Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've enjoyed Naomi's arc myself. The son kinda came outta nowhere but in general it felt long overdue that her actions and choices came back to haunt her. Her loyalty to the Belt questioned given it could be seen that she threw her weight behind earth via her lover Holdon, and Fred Johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

Does anyone pay attention to the changes in the title sequence? My youngest son is at the stage where he reads/spells out everything he sees in the intro sequence to movies/tv shows. Today he's hooked on the intro sequence for the show and I got asked "What does 'M C R N' and 'L A C O N I A' spell?" :D

542903.jpg

I must admit that I never previously paid attention to the changes they made to the titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

breezy1985 wrote: »
    s6 is the next one so I doubt a main member of the crew will be killed off between now and then

Another main crew member.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    I've enjoyed Naomi's arc myself. The son kinda came outta nowhere but in general it felt long overdue that her actions and choices came back to haunt her. Her loyalty to the Belt questioned given it could be seen that she threw her weight behind earth via her lover Holdon, and Fred Johnson

It's more so the over acting and endless heavy breathing. Fred Johnson was a far better character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

lordgoat wrote: »

It's more so the over acting and endless heavy breathing. Fred Johnson was a far better character.

err.she was in space and suffering from oxygen deprivation.:confused:

Loved Fred though..pity he was gone. Also Ashford is one of the characters I really miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Just like the possibility of someone dropping Rock's on earth was hinted at as far back as season 1, Philips existence was hinted at in season 1 and confirmed in season 3(I think). Nothing was out if the blue if you were observant enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just like the possibility of someone dropping Rock's on earth was hinted at as far back as season 1, Philips existence was hinted at in season 1 and confirmed in season 3(I think). Nothing was out if the blue if you were observant enough.

That sounded cattier than I'm sure you meant ;) Got any links to the hints? Genuinely curious. I know her destruction of the Augustin Gomorra (sic) had come up a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,931 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That sounded cattier than I'm sure you meant ;) Got any links to the hints? Genuinely curious. I know her destruction of the Augustin Gomorra (sic) had come up a lot.

Very early on she asks Fred Johnson to find her son. Can't remember what season and in the first season when she is being interrogated by MCRN they know she was OPA and Inaros shows up on a pad with her history on it.

It's more so the over acting and endless heavy breathing. .

Sounds like a description of Michael Burnham

• Advertisement

No links , but as someone already mentioned, Naomi asked Fred to look for someone for her in season 1 , and at some stage in season 3 (I think), she confesses to Holden that she had a son , perhaps in relation to some discussion about Prax and his daughter, I can't remember the context exactly. And yeh , my previous post was definitely Cattier then I'd intended haha

Rocks falling from the sky:
    Early in season 1, Chrisjen Avasarala mentioned her concern about people who throw giant rocks in a conversation with her grandson while lying on the roof of her house staring at the night sky.

Naomi Nagata's past:
    Season 1 - Naomi was accused of being an OPA sleeper cell operative when interrogated on the Donnager. The captain wanted James Holden to make a public statement that Naomi was responsible for the destruction of the Cant and was working on the assumption that the stealth ship was going to retrieve her. The Martian interrogator told Holden that Naomi was the best liar in his crew and that she was hiding something.
    Season 3 - Naomi told Holden that she had a son living in the Belt and he was the reason she gave the protomolecule to Fred Johnson. She had told Fred Johnson that one day she would ask a favor of him to find somebody (not a massive leap to imagine that the person was her son).
    Season 4 - Drummer mentioned that she would not treat Marco Inaros favorably because of how he had treated her friend Naomi Nagata.

Season 1 Episode 3 - Cyn, Marco Inaros and Karal were all listed as known associates in the MCRN's file on Naomi Nagata:

542943.jpg

I was trying to find a version of that screenshot that was postable myself. Marco also shows up in a list of potential suspect at a UN briefing but I think it was before they cast for the actor so looks a little different

I captured it from the web player and it's a little blurry. I'd like to get the UHD capture but unfortunately Amazon has deemed that "This title isn't available in your location" for the 4k version of the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Naomi N is the worst thing about this season, had to mute the screen at her whinging. Hoping she doesn't make it to S6.

Michael Burnham mark II.
    Didnt cry every single episode like Burnham, but close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Xaniaj wrote: »
    I do think if you watched this without knowing the reason, you probably would find it abrupt but not notice much else about it.

That was me.
    Didnt have a clue why.
    Was shocked as he was a great character.
    I only found out afterwards why they killed him off.

Whoah now. Naomi is many things, but Burnham II is harsh; I think the former has more cause for upset than Star Trek's lead, given she's dealing with a pretty shítty past.

To another point, as my wife notes, not everyone can rock a grubby boilersuit as effortlessly as Dominque Tipper has managed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Some of the acting and CGI was ropey in the early seasons too but its amazing what you can get away with when the story is actually good and a show feels like it knows where its going.

As for wraping it up the writers seem to be leaving it open
    https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/10/22167489/the-expanse-season-6-canceled-or-season-7-beyond-plans

When the story makes sense, the plot is engaging and the acting is good the other stuff doesnt matter nearly so much as you are engrossed in the world and not just watching it from the outside.

Well there are 9 books so I hope they dont try to mush the last few books into 1 season, too much happens for that too work (arguably there is already too much included...)

There are lots of spinoffs that are already waiting to be turned into tv/movies using the prequels and novellas that already exist.
    Its basically Game of Thrones in space, all laid out and ready to film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Michael Burnham mark II.
    Didnt cry every single episode like Burnham, but close.

I thought it was over done Naomi etc. But Burnham was unwatchable. Not even close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Whoah now. Naomi is many things, but Burnham II is harsh; I think the former has more cause for upset than Star Trek's lead, given she's dealing with a pretty shítty past.

To another point, as my wife notes, not everyone can rock a grubby boilersuit as effortlessly as Dominque Tipper has managed :D

I have to say she is my least favourite character our of the whole show, but in no way is a Burnham, at least Naomi had a reason to gasp (suffocating) and cry (some pretty ****ting thing happening to her and her kid).
    Burnham is just....just no...she makes Jar Jar Binks lovable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

Finished binge watching from the begining. The whole lot in a week for the first time.

I bleeping loved every minute of it. Gonna do it all over again 😂😂.

Hope last series is all about the builders and whoever wiped them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,477 ✭✭✭✭noodler

As much as iove the last two seasons I can't help but feel they are pretty disconnected from the first three.

noodler wrote: »
    As much as iove the last two seasons I can't help but feel they are pretty disconnected from the first three.

In what way ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Well without giving away the books they're also structured that way. The first three deal with the introduction of the protomolecule, the next three the system adjusting to the ring gates, the final three to....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Sounds like a description of Michael Burnham

She's not far off it!

I'm also not just talking about the last episode of this season, she's pretty much unwatchable all seasonal least on the last episode you can mute and know. you're missing absolutely nothing.

The pacing is way off the most recent seasons, too hurried. The last one especially, it's lost a lot of the depth that was created.

She's not far off it!

I'm also not just talking about the last episode of this season, she's pretty much unwatchable all seasonal least on the last episode you can mute and know. you're missing absolutely nothing.

I was being sarcastic they are nothing alike other than both being black women. Burnham and DIS crew cry and tell each other they are the greatest humans ever every time a red shirt leaves the crew. Naomi finds out her son almost destroyed planet earth

Well without giving away the books they're also structured that way. The first three deal with the introduction of the protomolecule, the next three the system adjusting to the ring gates, the final three to....

Books were in 3 clear blocks with the only real exception being the kind of stand alone Ilus/new terra book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,477 ✭✭✭✭noodler

She's not far off it!

The pacing is way off the most recent seasons, too hurried. The last one especially, it's lost a lot of the depth that was created.

I much preferred S4 and S5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Book spoiler
    I'm up to date on the books and unless I missed it they still don't know why the ships go dutchman even 30 years later, just how to avoid it with careful managing of traffic in and out of ring space

This youtube explainer helped me out a lot.

Advertisement