Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Those creatures are in the 2nd book, Bobby's platoon is slaughtered by one at the start from what I remember.

Yeah, the creatures appearance are literally the catalyst that kicks off the 2nd book, not to mention the introduction of Bobby (and Avarasala too, who takes an interest in the military disaster Bobby finds herself the sole survivor of).

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

I started watching it. It got me hooked early on. Just wondering if there is much of an audience for it. Season 3 is due to air soon.

Sorry I just found the other thread after posting. I did search first and this was the first hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The Expanse is a guilty pleasure for me..

According to Den of Geek:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/the-expanse/48024/the-expanse-season-3-news
    The series will return on 11th April (2018) in the US. We'll bring you a confirmed UK air date as soon we can.

---SPOILERS BELOW THIS LINE---

Short Syfy Season 3 teaser trailer:

Official Season 3 trailer:

The Expanse 3x01 Sneak Peek "Fight or Flight"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Nothing guilty about liking this. Great show

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: Threads merged

And, the last thing I'd describe this show as is 'guilty pleasure'. What to feel guilty about? It's an excellent factionalised drama with a singular vision of humanity in space :confused::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mod: Threads merged

And, the last thing I'd describe this show as is 'guilty pleasure'. What to feel guilty about? It's an excellent factionalised drama with a singular vision of humanity in space :confused::)

My age I guess, I think people do look down at you somewhat for looking at TV sci-fi once you're umm, a certain age, let's leave it at that.

First episode aired last night in the US; no idea what plans (if any) there are for broadcast over this neck of the woods - I'm specifically thinking of Netflix. Doesn't look like they're doing the 'weekly episode' thing anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Nextflix didn't get season 2 will after it was finished in the US (iirc), so we'd probably be waiting a while to see it there.

"Good job Marine"

"Same to you spy"

Dunno why I enjoyed that line so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

First episode aired last night in the US; no idea what plans (if any) there are for broadcast over this neck of the woods - I'm specifically thinking of Netflix. Doesn't look like they're doing the 'weekly episode' thing anyway.

For some contractual reason, Netflix can't show the new season until some point after it finishes in the US. Not just in Ireland, pretty much anywhere outside North America where it isn't on Netflix anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Occono wrote: »
    For some contractual reason, Netflix can't show the new season until some point after it finishes in the US. Not just in Ireland, pretty much anywhere outside North America where it isn't on Netflix anyway.

People have been telling the authors on twitter that they're going to torrent it too because they don't want to wait. Not very cool imo.

Strange decision, given there have been a lot of Netflix-ScyFy linkups recently. Has any digital channels in UK/IE been showing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Strange decision, given there have been a lot of Netflix-ScyFy linkups recently. Has any digital channels in UK/IE been showing this?

No, and no channel can show it, because Netflix has the exclusive rights already, everywhere outside the US and Canada it's licensed to air only on Netflix. It's just that for some reason, they can't show it until some time after it finishes airing in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

I saw episode 1 in the states last week. Great to have it back !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭Melodeon

No, and no channel can show it, because Netflix has the exclusive rights already, everywhere outside the US and Canada it's licensed to air only on Netflix. It's just that for some reason, they can't show it until some time after it finishes airing in the US.

I think this policy will almost inevitably lower the ratings for the show in the rest of the world.
    I'd strongly suspect that a great many of the viewing demographic for this sort of cerebral multi-layered complex science fiction are perfectly capable of 'acquiring' the episodes are they're released in North America. Most of these people will have no great interest in viewing it again when it finally appears on their local Netflix.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It really is quite foolish in this day and age, with the rare exception of where they want to see if translating, modifying for cultural tastes is needed etc. if it was released in North America, it should have had a general release across most english speaking countries without issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I got quite excited when I heard it was back on Netflix, logged on and nowhere to be seen.

Geo-restricting a show available on a digital platform is mind-bogglingly stupid imo. It plays right into the hands of the torrents / streaming sites.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've plenty to be watching anyway, don't have the patience for torrents anymore. Hopefully it won't take as long as season 2 did to get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Well that was fantastic. This show puts some Sci fi movies to shame with the stuff it manages to pull off. April is some month with all these great shows returning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Still going strong. Most recent two episodes have really moved things along. Love that the show is maintaining such a high standard.

• Advertisement

I feel like I missed something. What were those martian ships that they boarded for ammo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I feel like I missed something. What were those martian ships that they boarded for ammo?

Debris from a battle that the martian apparently lost as the UN force moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Latest episode was incredible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Any word on when Netflix will be airing this here?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sleepy wrote: »

It took months after season 2 finished for it to show up so this will probably be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

Sleepy wrote: »
    Season 2 landed on Netflix approximately 6 months after it had finished. If that pattern is repeated then it will be October/November when season 3 makes its appearance on the platform.

Well season 3 will be the last one aired by ScyFy, they're not renewing for a 4th season. Alcon were the main drivers, financing the whole show. Apparently it'll be shopped around for season 4+ - you'd have to presume Netflix will be front of the queue here... here's hoping this doesn't become a full cancellation :(

http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-expanse-canceled-syfy-after-three-seasons-to-be-shopped-1202388026/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Well season 3 will be the last one aired by ScyFy, they're not renewing for a 4th season. Alcon were the main drivers, financing the whole show. Apparently it'll be shopped around for season 4+ - you'd have to presume Netflix will be front of the queue here... here's hoping this doesn't become a full cancellation :(

http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-expanse-canceled-syfy-after-three-seasons-to-be-shopped-1202388026/

That is such a load of bollox, one of the best shows going, an amazing series of books and they're giving it the chop, honestly no wonder they can't keep ratings going the keep cancelling all the best shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Christ!!, that's disapointing. A show this good? Maybe Netflix might pick it up.

I know it would never happen. Can you imagine if HBO decided to pick this up. One can dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Damn. Really hope this gets picked up elsewhere.

Advertisement