Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth speakers compatible with Windows phone?

Options
  • 16-01-2015 10:39am

Hi all,

I was going to buy a bluetooth speaker for the kitchen to serve as a radio and to play my own music.

I want it to work with my Windows tablet and Windows phone but most of the products I've browsed through online mention compatibility with Apple products. Some also mention Android. Nobody bragging about being Windows compatible.

Is there any chance that they are all actually compatible with Windows (surely they work with laptops/PCs?) or does anyone have any recommendations on what's available?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I'm not an expert but I'd guess they all are compatible. Bluetooth is a standard. I've Bluetooth headsets I use around the house and they pair with my android phone / tablet and Windows PC without any hassle.
    If in doubt go into a shop and try pairing your phone with them.

The Apple / Android stickers are marketing. Some people will buy something just because of those stickers. e.g. if you see two speakers that are similar and there is a sticker for your phone on one, the average non techy user will take the safe bet.

I used to work for a PC manufacturer years and years ago. They had Windows Compatible stickers on speakers (this was before Bluetooth so the speakers had a 3.5mm plug which plug into everything).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I got the JBL Flip (the first edition) and it works with WP. It's plenty powerful too (it once powered a karaoke party in an emergency).

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

FWIW - I've got an X-Mini Clear and have paired the following with it without issue:

Lumia 635/820/920
    Microsoft Surface RT

Only thing I didn't like is that I couldn't get the radio on the Lumia's to play through the Clear - the fact that you attach a headset as antennae for radio seems to get in the way of sending the audio to external speakers. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Codpeas wrote: »
    Only thing I didn't like is that I couldn't get the radio on the Lumia's to play through the Clear - the fact that you attach a headset as antennae for radio seems to get in the way of sending the audio to external speakers. :mad:

You can always install TuneIn (free) though .. that'll get you not only local radio but any other station in the country/world you like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

The Verge had a good round up of decent bluetooth speakers...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/2/5861556/best-bluetooth-speaker

I have Nokia MD-12 which is simple, cheap enough and works well...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/mobile/accessory/md-12/

... and it sticks to metal surfaces which is handy :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement