Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are you happy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Absolutely ecstatic! Things could not be better. Life is just perfect at the moment and has been for a few years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Absolutely ecstatic! Things could not be better. Life is just perfect at the moment and has been for a few years now.
    Your having an affair right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Well. I was sitting in work , bored and very very hungry with no prospect of food for about 5 hours when i discovered a packet of curry Koka noodles and half a pack of Jammy Dodgers.
    Im HAPPY!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

No, but I'm working on it...working on letting go of all the achievements and crap..and just being mindful, being in the now. It helps.

I believe one dy I will be truly happy....and not a thing with my life will have a change as such, just myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well. I was sitting in work , bored and very very hungry with no prospect of food for about 5 hours when i discovered a packet of curry Koka noodles and half a pack of Jammy Dodgers.
    Im HAPPY!!

Hunger is a great sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Just to deviate slightly. Husband/Wife/Boyfriend/Girlfriend/Fiance I can accept, but Partner must be the most unromantic term ever mentioned.

I hate using "boyfriend" because it seems a bit teenagery. We are in our thirties and in a longterm relationship- partner is the only term that fits, I think.

ElleEm wrote: »
    I hate using "boyfriend" because it seems a bit teenagery. We are in our thirties and in a longterm relationship- partner is the only term that fits, I think.

ditto this. bf/gf feels like we're still dating. Partner fits better to emphasise the seriousness of the relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Nope

26 years old, still stuck living at home, where I have literally no space and my parents stupid habits get on my nerves all day.

Unemployed.

Had to end my 2 year relationship recently because she and I wanted different things and she has too many issues and baggage. She was the only thing keeping me going for a long time then she kept coming out with things she didn't want that any normal couple would start thinking about and would want when the time was right (at least in my mind) So that turned to s**t before my eyes like everything else. Wasn't a bitter break-up but was very upsetting for us both.

Recent birthday + Christmas and New Year sucked.

Got turned down for a job I was mad for, wasn't a dream job but it would have gave me a lift after a long period of not getting called for interviews. After I travelled and spent 30 odd euro to travel for the pointless aptitude test I had to sit.

....a rough few months, I forget what it's like to be content, smile and laugh and I'm tired of putting on a brave face over it and faking a positive attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

fcuking ecstatic

no really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I'd say I'm happy enough. Got a roof over my head and food in my belly. A few good friends too and loving parents keeping an eye on me. I reckon I'm grand. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Well, my eyebrows are made from actual hair so all in all, I'm pretty happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

No. I don't think I've ever been truly happy. Even at times when I should have been happy, I always felt a sense of impending doom, like it was all going to collapse around me (which is invariably exactly what happened).

I'd settle for being generally content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

My lover?

My lover?

sounds like someone you have on the side. lol

I do sometimes refer to my partner as "my lover", or my "other half". but certain social situation or interaction,...partner just feels..more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Nope

26 years old, still stuck living at home, where I have literally no space and my parents stupid habits get on my nerves all day.

Unemployed.

Had to end my 2 year relationship recently because she and I wanted different things and she has too many issues and baggage. She was the only thing keeping me going for a long time then she kept coming out with things she didn't want that any normal couple would start thinking about and would want when the time was right (at least in my mind) So that turned to s**t before my eyes like everything else. Wasn't a bitter break-up but was very upsetting for us both.

Recent birthday + Christmas and New Year sucked.

Got turned down for a job I was mad for, wasn't a dream job but it would have gave me a lift after a long period of not getting called for interviews. After I travelled and spent 30 odd euro to travel for the pointless aptitude test I had to sit.

....a rough few months, I forget what it's like to be content, smile and laugh and I'm tired of putting on a brave face over it and faking a positive attitude.

But are you happy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

My lover?

I have a friend and his wifes first is kitty, he calls her "pussy", his name is Richard, She calls him Richard, they are both very happy. I kid you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

RayM wrote: »
    No. I don't think I've ever been truly happy. Even at times when I should have been happy, I always felt a sense of impending doom, like it was all going to collapse around me (which is invariably exactly what happened).

I'd settle for being generally content.

Happy shmappy. Overrated and fleeting. Content, as in all things are going reasonably well (at least to me) and I don't dread getting up in the morning, is what I aim for personally and I think it's more of a mindset.

I'm very grateful I don't have any major mental health problems and that I can view my humble existence as "enough" and be happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

My life is far better than I'd hoped.

I feel like a room without a roof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Could be unhappier but generally i'm pretty unhappy. Mainly due to the fact that I chose the wrong career path and also that my social life revolves around alcohol and only 1 proper friend. Rest of my friends (all 3 of them) abandoned me for women! Also the fact that i'm 24 and have never lived out of my own house. BUT, on the other hand i'm happy because i'm going to Australia in a month to give myself a chance get out of this rut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

HELL NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Nope. Not happy in any meaningful sense. Life could be a lot worse but it could be a lot better too. I doubt I'll ever really be happy thoguh, even with such low expectations I manage to disappoint myself on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

IM pretty sure if i were to do a parachute jump tomorrow i would have problems talking myself into pulling the cord.....THUD...the end...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

I know I should be but I'm not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

IM pretty sure if i were to do a parachute jump tomorrow i would have problems talking myself into pulling the cord.....THUD...the end...

Feel the same way, but knowing my luck I would be afraid of surving somehow, stupid as it sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Frigating wrote: »
    I know I should be but I'm not.

snap ... and then I feel like I don't appreciate the good things . I have a great son I should be happier - but just feel empty inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Nothing turned out the way I planned it

I am very happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

I find happiness is quite strongly based on having things to look forward to, ideally having at least one pretty big sure-fire source of enjoyment on the horizon with smaller things popping up on a regular basis. Far too often I completely **** over what should be fun things with an awareness that I've been using looking forward to it to keep my mood up the last while and I've got nothing to look forward to beyond it.
    People who are happier tend to be able to put less pressure on these kind of things to deliver, which results in less pressure on them when deciding on future ones to do too.

Being immersed in a positive environment helps a hell of a lot too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Deliriously happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Happiest I've ever been for sure. Not to go into specifics (that isn't the stuff that counts anyways like work, education etc) but the family are healthy and all working, friends are healthy and mostly working/at least in education and the small things are turning in my favour after a long time when they went against me. It's been a year when I've realised that life is too short for even the nicest people and am treating this year as the financial placeholder to follow my dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Pretty content i have to say, i've lived abroad in Holland for coming up on a year now and have managed handily enough, was doing **** all back home but here i at least have a job, good social life and a girlfriend and get to live in Amsterdam city centre. What's not to like? Think i've earned it after spells of being quite unhappy at times as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

<<

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭harrymagina

26, getting paid 45k a year with 29 weeks holidays. What's not to love? Holiday every two months. I'm very lucky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Robsweezie wrote: »
    straight up - are you happy right now with life, are things turning out as you'd hoped?

Straight-up, this reminds me of the episode of the West Wing when Joe Quincy was being interviewed by Josh... <only use happy instead of sad>
    JOSH
    They made you fill out the psychological part of the questionnaire?

JOE
    Yes.

JOSH
    Question 1: A] I do not feel sad, B] I feel sad, C] I am sad all the time and I can't
    snap out of it, D] I am so sad or unhappy that I want to kill myself. You chose A] I
    do not feel sad.

JOE
    Yes.

JOSH
    Good. Ever?

JOE
    No.

JOSH
    No, you don't ever feel sad or...

JOE
    No, there are times when I feel sad.

JOSH
    Yet you checked the first box, why is that?

JOE
    It said "I do not feel sad" and I didn't at the time I checked it.

Your question is subjective and cannot definitively be answered imo,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

26, getting paid 45k a year with 29 weeks holidays. What's not to love? Holiday every two months. I'm very lucky :)

what kind of job have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

29 weeks? Wtf? You should talk to your union rep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

cena wrote: »

Clearly a school teacher.

/runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

24. Back is fúcked and I have arthritis.

BUT, I was at rock bottom when I was 18 after years of being neglected. I was depressed verging on suicidal but I got myself out of there. Now some mornings I will be walking the 2km to the the bus stop against the wind and rain, bringing my daughter to creche so I can go to college so I can give her a good life. I think to myself, if this is the worst part of my day then I thank my lucky stars. I'm so grateful to be doing something worthwhile with my life, so that makes me very happy. I go to bed every night wrecked and I'm so thankful for that because it means I did something worthwhile with my day.

We have so many opportunities in life that others don't, we should be delighted about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Jesus where do you work man? Any jobs going? ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Happy as a pig in Sh1t .... and the rest of yous Dummies can go Foooooook yerselves .... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

No, but I'm happy being a miserable bastard :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Happy shmappy. Overrated and fleeting. Content, as in all things are going reasonably well (at least to me) and I don't dread getting up in the morning, is what I aim for personally and I think it's more of a mindset.

I'm very grateful I don't have any major mental health problems and that I can view my humble existence as "enough" and be happy with that.

Yeah this. I know what it's like to not be able to get out of bed and I've seen how mental illness can dissolve a person to their very core.

I've also seen how a sick body can ravage a person's life and spirit.

So yeah. I'm dissatisfied with lots of things. Some things really need to change. But I'm awake and alive and healthier than I could hope for and luckier than most.

So pretty grand I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Am I happy?

LOL, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I have things that make me sad when I think about them. But I tend to be a bit of a "Pollyanna" (hate how this has become an insult round these parts lately)

I'm happy in myself, have lost a fair bit of weight and started exercising recently which in itself generates happy endorphins.

My dad is dying from cancer, but I'm so privileged to have been raised by him and my mum who are very decent good people, so whilst it's heartbreaking I'm still luckier than some.

I used to think money would make me happier, but lately I'm just happy to have a job I quite like and a roof over my head, and food in my belly, the material stuff really doesn't seem as important to me as it used to.

My daughter isn't really trying that hard at school and she's very intelligent, which is frustrating, But she's a good girl, and very caring, kind and helpful when I need her to be so I'm happy for this.

I have a good husband who loves me, and I him. Despite some struggles and family problems we've just got closer over the years and I couldn't imagine my life without him in it.

So yes in general I'm happy with my lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Nah, been a bad 12 months and 2015 has started badly too.

Hey ho, will keep trying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Nope, should be but not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'm as happy as i was 3 weeks ago when this thread was last done.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

yes happy, Dublin is a great place to live in for most people who have a job. There are many people in much worse situations in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭harrymagina

cena wrote: »

I.T but I do work an 84 week then week off and three weeks holidays.

• Advertisement
Advertisement