Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocation to Galway with children

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Now let's get this straight. It doesn't rain all the time in Galway, but it rains an awful lot (though can be mild).
    The exception is if you're a cyclist, then statistically you can prove that it doesn't rain a lot on you :P

*runs and gets coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

Hi,
    You are better off to pay for deposit and months rent from your old bank account, Once you are in new residence , you can get letter from Landlord if needed to set up bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

McGiver, we'll keep everything related to your move in the one thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,887 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McGiver wrote: »
    Hi there, could any expat advise how to quickly open a bank account in Galway possibly without a proof of residence?

I will be relocating at the end of February and need an Irish bank acount to rent a house asap. But for a bank account, they say, they require a proof of residence. So this is kind of looped - for rent a house you need an account and for an account you need to rent a house.

I had a similar situation when I came in the UK, but then my employer put my temporary address (was renting a room then) straight into a employer reference letter and some of the banks were fine with this and didn't require another address proof.

Not possible, AFAIK. You need to establish a temporary address and get some official correspondence sent to that, plus a letter from the temporary address, before and bank will give you an account. More about that in the bit below, which is a copy and paste from something I wrote in a Work and Jobs a couple of years ago, for someone moving from the UK.

You were here before, so presumably already have the PPS number. In this case, sort out an address, then ring Revenue and ask them to send you a letter to it, eg a balancing statement for the last year you worked here, or a confirmation of your PPS number). Not having to wait for a PPS number will speed things up.

If he's not an EU passport-holder, then he needs an appropriate visa, and to visit a Garda Immigration office - I think within a few days of arriving in the country. He then needs to tell them every time he moves house. Check the immigration website for details.

He needs to get an address. Either rent a place (not advised before getting a job, IMHO) or stay in a backpacker hostel for a few weeks and they'll give him a letter saying he lives there. Or let him stay with you ... and sign a letter "To whom it may concern" saying he's your housemate - be aware that if you have more than one of these, you may need to pay tax on the rent he should be paying.

Once he has proof of address, he needs to go to Welfare (Department of Social Protection) and apply for a PPS number. He will also need a passport, possibly and also a long form birth certificate - check their website.

Once he has two forms of address ID (usually the letter from the landlord or hostel, and a letter from Revenue), he can get a bank account. (Maybe visit the bank of choice sooner, just to check what their specific requirments are, some want a letter from the employer too.)

If he's planning to stay for more than 12 months, he needs to swap his driving licence over. Research the local motor-tax office re where to do this - again, proof of address (perhaps multiple) needed.

If he's going to be self-employed, he needs to register with Revenue, and he needs to sort out public liability insurance. OTOH, if gets a job as an employee, he should send Revenue a form 12A as soon as he gets a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

inisboffin wrote: »
    The exception is if you're a cyclist, then statistically you can prove that it doesn't rain a lot on you :P

*runs and gets coat*

LOL.

Make sure you look both ways while you're running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CountingClocks

Not possible, AFAIK. You need to establish a temporary address and get some official correspondence sent to that, plus a letter from the temporary address, before and bank will give you an account. More about that in the bit below, which is a copy and paste from something I wrote in a Work and Jobs a couple of years ago, for someone moving from the UK.

You were here before, so presumably already have the PPS number. In this case, sort out an address, then ring Revenue and ask them to send you a letter to it, eg a balancing statement for the last year you worked here, or a confirmation of your PPS number). Not having to wait for a PPS number will speed things up.

I tried to do this before I moved back and it didn't work, there is no way to call the Revenue from outside the country (1890 number) so I mailed them and they asked me to call in. When I explained that I couldn't call the 1890 number due to being abroad they said they cannot help anyone who is not physically in the country and to call them again after I had moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

I tried to do this before I moved back and it didn't work, there is no way to call the Revenue from outside the country (1890 number) so I mailed them and they asked me to call in. When I explained that I couldn't call the 1890 number due to being abroad they said they cannot help anyone who is not physically in the country and to call them again after I had moved.
    A bit disappointing...:(

I haven' been there before so no PPSN. I need to apply for it. My employer told me to apply from abroad. I'm trying that, let's see how it goes. If I can get my PPSN before I move in, that would make things easier.

JJpedro wrote: »
    Hi,
    You are better off to pay for deposit and months rent from your old bank account, Once you are in new residence , you can get letter from Landlord if needed to set up bank account.
    Yeah, I think this is what I did when I moved into UK. Will any landlord give me a letter if I stay there only one month?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

A friend of mine who moved from Ireland to UK for a while had to change the address on his Irish bank account to a UK address for a while and have a statement sent there to open a UK account. Maybe something similar may work for you. I think there are money-laundering regulations that make this necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,887 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McGiver wrote: »
    Yeah, I think this is what I did when I moved into UK. Will any landlord give me a letter if I stay there only one month?

The short term accommodation providers tend to know the rules about how long someone must stay before they're allowed to give a letter. I think it's 5 weeks, but am not entirely sure.

The short term accommodation providers tend to know the rules about how long someone must stay before they're allowed to give a letter. I think it's 5 weeks, but am not entirely sure.
    Cheers, will check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Borboleta81

Dear McGiver,

As someone who will soon be relocating to Galway for my husband's job, I'm now in the process of researching info re areas, creches and schools etc. I've just read all 7 pages of your thread (very helpful contributions from all!) and was just curious to ask if you and your family have now made the move to Galway and if so, could you tell us all how you're finding everything?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement