Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

Sad to see Alex go. I thought he was a great character who brought a lot of humour. As of how he died, this show feels far more grounded in reality than any other Sci fi I've ever seen. It feels like a very real way to die in the harsh, endless outer space. No fanfare, just gone in a moment of bad luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sad to see Alex go. I thought he was a great character who brought a lot of humour. As of how he died, this show feels far more grounded in reality than any other Sci fi I've ever seen. It feels like a very real way to die in the harsh, endless outer space. No fanfare, just gone in a moment of bad luck.

Thought the same.
    Really liked his character but that’s the price you pay for doing what he did it or allegedly did.
    I thought we’d get the new guy (Jose Zunigas) as the pilot.
    Was full sure he was the one who’s betray Fred but he surprised me. Great actor as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Funny enough I hadn’t heard the allegations at all, so started googling afterwards as it all seemed so abrupt and oddly staged :pac:

Exactly the same for me. I don’t think it was done well. I think the show should have given the character a better send off even if the actor has done something wrong in real life. They moved on very quickly.

I don’t think that was a strong season. Felt like a teaser season. I also have no idea what happened at the end of the episode so I’m happy to spoil it for myself soon enough when I google it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Amos ****ing with Holden before introducing Clarissa as riding on the ship for a while was glorious.

Also the "Marco ... Inaros" chants had a bang of "Adama, Adama!" off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

GSPfan wrote: »
    First time posting in this thread because I honestly had no idea what The Expanse was until about 2 weeks ago and now I’m starting on episode 1 of Season 5.

Season 1 - Loved it. Mysterious.
    Season 2 - Probably loved it as much as the first season.
    Season 3 - This was the best season so far. Just great.
    Season 4 - Didn’t love it. Still good.

So after a slightly disappointing Season 4 am I going to be a bit more satisfied with Season 5 do you think?

Amos is just the best character ever. He’s like Dexter in space.

I agree with all that. I am loving season 5. Amos rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Amos ****ing with Holden before introducing Clarissa as riding on the ship for a while was glorious.

Also the "Marco ... Inaros" chants had a bang of "Adama, Adama!" off it.

"Peaches we're cool, c'mon in! Thanks capt'n."

Was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Strong finale to an OK season. Started with a bang but the second half was quite poor. The Naomi storyline bored me to death and Marcos was (and still is) a caricature of a villain.

Despite how much of a pr*ck Cas Anvar is in real life, I do think Alex deserved a better send off as a character, but it was probably difficult to do post-production in fairness.

I'm glad the proto-molecule is back in play now, this season really lacked the sci part of sci-fi without it and was a pretty generic at times as a result.

So yeah, I'd say a better season than four but still not a patch on the first three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Cina wrote: »
    Strong finale to an OK season. Started with a bang but the second half was quite poor. The Naomi storyline bored me to death and Marcos was (and still is) a caricature of a villain.

Despite how much of a pr*ck Cas Anvar is in real life, I do think Alex deserved a better send off as a character, but it was probably difficult to do post-production in fairness.

I'm glad the proto-molecule is back in play now, this season really lacked the sci part of sci-fi without it and was a pretty generic at times as a result.

So yeah, I'd say a better season than four but still not a patch on the first three.

i read the books up until this season and had the same issues with the book as you did with this season, gonna start reading the next one now in hopes they bring back more of the mystery/weird stuff as opposed to pure in fighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Well Erich was supposed to be the brains to Timmy's brawn and was pretty scrawny but he still seemed a bit off in the show. As for the rest I don't really care as they are very minor parts
    I always pictured Erich as somebody who looked like DJ Qualls rather than Mark Zuckerberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm reading the books though I'm not caught up with the TV yet. I will say the books talk go into the effects of high G a bit more. So its less of shock. Still abrupt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I'm surprised by it as I had heard the filming was finished before the allegations came out. Whatever about the actor, I felt the character deserved better.

Great episode though.

I don't know what else they could have done tbh , I've seen people suggest they should just had the crew make reference to him going back to Mars to be with his Family, but it was made clear earlier in the season that his family didn't want him back. So unless they were going to reshoo t all those scenes it would have felt unlikely & unearned.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Exactly the same for me. I don’t think it was done well. I think the show should have given the character a better send off even if the actor has done something wrong in real life. They moved on very quickly.
    It was done perfectly well.

I didn't understand why the killed off Fred at Tycho station because in the book
    boarded the Rocinante and went in pursuit of the protomolecule, he stroked out during an encounter with Marco's ships.

Fred was a generation older than Holden, Naomi and Amos but he would have been around the same age as Alex. I always thought the actor playing Alex looked too young and healthy, he was supposed to be in his 50s at the beginning of the story so by the time of the current season he would have been pushing past 60 and getting too old for going on the juice and performing high G manoeuvres without substantial risk of stroking out. As it turned out the character had a noble death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Very good finale for sure, loved the way Amos got "Peaches" onto the Roci. Only bit I didn't get was what happened to the MCRN ship just as the admiral was outlining his plans for the fifth Reich? I haven't read the books so maybe obvious to anyone who has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

opus wrote: »
    Very good finale for sure, loved the way Amos got "Peaches" onto the Roci. Only bit I didn't get was what happened to the MCRN ship just as the admiral was outlining his plans for the fifth Reich? I haven't read the books so maybe obvious to anyone who has.

It looks like whatever the proto-molecule thing in the sky was, did "something" to them, and the ring itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

The sequence was a snap-shot of the transition of the MCRN ship through the ring gate to the Laconia system, it shows the beings that killed the creators of the protomolecule.

Holden had mentioned them to Fred Johnson at the start of this season using information provided by the scientist Elvi Okoye (she was on Ilus in season 4). He can "see" them when he transits the rings so it was mainly showing that these beings are still a possible threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I reckon 1 of 2 things will happen (having not read the books):
    1: Nothing but scrap and flesh comes through the other side
    2: The get through the other side but are now "infected" or taken over by whatever the red mist stuff is, and they want revenge on Holden

No more C&W win for me. (No offense to those cowboys out there who like singing about horses).

It's the hook for the mystery that will be resolved in the next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭emo72

What was the thing behind the clouds in the closing credits? Self building alien ships?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Talisman wrote: »

A friend of mine who's read all the books has offered to explain it to me on our next zoom beers call :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

A friend of mine who's read all the books has offered to explain it to me on our next zoom beers call :)

I'd be inclined to wait and see, it'll be worth it! (or read the books, they're awesome!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Talisman wrote: »

Book spoiler
    I'm up to date on the books and unless I missed it they still don't know why the ships go dutchman even 30 years later, just how to avoid it with careful managing of traffic in and out of ring space

I take it there are no book spoilers allowed here? Let me know if there is, cuz I'll unfollow again. No problem like the above where they're spoilered and clearly marked as book spoilers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

(snipped out at request)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I take it there are no book spoilers allowed here? Let me know if there is, cuz I'll unfollow again. No problem like the above where they're spoilered and clearly marked as book spoilers.

There shouldn’t be.
    If they want to talk about the books let them create a separate thread for it.

Coolio, said I'd check as some forums have separate threads in cases of tv/book. I really don't want it spoiled considering it'll be the last season.

I'm not really a fan of the spoiler tags. Very easy to reveal something accidentally. I tend to avoid reading them. I'm only on the second book. But I think they did an amazing job condensing and changing it for TV. But the TV and books are their own different things.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Naomi N is the worst thing about this season, had to mute the screen at her whinging. Hoping she doesn't make it to S6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

lordgoat wrote: »
    Naomi N is the worst thing about this season, had to mute the screen at her whinging. Hoping she doesn't make it to S6.

s6 is the next one so I doubt a main member of the crew will be killed off between now and then

• Advertisement

Book spoiler
    It's explained in Babylon's Ashes (Book 6). Reply spoilered to protect those that haven't read the books.
    Naomi figured it out that the ring system is overloaded when too much mass passes through the rings in the same time frame. They weaponised it and even considered using the trick to deal with the Laconia problem in a later novel.

Advertisement