they wrap this up in 6 episodes...

A show with a truly diverse cast.
    Has strong male lead in Holden
    Strong female lead in Naomi

Broken male and female badasses in Amos and Peaches
    Bobbi is phenomenal and been through some journey.
    Avasarala is, well Avasarala (queen)
    Drummer, Fred Johnson

Alex (off screen alegations or no) was another strong character.

Really shows that the most vocal online critics, which is driving weird pandering storylines in other shows, really don't care when a show seamlessly has a cast of characters like this. They should be all over this show singing its praises and driving engagement.

Actually, no. I'm happier just to have the show naturally be this, and not dragged into online culture war nonsense

Some of the acting and CGI was ropey in the early seasons too but its amazing what you can get away with when the story is actually good and a show feels like it knows where its going.

As for wraping it up the writers seem to be leaving it open
    https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/10/22167489/the-expanse-season-6-canceled-or-season-7-beyond-plans

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Where was it announced Season 6 would only consist of 6 episodes? That's disappointing if true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH the fact that there’s going to be six seasons of a dense, niche sci-fi show - despite being dropped by its original broadcaster amid low ratings - seems like a pretty damn good outcome to me. I know there are more books to adapt, but it’s a rare show of this type, expense and profile that’d be able to get ~10 seasons. At least knowing where they stand gives the creative team the ability to work towards a conclusion, rather than the disappointment of an unfinished story. And the possibility of a return in the future is there, at least - can easily see a season six ending that’s satisfying closure but open-ended enough to allow for more in the future, should circumstances be in the show’s favour.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Where was it announced Season 6 would only consist of 6 episodes? That's disappointing if true.

That's just me with 6 on the brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

amazing season, the finale shocked me having read the books up until this season, but with all the allegations i found it was the perfect way to go really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's just me with 6 on the brain

Phew, you had me seriously worried there lol; Seemed like a pretty arbitrary decision otherwise :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that's all you can think about six!, six!, six!

Skerries wrote: »
    that's all you can think about six!, six!, six!

"Will the girls like this will the girls like that, is it too big is it too small"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

amazing season, the finale shocked me having read the books up until this season, but with all the allegations i found it was the perfect way to go really.

I'm surprised by it as I had heard the filming was finished before the allegations came out. Whatever about the actor, I felt the character deserved better.

Great episode though.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

I'm surprised by it as I had heard the filming was finished before the allegations came out.

I'd imagine some reshoots and post production took place to get it in place, although happy to be proven wrong if the creators explain otherwise.

Just watching it, my guess would be they reshot the scene with Naomi / Holden in the medbay, and the Rosinante crew reunion at the end. Those scenes have the fewest cast members, so it makes sense they could manage those easier in the COVID times.

The awkward bit (apart from the suddenness of the death itself) is the bar scene, where the framing of some shots is really quite weird and gives undue, distracting prominence to an empty chair where you'd imagine Alex was originally sitting. My guess would be clever CG and editing there to cut him out of the scene.

There's a few shots on Reddit suggesting some of the Amazon bonus x-ray details actually show screenshots with Alex in these scenes. A few critics have said the episode wasn't screened alongside the rest so there must have been a scramble to redo it.

Anyway, it plays out really odd in action IMO, but it a difficult situation for the creative team with no ideal solution - this is probably the best that can be done over recasting a central character for one last season. Nowhere near as bad as CG Livia in the Sopranos *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

I'd imagine some reshoots and post production took place to get it in place, although happy to be proven wrong if the creators explain otherwise.

Just watching it, my guess would be they reshot the scene with Naomi / Holden in the medbay, and the Rosinante crew reunion at the end. Those scenes have the fewest cast members, so it makes sense they could manage those easier in the COVID times.

The awkward bit (apart from the suddenness of the death itself) is the bar scene, where the framing of some shots is really quite weird and gives undue, distracting prominence to an empty chair where you'd imagine Alex was originally sitting. My guess would be clever CG and editing there to cut him out of the scene.

There's a few shots on Reddit suggesting some of the Amazon bonus x-ray details actually show screenshots with Alex in these scenes. A few critics have said the episode wasn't screened alongside the rest so there must have been a scramble to redo it.

Anyway, it plays out really odd in action IMO, but it a difficult situation for the creative team with no ideal solution - this is probably the best that can be done over recasting a central character for one last season. Nowhere near as bad as CG Livia in the Sopranos *shudder*

I do think if you watched this without knowing the reason, you probably would find it abrupt but not notice much else about it.

Xaniaj wrote: »
    I do think if you watched this without knowing the reason, you probably would find it abrupt but not notice much else about it.

Funny enough I hadn’t heard the allegations at all, so started googling afterwards as it all seemed so abrupt and oddly staged :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Great show.
    Great storyline.
    Great acting.

Writers over at star trek discovery should take notes.

Loved the whole Naomi thing tonight.

De Bhál wrote: »
    Great show.
    Great storyline.
    Great acting.

Writers over at star trek discovery should take notes.

Loved the whole Naomi thing tonight.

The lack of crying despite Alex dying was almost like a direct FU to Discoverys blubbering at every goodbye or pat on the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I hadn't known of The Expanse until last year when I binged the first 4 seasons as they were excellent. Didn't realise S5 was out until I was bored and checked out Prime for the first time in ages. Blazed through it all in the last few days. I came here to mention the sudden death and the aftermath where it was barely mentioned. I was going to give them some dues for making it so sudden but still believable (in that world), but seeing the reason now makes it less impactful. Didn't know about his off screen antics (dope in the current social climate to be pulling that). Shame, he was a good character but the weakest of the 4. Seems he's being replaced by someone with a bit of a more interesting back story (if it is Peaches that takes over, can't see them being able to get her excused just because she's part of the Rocinante now).

Also wasn't aware there was only 1 more season, which will be a shame because it really is the best of the sci-fi shows in the last 20 odd years imo. I expected it to be another Dark Matter/Killjoys kinda thing, but was far better than both of them (which I enjoyed for the first few seasons in each). It's also very early in regards to space exploration compared to others, so there's a huge world that they can later revisit, either with the same crew or a different crew set later. Either way, after getting through 5 seasons in the last few months, it's gonna be a long wait for the next season!

Advertisement