Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training.....?

• 16-01-2015 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

Folks

I posted this on the back of another thread but got no response, interested to hear people taught's....

I've come back to cycling after many many....many years, my last road race was when I was 19yrs old....I'm now 42. Anyway, just interested now in general fitness and sportive riding. I am doing some training at the moment on the turbo trainer as I can't get out during the week and I was wondering is it still all about the miles in the legs this time of year, I remember as a junior rider our club coach would lock out our front deraileurs to stop us using the big ring during the winter. It was just about cadence and miles....what do people think nowadays.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its all about the base

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Prior to Christmas I was doing lots of high volume, low intensity type stuff, your old fashioned spinning it in the small ring for the most part, with a good bit of cross training in the form of running.

Starting to introduce some more intensity in January, but still a doing at least one long endurance spin a week. Did a full season last year and plan to start racing again in March, so next month the intensity will ramp up again.

Having said that, if you're just coming back to the sport and focusing on sportives, I'd focus on your base as gotabh suggests. If I was coming back from a long layoff, I'd spend at least a few months working on that, just getting a lot of miles in my legs before worrying about anything else.

What are you doing on the turbo at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Well got carried away at the start before Christmas but am now doing

1hr soft pedal on Monday Night
    45min interval training Tuesday
    1hr harder pedaling Wed
    Thurs off
    1hr soft pedal Friday night
    All above on trainer.

One 2/3hr spin on Sunday....ave 25/27kph.

Body is taking it's time catching up but getting there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

godtabh wrote: »
    Its all about the base
    It's all about doing whatever you can do within the time available.
    Yes, ideally you would establish a good aerobic base within the time available and you can do some of this at the weekends.
    Doing base miles on the turbo is not very nice. But you can mix your turbo sessions for best effect at this stage. For building strength, for example, try some one-leg drills, or slow cadence in a high gear. Some 10-sec spin ups for a little intensity will do no harm.
    Don't forget some core and stretching sessions.
    Enjoy it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi Ho wrote: »
    It's all about doing whatever you can do within the time available.
    Yes, ideally you would establish a good aerobic base within the time available and you can do some of this at the weekends.
    Doing base miles on the turbo is not very nice. But you can mix your turbo sessions for best effect at this stage. For building strength, for example, try some one-leg drills, or slow cadence in a high gear. Some 10-sec spin ups for a little intensity will do no harm.
    Don't forget some core and stretching sessions.
    Enjoy it.

That was more a reference to a pop song.

At the moment I am doing the trainer road novice competitor program. A mixture of endurance and high intensity work outs. About 8 hours a week with 4 hours endurance at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

I came across a HIT class called Spinervals...."Coach Troy Jacobson", it's a bit funky and dated but by God it hurts and he does drive you on.... Was doing it 3 times a week before Christmas but it became very obvious very quickly that was too much, once a week now.......:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

godtabh wrote: »
    Its all about the base

No treble!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

gary29428 wrote: »
    Well got carried away at the start before Christmas but am now doing

1hr soft pedal on Monday Night
    45min interval training Tuesday
    1hr harder pedaling Wed
    Thurs off
    1hr soft pedal Friday night
    All above on trainer.

One 2/3hr spin on Sunday....ave 25/27kph.

Body is taking it's time catching up but getting there....

Remember to have a rest week. If your over 40 a lot of advice around is two week of progressive training followed by a week of lesser intensity.Allowing the body to recuperate actually increases your fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    No treble!! :D

you mean no triple? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 norma2000

ya trying to get fit for this year and cycling seams to be the answer. doing 45 every night of intervals. hard to tell if i am going about it the correct way this is what i do
    5 mins warm up 25kph
    5 mins at 30kph
    intervals....2 mins and 33 1 min cool down repeat 3 times.
    1.5 mins at 35 1.5 mins cool down 3 times
    then 1 min 40 kph and die for 2 mins. 3 times
    then go as fast as i can for the last 5-7 mins. coole down.
    any thoughts cheers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I think cadence would be more beneficial than speed.

5-10 mins steady cadence - 1 mins spin ups increased resistance higher cadence - repeat

Maybe I'm way off but I don't think speed is a good bench mark on a trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 norma2000

Don't have a cadence computer so i adjust the gear at the rear to a good fast pace usually 5 then work up to 1/2! Keep the front on the small cog so I'm thinking my cadence is high prob 90-100???
    Should I increase the recovery times or keep them as short as possible and is it better to do 45 mins and be ****ed or 60 mins at a highish pace???

Advertisement