Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Have to agree with the other comments. The Expanse is a fantastic adaptation of the books. I'm finding the books heavy going they are so dense. Didn't realize it was material from a game, but I don't love the books as much as the TV show which is a first for me. But I have a new appreciation of the adaptation process.

While I'm enjoying the WOT that's adaptation that has lots of problems. I don't think it's because the books are long. It's like someone used to making cheap TV shows has made it. But in reality it has a massive budget. But you can't see where they spent it. I'd be sending in the forensic accountants in.

But there's already a thread on that, no need to go on about it here.

Session 6 Expanse does feel a little frantic. But it kinda help build tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

It's true that the world of the Expanse was created (by Ty Franck) as a very early concept for an MMO but, when nothing came of that, it was his adaptation of that world into a homebrew RPG that got Daniel Abraham involved (as a player).

Already a published author DA saw the potential for books and that's where the collaboration came about. I believe some of the main cast are based on player characters from those RPG sessions (to some degree at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Steven Strait looks really unwell, like not acting unwell. Very apparent in episode 2. He's only 35 but looks closer to 50. Hope he's not got some real life health problems

He looks fine in real life. I thought the whole crew looked worn out and war weary, the thousand yard stare etc. I thought a few of the cast were the same. It's meant to a year of war.

That was my take on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

This article claims that Amazon only signed the rights to produce three seasons of the show and under the terms of the agreement they can create a spin off show for later material. I have no idea of the veracity of the information but it would be great if there is an official announcement immediately after the season finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I take this back. I want to binge it all right now. What day is it out? Just finished episode 2 and looks like that's all that's there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

That link no longer exists so I guess that answers it's validity

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Not seen it mentioned but if viewing on Prime there's bonus content available via the pause menu. They're vignettes with each focused on 1 or 2 of the main cast, so not cut content & doesn't affect the main story arc.

I'm happy to have the additional content to watch anyway, so far they've released one with each ep, so 3 there as of now.

I think its part of the fallout of his time on Eros when Holden took a lethal dose of radiation. It's a little detail that is forgotten by the audience but not the producers of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Really tight focused episode this week. Love those battle scenes

I knew that they would have Laconian ships this season. There's no reason that they could not hand wave any delay away

Book related speculation in spoiler tag

It will be easy enough to have Inaros control the smaller ships and Laconia close their gate at the end of the season.

Leaves room for them to come back with the capital ships later, if there is a TV movie or miniseries

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another top notch episode; as others have said it's a testament to the strength of the story and its pacing that the time flies. And as always, my enjoyment is tinged with that knowledge we're now halfway through the season.

Naw, I remember Eros and his dose of rads... I suppose it's just this and last season Holden has looked especially weak and terrible that I've wondered. They haven't even mentioned the medication he's on; must Google Steven Strait and see how he's looking into promotional stuff.

True I guess they're splitting the difference and have enough time and resources to make a few new skiffs or frigates; and if

They have started figuring out how the alien orbitals can be used to make materials, enough for said small ships. A capital ship project, with its antimatter gun would take decades more research.

Did Inaros ever get a Laconian ship in the books or is that a TV show thing ?

In the book the Free Navy was composed of a fleet of MCRN vessels.

Inaros had no idea of what lay beyond the Laconia gate. In the final chapters of the book his intention was to take control of the ring gates space and put the squeeze on the various systems including Laconia.

These guys pack more into single episodes than other series do in entire seasons.

I really wish they were 2 hours long they just fly by.

I was a little disappointed with Duarte though and it's one of the very few casting that didn't fit my image of him. Great to see some quality Drummer time this week

I actually checked the run time, on this episode. It flew by but there was so much in it I couldn't fathom it being under an hour

I've started reading the final novel and really hope that they make a spin off series to complete the story. Featuring the story of Cara and Xan on Laconia is like mini-episodes before each episode of the current series. I wasn't expecting to see Duarte feature and he appeared more Amos like than 'Duarte' for me.

• Advertisement

When Duarte appeared I remember thinking "he must be some kind of space janitor."

I would have much preferred if the Martian captain from last season was playing Duarte or just leave him out for now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another cracking episode. Four for four. The final episode is too close; talk about bittersweet. The merging of Michio from the books into Drummer's storyline has been a great move, really gave her more agency.

Re. Duarte: while he didn't look how I imagined (in my head he would be played by Edward James Olmos, ala Adama from BSG), my main contention was him being far too young to be an admiral. Something achieved in the back half of a career, not the midpoint and not until you're 50+

my main contention was him being far too young to be an admiral.

Duarte's admiral title is self appointed, in the MCRN he had been an aide to an admiral. He took the title to maintain the chain of command that the Martians were already familiar with when establishing his empire.

He just didnt look like the type of guy who could convince so many MCRN to go rogue. When you see Crissy, Drummer and Marco you understand why people follow them but as someone here said this guy was like a "space janitor"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I think the idea was that they were going rouge before him.

The gates and the worlds behind them destroying the shared goal that mars had and the unity built trying to achieve it. He just shows up after things have already started to unravel for mars and gives them a new goal.

Ah here, we've had a tiny glimpse of him trying to talk to a child at a wake

He didn't have to convince anyone to go rogue. The moment that it became known that the ring gate was a doorway to habitable worlds the dream of Mars died. Martians had made sacrifices for generations and were committed to doing so that at some point a future generation would have a habitable planet with a breathable atmosphere. The younger generations of Martians were happy to abandon the project and head for the ring - this was dealt with in Bobby's story with her nephew.

What hasn't been dealt with in the series yet is that the MCR and UN are unaware of Duarte. He's not a charismatic individual but he is the grand master when it comes to strategy. Avasarala has always played the political game, in contrast Duarte is brutally efficient and goes for the jugular. Inaros has been a distraction that he created to facilitate the Laconia project, with the Sol system in chaos he has been free to establish his own empire.

I'm loving this but preparing myself to be disappointed with it ending. There will so much more to say. There's no way they can do it all in two more episodes.

• Advertisement

You mean from book 6? It's a while since I read it so I guess they're trimming elements? Presumably they'll keep the really important change that Inaros' war hastened though ...

Book 6 spoiler, so obviously here be dragons:

The Transport Union becoming the "country" of the Belters, Cara Drummer its first head.

Advertisement