Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

250 jobs for Oranmore

Options
  • 16-01-2015 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0116/673008-jobs/
    A medical devices manufacturer plans to create 250 jobs in Co Galway over the next five years.

Zimmer plans to develop a new facility in Oranmore.

The company makes orthopaedic surgical products, such as replacement knees and hips and implants.

It set up a manufacturing facility in Shannon in 2007, where 330 people are employed.

Now, in an expansion programme, it says it will spend €51m to develop a second Irish plant at a site in Oranmore.

As well as making new products, the facility will house an education and demonstration centre, where medical professionals will see how new products can be used to assist patients.

A sales division will also be based at the new operation.

The IDA and the Department of Jobs have welcomed the announcement, saying it further confirms Galway's status as a medical devices hub.

Minister for Jobs Richard Bruton said the announcement is part of a concerted effort to attract manufacturing industries to regional locations.

He described the decision by the company to locate in Oranmore as significant, because of the job creation potential it offered for the area.

The company will start recruiting staff in the coming months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

where is the site located in oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

reps4 wrote: »
    where is the site located in oranmore.

From what I heard today its the old APW plant in Deerpark Estate. Where JP Corry, Lynx Trans, OranPrecast etc are based. 1st left after the Petrol station on the Claregalway road, across from Galway Metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

From what I heard today its the old APW plant in Deerpark Estate. Where JP Corry, Lynx Trans, OranPrecast etc are based. 1st left after the Petrol station on the Claregalway road, across from Galway Metal.

Lynx and JP Corry are in Oranmore Business Park behind Maldron hotel.
    Oran Precast is in Deerpark Ind Estate, where Nightline Parcel Motel etc are

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

From what I heard today its the old APW plant in Deerpark Estate.

How old is that plant - is this a picture of it? http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1107/110182-jobs/

Jobs announcements like that often happen well after the plant is built and many of the people have been hired and even started work. Wondering if that's the case here.

Where exactly is the building on this map? http://www.galwaytransport.info/2010/11/deerpark-industrial-estate-layout-map.html

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

D Trent wrote: »
    Lynx and JP Corry are in Oranmore Business Park behind Maldron hotel.
    Oran Precast is in Deerpark Ind Estate, where Nightline Parcel Motel etc are

Last time I looked corrys and lynx were in deerpark. Left and right side after coen steel and old goode concrete yard that walsh waste took over. Zimmer going into old awp plant.

westy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

westgolf wrote: »
    Last time I looked corrys and lynx were in deerpark. Left and right side after coen steel and old goode concrete yard that walsh waste took over. Zimmer going into old awp plant.

westy

westy my ol pal you'll just have to look again. and to make it worth your while pop into the Galway Hooker brewery in Deerpark for a few tasters

D Trent wrote: »
    westy my ol pal you'll just have to look again. and to make it worth your while pop into the Galway Hooker brewery in Deerpark for a few tasters

D trent me old mucker, I work in the oranmore business park and know what's based in here and Deerpark.. Myself and Westy are correct and you are, well, not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

When and where will these jobs be advertised?

How old is that plant - is this a picture of it? http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1107/110182-jobs/

Yes thats it. Approx 10-15 years old
    Jobs announcements like that often happen well after the plant is built and many of the people have been hired and even started work. Wondering if that's the case here.

Not that I know of. They may have a skelaton crew there at the moment to help get the plant fitted out and tooled up first. It is just a shell at the moment so it shouldn't take as long as normal. It was emptied pretty much totally after APW moved out.

Its the large building below the building marked number 1. It backs onto the railway line. The "Galway Business Park" marker symbol is directly on top of it in that map.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah it's the APW place down past the filling station, great news for Oranmore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement