Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cinema

Options
  • 16-01-2015 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone had any views on good Dublin cinemas.

I'm in South Dublin but don't mind travelling a bit around the city.

I'm after big screen VIP etc etc.

Any views appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

You can't beat The Light House for comfort and well behaved audiences. Depends on what your taste in films is though, they've only got 4 screens and don't show all the new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I really like vue Liffey valley for mainstream films big screens comfy seats but it can be expensive.
    I love lighthouse for general atmosphere and good mix of mainstream and international films and special events seats are not exultant but they're nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

If you are a regular cinema goer then the cineworld card might be a good option its like €22ish/month for unlimited films. They also have an imax screen so if you like a big screen it ticks that box too! Once you're with them a year you get the black card which gets you 25% off the bar makes it one of the cheaper places to go for a pint in the city centre!

You can also use the card in the UK which is handy if you're over there much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Personally I like the main screen in the Savoy over the other cinema's but as Tickle Me Elmo says the Lighthouse is very nice

Rachiee wrote: »
    I really like vue Liffey valley for mainstream films big screens comfy seats but it can be expensive.

I forgot about the cinema in Liffey Valley. I want to see Testament of Youth this week but not everywhere is showing it. Checked the Vue website and it seems to be. Looking at the prices... what are the VIP seats like? Worth paying the extra for? In my local Odeon the more expensive seats are a little too close to the front in some of the smaller screens for my liking. Also do they serve buttered popcorn. My only gripe with the Light House :mad:

Sorry for hijacking the thread but my questions may prove relevant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭bren2001

+1 on the Light House cinema. By far the best in Dublin. I also quite like Odeon Point Village, not a massive fan of the ISense (it is massive) but the cinema is usually empty and they run deals Mon-Thur.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The lighthouse is fantastic. I live close to cineworld so I would go there alot, but I despise it none the less. It's a bit of a kip, with hot, sweaty, uncomfortable screens, no leg room, scratchy seats. Not to mention the smelly carpet that hasn't been changed since it was put down in 1998. you also have to rub elbos with the ocassional knack /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Thanks for all the info

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

bren2001 wrote: »
    +1 on the Light House cinema. By far the best in Dublin. I also quite like Odeon Point Village, not a massive fan of the ISense (it is massive) but the cinema is usually empty and they run deals Mon-Thur.

Odeon Point Village for me.

All films, including iSense and 3D, are 6 euro Monday to Thursday. If you are going to a normal screening they upgrade you to premier seats for the same price!

Validate your parking ticket as well, so it only a costs 2 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Cineworld has its faults but if you're a regular cinemagoer the Unlimited card is amazing value. Going twice a month will cover the cost and at this time of year, with all the Oscar contenders being released, I'd go up to four times a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Cineworld has its faults but if you're a regular cinemagoer the Unlimited card is amazing value. Going twice a month will cover the cost and at this time of year, with all the Oscar contenders being released, I'd go up to four times a week.

Yeah in terms of value its not even close. Nice to get to see films before they are released with the unlimited screenings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Screen,I.F.I., Lighthouse and The Swan in Rathmines are your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Lighthouse. The Guardian put it in the top 25 cinemas in Europe.

I finished up going to Odeon Blanchardstown to see American Sniper. Its a fine cinema too but had a sore back halfway through as we were a few rows from the front but I suppose that is our own fault as we arrived pretty late and the place was packed!

I must go see something at the lighthouse to see what the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

The Lighthouse is hard to beat, the screens are a nice size, the seats are mega comfy, it's good value too. If you get the free loyalty card you qualify for the odd free ticket which is great.
    I also love the fact that it has a full cafe and a full bar.

I live really close to the Swan so go there a lot too, they can never get the temperature right I find, it's either freezing or roasting in there. The ergonomic seats are very comfy too.

When I'm in town I love the main screen in the Savoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Having regularly tried Odeon Blanchardstown, Vue Liffey Valley, Omni Santry, and Movies @ Swords I can pretty much say that Movies @ Swords is the best of the lot. Comfy seats, good popcorn (avec butter if desired) and the VIP screen is good.

What is the deal with buttered popcorn? Is it not done in every cinema?

This is big gripe with my other half - Nowhere seems to have sweet popcorn and I usually take the brunt of the backlash! :p

This is big gripe with my other half - Nowhere seems to have sweet popcorn and I usually take the brunt of the backlash! :p

Sweet popcorn is an abomination!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

No, they have it in the Odeon cinemas and some of the Omniplexs, if there are more out there I'd love to know!

• Advertisement

Galadriel wrote: »
    No, they have it in the Odeon cinemas and some of the Omniplexs, if there are more out there I'd love to know!

When I was a kid we only ever went to UCI cinemas and they always had butter popcorn. It was only when I got older and went to a few places in town I realised it seems more don't than do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Sweet popcorn is a real UK cinema thing, I love that you can get half sweet half salty! I'd love it here, I'd love widely available butter popcorn too!

While it was still a small cinema The Swan (now Omniplex) had a selection of popcorn flavourings which were delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

The lighthouse. Nice treat. Must go again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Can't beat the valid in the Savoy on a Wednesday, €10 for a ticket, medium drink and popcorn. Was in Screen2 last night in there and it's a huge curved screen with comfy seats!

Advertisement