Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must see areas in west cork

Options
  • 16-01-2015 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Phoenix wrote: »
    So what areas of west cork are a must see for historical reasons and scenic beauty also would the Gaeltacht be another must see place?

Walk/cycle Sheep's Head
    Mizen Peninsula from Schull to Mizen and all the lanes by roads you can find
    Beara, Healy Pass, Cable car to Dursey
    Some nice country around Ballyvourney
    Priests Leap/Borlin
    Glengarriff area is nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

ford2600 wrote: »
    Walk/cycle Sheep's Head
    Mizen Peninsula from Schull to Mizen and all the lanes by roads you can find
    Beara, Healy Pass, Cable car to Dursey
    Some nice country around Ballyvourney
    Priests Leap/Borlin
    Glengarriff area is nice

It really depends how much time you have; when I moved here first I just walked. And walked. There is a great spirit to the place off the beaten track.

I would second all of the above plus the following if you have time.
    Sheeps Head walk - Durrus, Kilcrohane, onto the Lighthouse Loop
    Gougane Barra - St. Finbarr's Oratory, loads of walking trials. Stunning area but prone to fog/cloud
    Cape Clear/Sherkin Islands -
    Kinsale - may not technically be West Cork but Charles Fort is fairly spectacular

As above, Beara is a must really. Do it from the southern end travelling lockwise. Scenery is better and you'll enjoy the views. First sighting of Allihies and Eyeries on a good day is worth the drive alone. If you stop in Glengarriff - and again, time depending - a trip out to Garinish island is highly recommended. Lovely gardens and some great views The drive from Glengarriff to Kenmare via the Caha Pass is a great drive and would highly recommend the Ewe Garden along the route; it is spectacular. Totally unexpected what you will find and very different.

www.theewe.com

Wherever you go, enjoy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

What historical angle are you specifically interested in? If Kinsale is on your radar, Charles Fort is very interesting, connected to the Siege of Kinsale.

There are various monuments and sites connected to the War of Independence but really they are just drive and look, can pass on directions if you wish.

Gougana Barra is the most relevant place I can think of in the Gaeltacht.

Drombeg stone circle is outside Glandore but again it's just drive and explore.

Mizen lighthouse is a great trip, there is a really nice centre attached.

Bantry House is a nice visit too.

Sorry, I'm rambling now. If you need specific info, get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The Peanut wrote: »
    What historical angle are you specifically interested in? If Kinsale is on your radar, Charles Fort is very interesting, connected to the Siege of Kinsale.

There are various monuments and sites connected to the War of Independence but really they are just drive and look, can pass on directions if you wish.

Gougana Barra is the most relevant place I can think of in the Gaeltacht.

Drombeg stone circle is outside Glandore but again it's just drive and explore.

Mizen lighthouse is a great trip, there is a really nice centre attached.

Bantry House is a nice visit too.

Sorry, I'm rambling now. If you need specific info, get back.

I'd agree with all that too.

If Naval History rings your bell tie in Kinsale with Camden Fort Crosshaven and Bere island fort. Both really cool places.

Loads of old rocks around Mizen if that's your thing.

Mizen lighthouse is great spectacular location and Marconi story is very interesting.

Beal na Blath and other ambush sites are interesting if you already know the history I think, but as stand alone sites there is not much to them if your not well versed in that period.

Gougane Barra as source of Lee, and place whete St Finbarr set up camp is a must see. While I'm not in any way religious the sites chosen by 7th centurish monks to base themselves are magical;Clonmacnise, Glendalough, Skeiligs and Gougan Barra are all stunning, tranquil yet harsh locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

The mizen is well worth a visit and nearby is Three castle head with its man made lake,the views from there are incredible(I wish I knew how to link some pictures)l. Cape Clear is a gaeltacht , a short boat trip from Baltimore and well worth a visit,also Sherkin island is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ultegra

dursey island, bere island

Advertisement