Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Great episode this week. Another show more folks should be watching methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

mewso wrote: »
    Great episode this week. Another show more folks should be watching methinks.

I so agree, at least we know that even if it ends with cliff hanger (possibly) with episode there is seasons 2 next year (way too long away).

syfy channel has greatly improved recently shows like this, Killjoys and Dark Matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Another very strong episode. The story and character development is strong which is great, and the production values are way beyond what I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

One thing I don't get, why did the OPA leader Johnson need the crew of the Rocinante specifically to carry out this mission? Didn't he have a crew and ship that wasn't the most recognisable in the solar system, was this just something to advance the plot?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

One thing I don't get, why did the OPA leader Johnson need the crew of the Rocinante specifically to carry out this mission? Didn't he have a crew and ship that wasn't the most recognisable in the solar system, was this just something to advance the plot?

That ship is more advanced and capable of getting out of scrapes than any the opa have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The OPA aren't official so they wouldn't have any standing army, ships, etc. Made sense if they had access to a ... 'liberated' Martian gunship to strongarm its already compromised crew into running dangerous errands.

The scene in the hotel was pretty tense in last week's story, really well done and great to see the arcs finally coalesce. Close to the end of season 1 and this has been one of my favourite shows of 2015. 2016. Urgh, whichever; curse these shows broadcast in December

2 hours season finale (Episode 9 and 10) will be shown on SyFy tonight.

Trailer looks great, seams to be back to action.

Too bad it's going to take about 10 month for season 2 to start.

What the Frak?

I now have to wait 10 month for this to continue after that last scene?

Right now I think that this show is the best that SyFy has to offer, in fact I think it's the best piece of currently in series SciFi programming out there.

I hope Season 2 get's more than 10 episodes, yes i know it's cable so most likely it's only 12 but for sure I hope for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

Absolutely loved that first season. This is hands down the best sci-fi there's been on TV in years. Will watch that season again as there was so much going on in some of the episodes. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

For me the 10 episodes come over as one slow audition or pilot showing of the potential hoping there will be more seasons to follow to tell the whole story.

I'm about to go and watch the finale again because I am so sure I missed crucial information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

That was a great season.It was a bit slow in some episodes but every episode had an integral part of the story to tell. Definitely looking forward to the next season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

That was a great season.It was a bit slow in some episodes but every episode had an integral part of the story to tell. Definitely looking forward to the next season.

It's a good job I checked this thread, watched ep9 earlier and had no idea 10 was aired already. Loving the show in fairness, it gets better and better. Is it doing well with ratings and whatnot?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The events on Eros were a lot tamer than what I recall from the book; things came across as much grislier on the page, involving a fair amount of 'goopy' body horror. Between that and the curbing of Avarasala's potty mouth, seems like those were the two main elements restricted by a Network TV translation. At least the violence remained hard-edged; the brutal, unforgiving landscape of the Belt wouldn't quite have worked so well without it.

That's not to say the finale suffered in its less visceral format; to be honest I hadn't thought there enough time to cover Eros, but in the end it made for an exciting, tense ending and felt like a natural enough point to end the Season. It really left things hanging by a thread, and even knowing how it all turns out, I'm still keen as mustard to see it play on-screen.

All in all, it was a fantastic slice of TV, Scy-Fy did good here, for once. In fact, I'd go one further and say that the few narrative changes they made (as opposed to the stylistic ones mentioned above) actually improved things: Avarasala's earlier arrival in the story made the Earthbound plot strands flow and connect much more organically with those happening out in the Belt; and while the greater tension between the Roci crew initially took me by surprise, it definitely made the stakes more tangible and immediate. Roll on Season 2

The events on Eros were a lot tamer than what I recall from the book; things came across as much grislier on the page, involving a fair amount of 'goopy' body horror. Between that and the curbing of Avarasala's potty mouth, seems like those were the two main elements restricted by a Network TV translation. At least the violence remained hard-edged; the brutal, unforgiving landscape of the Belt wouldn't quite have worked so well without it.

That's not to say the finale suffered in its less visceral format; to be honest I hadn't thought there enough time to cover Eros, but in the end it made for an exciting, tense ending and felt like a natural enough point to end the Season. It really left things hanging by a thread, and even knowing how it all turns out, I'm still keen as mustard to see it play on-screen.

All in all, it was a fantastic slice of TV, Scy-Fy did good here, for once. In fact, I'd go one further and say that the few narrative changes they made (as opposed to the stylistic ones mentioned above) actually improved things: Avarasala's earlier arrival in the story made the Earthbound plot strands flow and connect much more organically with those happening out in the Belt; and while the greater tension between the Roci crew initially took me by surprise, it definitely made the stakes more tangible and immediate. Roll on Season 2

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finally got around to watching and finishing this and am very impressed. The production values are very good, streets ahead of SyFy's other series such that you wouldn't think it was the same channel.

They did a strong job of getting the main plots from the book and some strong actor choices as well. In fact I'm not a big fan of the book series (well the first two books that I've read anyway) - I don't care for "James S.A. Corey's" writing style (I suspect it's Ty Franck's because I like Daniel Abraham's work). So it's one of those rare occasions where I like the adaptation more than the work it's based off of!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Conic con teaser for season 2 dropped.

It looks like the
    assault on the Protogen space station as well as the battle on Ganymede?
    I guess that's the Martian Recon Armour, i liked it but expected it to be a bit bulkier.

One strange bit is that
    it seems Holden gets infected by the protomolecule? If so, it's a pretty big departure from the books.

I'd say the above was a dream sequence tbh, the protomolocle was so aggressively infectious and lethal it wouldn't make sense for
    Holden to get infected and live

Good taster trailer, but a little flat too imo. I'm looking forward to the second season regardless but the promo could be a little punchier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Joeface

only problem is it does not Air until Early 2017 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just binge watched this show, holy crap it's incredible - leagues ahead of anything SyFy has done in ages, very reminiscint of Battlestar in terms of production values, set design and cinematography. An excellent show, will be picking up the season boxset to show support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Just binge watched this show, holy crap it's incredible - leagues ahead of anything SyFy has done in ages, very reminiscint of Battlestar in terms of production values, set design and cinematography. An excellent show, will be picking up the season boxset to show support.

Snap! Had a dose of something that kept me sofa-bound over the w/end so dived into this show interspersed with random olympics events. Very good I thought, just two episodes to go now so glad to hear they're planning a second series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,835 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix have bought the global rights to show The Expanse and will air season 2 weekly when it starts next year,

Season 1 will be added in November.

Fantastic news; Netflix really stepping up their game with these day-after broadcasts. Their film catalogue may suck but their TV provision's getting better with deals like this. Hopefully it expands into more ScyFy channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Will this be the first time that Netflix air a show weekly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,835 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No they are airing quiet a few shows weekly right now ones they don't make themselves and just buy the rights to air weekly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Better call Saul was broadcast weekly, so they do have form.

ah OK - seems I was in the wrong, damn you!

Exciting news about Netflix!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Other shows off the top of my head also include 'Once Upon a Time, 'Designated Survivor', 'Power', 'Frequency', 'From Dusk 'Til Dawn', and soon 'Crazy-Ex Girlfriend' and I strongly suspect 'iZombie'.

OK OK - I get it - I was wrong :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Joeface

ixoy wrote: »
    Other shows off the top of my head also include 'Once Upon a Time, 'Designated Survivor', 'Power', 'Frequency', 'From Dusk 'Til Dawn', and soon 'Crazy-Ex Girlfriend' and I strongly suspect 'iZombie'.

Don't forget Orphan Black

Advertisement