Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

This is definitely the way of the future and will, realistically, be the only way that a lot of Cable companies can survive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's weird though how Netflix are claiming a lot of these co-productions as 'Netflix Originals'; watched the latest season of Orphan Black and it seemed a bit cheeky for Netflix to claim that given all the money & time the BBC invested in the show before Netflix jumped onboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭conorhal

I've finished season one, and my feelings are a bit mixed regards the show.
    I read a couple of the books before seeing the series and I'm glad of having done so, because coming cold to the show I feel like I'd have been confused about what was going on and why at times.
    It also lacks a bit of characterization, except perhaps with Miller, but Thomas Jane is and excellent actor (irritating hair flopping excepted). The rest of the cast are competent but you don't get much of a sense of their characters or what's broadly at stake with war hotting up between Earth, Mars and the Belt. The show just lacks a bit of immediacy and intimacy in some way that's hard to describe but left me feeling a mite detached from the proceedings. Perhaps because a lot happens to characters that you barely recognise and their fates are supposed to bare some weight, but with so many characters given so little time you have a hard time keeping track of them, let alone investing in any of them.
    Shohreh Aghdashloo is perfect casting as the foul mouthed but grandmotherly power behind the UN throne, Chrisjen Avasarala, it's just a shame the TV series denies her foul mouthed eloquence in all it's glory, but I guess they're trying for a more PG audience.
    On the whole, it's a nice companion to the books, but as a series I hope it improves with season 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I watched season 1 having read the first three books & took in the series with my OH who hasn't read any of them. She was definitely at sea in places, the show really lacking that extra element of world-building and foundation work to make it clearer what the state of play was. Even some basic info as to what &who the Belters were wouldn't have gone amiss. I don't know how that could have been done organically, but somehow.

The 'PG'ification of the show did stick in my craw a little; Avasarala's cleaner tongue was a big mistake & if there was a legitimate creative decision beyond 'the network won't let us cuss', I'd love to hear it 'cos it felt like a big chunk of her personality missing. Equally, the incident on Eros Station was really de-fanged in the adaptation, losing the manic tension & body horror from the novel.

• Advertisement

A new trailer popped up, revealing that Season 2 will air on Feb 8th; presumably Netflix then airing internationally the next day:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I can not wait until that one is back in my life, it is hands down the best SciFi show in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I just caught this show on Netflix.. brilliant stuff...
    Thomas Jane is a class act.

the creativity builiding this futuristic world is top notch. Those ships...:eek:

can´t wait for Season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Apologies if there is an existing thread on this - feel free to merge/delete if this is the case.

Just wrapped up Season 1 of The Expanse on Netflix. Really enjoyed it, very well put together show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93862517

Only as far as episode 5 myself... I'm liking it so far even though I'm not aware of any of the backstory having not read the books.

Jared Harris' (Dawes) accent though... I mean I know it's meant to be new to the ears as it's a completely bastardised dialect... but sometimes it just grates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threads merged.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I finished the first season this morning, and i absolutely loved it. The at times slow pace didn't bother me, as i thought it was well written. Characters are (for the most part) interesting, and i really like the main group. Trailer for season 2 looks very interesting, and i can't wait.

Definitely the best straight up sci-fi show i've seen in years.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is season 2 hitting Netflix here today? Was hoping it would be there last night :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is season 2 hitting Netflix here today? Was hoping it would be there last night :(

Yeah just logged on to watch and not there :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There seems to be have some misinformation, from looking around it looks like it's not going to be on there until after the entire season has aired in the US :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Joeface

Well Balls !

When will Season 2 of The Expanse be on Netflix?

For those in the United Kingdom and all of the other regions that have The Expanse as an original, you will be getting season 2. Sadly, though, you won’t be getting it on a weekly basis like you do with many other shows like Reign, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and Better Call Saul. We know this because the February 2017 preview has been announced and The Expanses is nowhere in sight.

Instead, you’ll get them all in one dump likely after the series has just finished which by our calculations is around April/May 2017.

http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/other/when-will-season-1-2-the-expanse-be-on-netflix/

Damnit, that sucks. It was definitely advertised a few months back that it'd be broadcast the night after it aired in the US. I'm guessing either the wrong info was released by Netflix PR, or else people jumped to the wrong conclusions! I was looking forward to catching the first episode this evening, balls! Well, there's still a way of course, but it's nice to use the proper means when they're available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,835 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think people just jumped to conclusions that it would air globally the day after it aired.
    Netflix has acquired Syfy space drama The Expanse as an original series internationally. Season 1 will be available to stream for Netflix members outside of North America and New Zealand beginning November 3, with Season 2 slated for 2017. Legendary Global TV Distribution acquired the international distribution rights to the series from Alcon TV Group in 2014. It premiered on Syfy in the U.S. in summer 2015, and Season 2 is set for premiere in 2017.

http://deadline.com/2016/10/space-drama-the-expanse-streaming-netflix-1201834745/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

loved the newest episode, great show, anyone read the books?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

loved the newest episode, great show, anyone read the books?
    Ive read them all and am currently working through the latest one but its just a bit of a grind tbh, good ideas but dull execution. Same for the tv show tbh, just something a bit off about the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/the-expanse-season-2-wont-be-in-australia-straight-away/

Article implies Syfy is blocking Netflix releasing it until after it finishes in the US. Not sure if that's just speculation by the writer but it is odd it's not a weekly release like with other similar deals (Riverdale for the most recent example.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Man, those first two episodes were just incredible. It's taken a long time but we finally have a show approaching par with Battlestar Galactica in scale, quality and sheer watchability.

Think I'm going to wait til it does appear on Netflix myself. Paying for the service in the first place, and if they themselves are facilitating the broadcast, albeit slightly deferred, then I'm happy to wait. Good to hear the second season is off to a good start

pixelburp wrote: »
    Think I'm going to wait til it does appear on Netflix myself. Paying for the service in the first place, and if they themselves are facilitating the broadcast, albeit slightly deferred, then I'm happy to wait. Good to hear the second season is off to a good start

I'm doing the same, plenty other stuff to be watching in the meantime.

I did look at a trialer though and notice
    Bobbie Draper
    is in it this season earlier than I expected. Pleasant surprise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Back with a bang!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's weird though how Netflix are claiming a lot of these co-productions as 'Netflix Originals';
    Used to work with an american team and they commented on how so many non netflix things are claimed as Netflix Originals over here when they were visiting, when I went to the US to visit them, pretty much the same.

Just watched this, have to say. Absolutely brilliant. A couple of things grated as being to cheesy but I probably would not have liked them if they went for the realistic tone.

Pretty fantastic episode last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

The show that just keeps on giving. Excellent episode. Def gonna watch that episode in 4K when it comes out in Netflix.those Eros scenes visuals were stunning.

Advertisement