Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Who has switched from Android to iPhone6?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

What's side loading? and why would I want to get apps from an untrusted party that hasn't been vetted by the Google Play store/App Store?

This is why i prefer Android. There are many other reputable sources for apps other than the play store. IOS is easier on the eye though.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

OnePlus one battery lasts a couple of days.

This.

I was trying to drain my OnePlus Battery, as I basically "got a bad 'un". I left the flashlight on solid for over30 hours before the phone died.

Phone has since been replaced and new one is perfect. Savage Battery time.

On normal usage I get about 3-4 days without needing to charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Catmologen wrote: »
    This is why i prefer Android. There are many other reputable sources for apps other than the play store. IOS is easier on the eye though.
    I don't get it though, if they are reputable then surely they shouldn't be anywhere other than the Play Store which is on every single Android device out there. There's 1 billion of them surely other app marketplaces should be barren wastelands.

I don't get it though, if they are reputable then surely they shouldn't be anywhere other than the Play Store which is on every single Android device out there. There's 1 billion of them surely other app marketplaces should be barren wastelands.

Some apps just arent allowed on play store, gambling apps, certain (legal) music streaming apps and the Amazon app store for example.

Catmologen wrote: »
    Some apps just arent allowed on play store, gambling apps, certain (legal) music streaming apps and the Amazon app store for example.
    huh weird, I thought Android was open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

huh weird, I thought Android was open?

It is, but the Google play store has its rules just like the app store. They're not fond of showing the Amazon app store in there, for example, a bit like Apple don't push other service providers for music and don't use Google maps by default.

Just on siri on iOS 8, if you ask to navigate does it always go to apple maps or can you specify Google maps?

It is, but the Google play store has its rules just like the app store. They're not fond of showing the Amazon app store in there, for example, a bit like Apple don't push other service providers for music and don't use Google maps by default.

Just on siri on iOS 8, if you ask to navigate does it always go to apple maps or can you specify Google maps?

yeah but it's funny as it's usually the argument that Android users use. Android is open, yet the store doesn't appear to be at all like that.

on siri yes, if you say "give me directions to Dublin City Centre via transit" Apple Maps will open up but will give you a list of suggested apps, all you got to do it tap google maps and it will open in navigation mode.

yeah but it's funny as it's usually the argument that Android users use. Android is open, yet the store doesn't appear to be at all like that.

It is open. The play store has its own rules but you are not limited to the play store for apps so its a mute point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

I moved from a moto G to an iPhone 6 and I would recommend the moto to anyone over the iPhone in terms of value for money. I dropped mine in the sea so needed a new phone and went for the iPhone to see what all the fuss was about and honestly it's as good but not better than android.

And having now owned both I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter what phone you have as you just get used to it anyway after a few days, and anything that made it cool or unique or whatever simply becomes the norm and you don't notice it anymore anyway,

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    i'm well aware of what open source is. I write it for a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »
    That's the point I was trying to make. The Android majority use 'open' as an advantage over iOS. It's a sweeping generalisation.

That's the point I was trying to make. The Android majority use 'open' as an advantage over iOS. It's a sweeping generalisation.

The context of "open" that I was presenting is an advantage, in my opinion. I meant in the sense that you can mess around and customize things in the OS. Being able to set default apps for certain actions, for example, is "open" compared to bring stuck with what the software designers want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

burke027 wrote: »
    2 days under heavy usage I doubt that very much I don't know of any smart phone that gives more the a full day and night .........

Oneplus one you can easily get 2 days out of it

you can do this in iOS with the exception of setting as default, granted it's new in iOS 8, it's up to developers to implement it, just like in android. It will take iOS developers time to implement. The good thing about iOS is usually the stock apps are good enough that you don't need a second inferior browser.

Sorry are you saying Safari is superior to Chrome? OK ill take you word for that, but having experienced both I disagree.
    Can't remember the last time I downloaded a zip file of mp3's, iTunes Radio and Spotify/Google music sort me out fine.

I was watching TV one night and I saw an ad for the new Pink Floyd album, I grabbed my phone downloaded a torrent and in less than 20 seconds in was in my music library. The same album on iTunes is €20
    What's side loading? and why would I want to get apps from an untrusted party that hasn't been vetted by the Google Play store/App Store?

So Adblock plus, Kodi media Center are untrusted are they?
    This is a pain in the but as a developer, so many devices and each have a different way to implement these. Some hardware, some software. Silly to have a difference.

No, the back button on Android devices is a global back button which will follow in from any app launched. i.e. if I open a link in my email then click on a few links, then press the back button, it will go back to each individual link or screen until i am back in the original email.

You say you are a developer why don't you link some of the apps you have written because it sounds like you don't know anything.
    iOS' Today view is pretty much the same thing, Android does have the nice feature of resizing widgets. Anytime I've seen anyone customise their Android phone with 3rd party icons they've look like a 3 year old mushed mála into the carpet.

Sorry what are you on about, you can have stock icons or you can set whatever icon you like for whatever app. Plus iphone doesn't have springboard widgets..
    This is the same as #1 point, iOS got this functionality in iOS 8 with the share sheet. It will take time for developers to catch up.

You can't even share a photo to whatsapp, I think if this functionality existed they would have updated by now, ios8 has been out for about 3 months now and devs have had it for about 6
    Great thing about iOS is I don't have to give a hoot about this, iPhone's don't need quad core processors to keep up with an OS that's written in an awful language (Java).

Right, meanwhile my friends iphone 5s barely lasts 10 hours of use. Maybe you should start giving a hoot about this functionality.

and just so you know android isn't written in Java, it's written in C, it uses a Java VM to run applications and are you (as a developer) going to sit here with a straight face and tell me that you think Object C is better than Java? The rest of the business world disagrees with you. Source: I work for the company who owns Java

I was a massive iPhone advocate for years and I used to post a lot in this forum, but the fact of the matter is that the competition caught up and has now surpassed iOS. Android is an Open system which allows me to both customize it anyway I want and install anything I want.

iOS is total crap, jailbreaking was the only reason is was alright but when I moved to android I learned that you don't need to root it for you to get the freedom you get from jailbreaking. Developers prefer android development too because it's free, unlike iOS which at the minimum cost you the price of mac laptop. Then like 499 to test your app and another 99 to launch it in the app store, providing it passed apples ridiculous evaluation system which requires them to go through every line of your code.

The iOS os itself is total rubbish, ever "innovation" it has made through the 8 iterations it has gone through has been stolen from the jailbreak community.

I work as a software developer and all of my colleagues who I would deem a lot more in the know than you use Android. Do you know who use iPhones, Sales people, kids, my mum and people trying to look cool.

Ill tell you what apple are really good at doing, they are brilliant at advertising. They brainwash people into thinking that paying more for something means it's better while at the same time using substandard hardware components. Plus their refresh cycles is predictable. I bet you next year the line up with be and iPhone 6s which is basically the exact same phone with maybe a bit more processor speed which according to you they don't even need. How about a bit more ram.

I remember when the first iPhone came out and it didn't have bluetooth or 3g and apple response was oh you don't need that because battery bla bla bla and even now they still don't have open nfc and are still using 1gb ram. but you don't need that it's faster using these cheaper parts. Same old crap.

I think the whole apple love is a bit like when you are a kid and fall for some girl who treats you like sh1t and goes off and cheats on you. It takes a while to realise she is garbage and it's the same with Apple.

Enjoy your iphone mate, but when it bends in your pocket and apple refuse to replace it don't come crying here about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Android forum is down the hall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

The back button and the width of the screen is enough for me to stay Android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

"kjl wrote: »

I Plus their refresh cycles is predictable. I bet you next year the line up with be and iPhone 6s which is basically the exact same phone with maybe a bit more processor speed which according to you they don't even need.

Like the Samsung s1,2,3,4,5 etc htc one m7,8 etc predictable eh?

Must be hard having such a chip on your sholder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Always fascinated by people fanatic all about Android or IOS like a football team. I am a software developer and have two phones personal and work that I use interchangeably. One is a Htc one M8 and the other is an iPhone 6. Both are great phones and have their strengths and weaknesses, however if I was to choose one I would probably go with the iPhone for for some key reasons:
    Touch ID : initially when announced I thought it was a gimmick, but having used it for months it is very quick reliable to unlock the phone and makes it hard to use a device without it

General interface: i like that I can customise so much for in android and went through a phase I was changing every few weeks with new launchers etc, however each change I found I was trying to get the interface more like iOS and was bored of changing. With iOS the bread and butter functions of phone, messaging, email and browser work better and are more reliable in my opinion.

Photos: fastest and best all round camera on a phone period is on iPhone.

App Store: as a developer we develop apps for both platforms, but IOS is still the primary platform and this can be seen in the quality of the apps on the App Store. Developers develop for IOS primarily as they will make more money there as there is less piracy.

I still love my HTC m8, and does loads of things better than the iPhone, however the above list of things would sway me more to iOS if I had to choose. Thankfully I dont, and the good thing about Google is that they support both platforms so I can us maps or Google now on either device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Thinking of going back to iPhone myself next month,have iPad and Apple TV so I like the integration between them...what gets to me is waiting for updates from phone companies...new android updates are great and all but having to wait up to a year is a joke...some lovely android phones available at the moment but to get a decent unlocked one is just to expensive.
    So I will be going from a note 2 to a 6 plus.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I've got the HTC One M8, but TBH if i'd known the iPhone 6+ was coming I probably would have waited for that :/.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Lol. Strange people getting so passionate about this... To be honest flagship android phones and iPhone 6 are great phones, it's just personal preference. I like iPhone, always have. Think the 6 is a great phone personally.

shanec1928 wrote: »

yes but each for is significantly different to the last, not just a minor refresh using the same casing.

No chip, as I said I was a massive iPhone fan for year, but the competition caught up and surpassed Apple.

shanec1928 wrote: »

I think the cycle of when updates come is predictable for both OSes. However, the nature of what exactly the "next" android phone will have built in is far less predictable than apple, imo. There are dozens of companies working on their "next" android phone, and it's impossible to predict what they'll do. Apple, on the other hand, are unpredictable in the sense that anyone saying right now what the iPhone 6s will exactly be like is using pure guesswork. However, it's far more predictable than android in the sense that it's likely to be very incremental, based on every update they've had so far. They were the original innovators, but android is far more innovative and unpredictable these days. You just don't know what some left field, or even mainstream manufacturer will do next. Want to have an educated guess at what apple will do next? Have a look back a year or 2 and see what android was up to and pick out the best bits for the next iPhone.

I'm getting sucked into this debate, which is a tangent to my original question, far more than I thought I would! That wasn't my intention, there are enough "versus" threads already around.

I think the cycle of when updates come is predictable for both OSes. However, the nature of what exactly the "next" android phone will have built in is far less predictable than apple, imo. There are dozens of companies working on their "next" android phone, and it's impossible to predict what they'll do. Apple, on the other hand, are unpredictable in the sense that anyone saying right now what the iPhone 6s will exactly be like is using pure guesswork. However, it's far more predictable than android in the sense that it's likely to be very incremental, based on every update they've had so far. They were the original innovators, but android is far more innovative and unpredictable these days. You just don't know what some left field, or even mainstream manufacturer will do next. Want to know what apple will do next? Have a look back a year or 2 and see what android was up to and pick out the best bits for the next iPhone.

I'm getting sucked into this debate, which is a tangent to my original question, far more than I thought I would! That wasn't my intention, there are enough "versus" threads already around.

I think you have your answer then.

Sure get an iPhone, keep it in the box and sell it on Adverts and use the money to get a OPO. Use the rest on a night out or something.

kjl wrote: »
    I think you have your answer then.

Sure get an iPhone, keep it in the box and sell it on Adverts and use the money to get a OPO. Use the rest on a night out or something.

I don't have my answer.

If my question was "which os is better?" or "which os is more innovative?", then maybe my opinion has added to answering that. "Better" is subjective, no point in asking people about that. "Innovative" is less subjective, and I believe android right now is more innovative. But that not necessarily what I'm after, or answering my question.

However, my question was not adversarial at all. I did not set out to answer those questions. I did feel like responding to some of the posts, though, but even then they were a bit off track.

Let's be clear. I used iOS for 3 years. I've used android for 3 years. I'm seriously considering an iPhone for my next upgrade. The 2 factors that I've given for thinking this way are firstly, better camera, secondly, better service if something goes wrong.

My questions were, if you've moved from android to iPhone 6, how has it been? Do you miss anything from android? Is there anything that makes you think it was a bad choice?

With those original questions in mind, it is wrong to think I've answered my own question. The only ones that can answer them are people that have recently made the move I'm thinking of making. I haven't yet made the move, so I can't answer the question myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

harr wrote: »
    Thinking of going back to iPhone myself next month,have iPad and Apple TV so I like the integration between them...what gets to me is waiting for updates from phone companies...new android updates are great and all but having to wait up to a year is a joke...some lovely android phones available at the moment but to get a decent unlocked one is just to expensive.
    So I will be going from a note 2 to a 6 plus.....

And the 6+ isn't expensive?

You mention updates. What about Apple's magnificent update which recently fcuked up basic features like making a phone call?

Sam Mac wrote: »
    And the 6+ isn't expensive?

You mention updates. What about Apple's magnificent update which recently fcuked up basic features like making a phone call?

I think they mean getting an unlocked android is expensive. Having one locked to a network means delays getting updates. At least with the iPhone even if you get a subsidized one from a network, you get the update when apple pushes it. I know there were issues with the first push of iOS 8, but they were fixed very fast, and lollipop hasn't been exactly text book either.

Oh jaysus. Am I starting to sound like an apple fanboy already? Feck.

Cost wise, I can only afford a subsidized 16gb 6, not a larger memory or the 6+. That's a sticking point for me too, as I currently have a 32gb phone.

• Advertisement

On the topic of software updates **** ups. It's unacceptable that apple broke cellular and touchid with 8.0.1. it's a testament to their quality that millions of people actually want to update on the first day and one **** up in 8 years is an exceptional track record.

Who makes phone calls anyways :P

Advertisement