Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Who has switched from Android to iPhone6?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

On the topic of software updates **** ups. It's unacceptable that apple broke cellular and touchid with 8.0.1. it's a testament to their quality that millions of people actually want to update on the first day and one **** up in 8 years is an exceptional track record.

Who makes phone calls anyways :P

As an Android user, I WANT to update on the first day, but it just doesn't work like that. My HTC is still waiting (should be sometime very soon), which is to be expected.

However, I also have a Nexus 7, and even that took a few weeks to get the update. That's not good. But, it has to be said, the latest version of Android on that tablet is very good. Visual make over and new functions. It's not bad at all. Can't see myself changing that even if I do switch to iPhone. The screen is a perfect size for me, compared to the iPads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Oh jaysus. Am I starting to sound like an apple fanboy already? Feck.

Cost wise, I can only afford a subsidized 16gb 6, not a larger memory or the 6+. That's a sticking point for me too, as I currently have a 32gb phone.

Not a fanboi, just someone who has good knowledge of both systems. Fanboys ignore the inherent weaknesses in a given system.

Personally i wouldn't buy a 16GB iPhone. I run out of space too quickly on a 32GB anyway but i like having a good bit of music on my phone. You'd be better off saving the extra needed to get the higher end iPhone, or go get the equivalent Android.

Although i have a Lumia 930 and am a windows fanboy! :D It's got a fantastic camera!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I love how quickly Apply devices can take pictures but other than that I'd be of no help as I'm a but of an Android fanboy haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭AnimalChin

I was in the same boat as yourself OP. I've been and Android and iOS user for years. I have a Nexus 5, but just ordered the 6 plus.

I didn't like Android L. I have a Macbook so that kind of helped nudge me back to iOS. That and the fact I've always preferred iOS, but went with Android phones because there was a proper file system I could use when I didn't have a laptop.

Now it's it's a lot easier I have one, and the integration between devices is great.

As regards space - I just went for the 16GB. I've never needed more than that on any phone. I mostly stream my music and videos. For everything else, I've my MBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

This thread was always going to turn into an Android v iOS battle of some sort, but to help the OP it kind of had to. It's part of what he was asking.

I'm currently using the iPhone 6, it's my favourite phone since the iPhone 4 and the second biggest jump since the original imo. I haven't switched from Android and haven't had too much use with it but I do keep an interest in all OSes so I suppose I can offer insight.

Seeing some of the crazy replies from the past few pages how one OS is s**t compared to the other is madness. At this point iOS and Android are hitting pretty level ground, Lolipop is the first version of Android that I visually think looks good. It was something that always discouraged me from using it. I've always liked iOS and 7.0 really helped updating the stale interface that started to show its age. For the OP going to a new phone will most likely mean your going to get either iOS 8 or Android 5.0 and you can't go wrong with either. Both look great, run great and have strengths and weaknesses over eachother.

I'd call Android more flexible with what you can do rather than open and if your somebody that needs to customise and have things exactly like you want them that's the way to go, however iOS still has better ties to other devices and Apple services such as iCloud sync, Continuity, Handoff and having apps and OS updates from day one no matter what your device or country.

Again they're both so close lately with great designs and performance it's really the little things that set them apart.

Hardware wise again there's so much choice, I'd be a fan of stock android more so than having skins but I really like the interface HTC is using, also most Moto devices are almost stock. Depending on screens your choice for iOS is either the 6 or the 6 Plus, both brilliant all round phones. If I was looking at Android I'd probably be interested in the Moto X, the new HTC M9 that's coming in March and if your a fan of bigger screens the Nexus 6 or Note 4.

There's so much choice now so it's hard to make a decision, you need to decide whether you want to start using iOS or Android, then decide which device to go with, but seeing as your happy with the HTC and imo one of its biggest downsides (the camera) is supposedly being one of the main updates in the M9 maybe it might be an idea to wait until March and decide which to go for.

DubDJ wrote: »
    This thread was always going to turn into an Android v iOS battle of some sort, but to help the OP it kind of had to. It's part of what he was asking.

I'm currently using the iPhone 6, it's my favourite phone since the iPhone 4 and the second biggest jump since the original imo. I haven't switched from Android and haven't had too much use with it but I do keep an interest in all OSes so I suppose I can offer insight.

Seeing some of the crazy replies from the past few pages how one OS is s**t compared to the other is madness. At this point iOS and Android are hitting pretty level ground, Lolipop is the first version of Android that I visually think looks good. It was something that always discouraged me from using it. I've always liked iOS and 7.0 really helped updating the stale interface that started to show its age. For the OP going to a new phone will most likely mean your going to get either iOS 8 or Android 5.0 and you can't go wrong with either. Both look great, run great and have strengths and weaknesses over eachother.

I'd call Android more flexible with what you can do rather than open and if your somebody that needs to customise and have things exactly like you want them that's the way to go, however iOS still has better ties to other devices and Apple services such as iCloud sync, Continuity, Handoff and having apps and OS updates from day one no matter what your device or country.

Again they're both so close lately with great designs and performance it's really the little things that set them apart.

Hardware wise again there's so much choice, I'd be a fan of stock android more so than having skins but I really like the interface HTC is using, also most Moto devices are almost stock. Depending on screens your choice for iOS is either the 6 or the 6 Plus, both brilliant all round phones. If I was looking at Android I'd probably be interested in the Moto X, the new HTC M9 that's coming in March and if your a fan of bigger screens the Nexus 6 or Note 4.

There's so much choice now so it's hard to make a decision, you need to decide whether you want to start using iOS or Android, then decide which device to go with, but seeing as your happy with the HTC and imo one of its biggest downsides (the camera) is supposedly being one of the main updates in the M9 maybe it might be an idea to wait until March and decide which to go for.

Im leaning more towards the iPhone as time goes by. It seems it's a "best of both worlds" device in terms of hardware that just works, a great camera, and being able to run Google apps well. I'm too invested in google apps to switch completely to imail or icalendar, or whatever apple call their service (icloud??). So it's great that I can still use my G Apps on it. Obviously, it's not as flexible, and with android there is way more choice of handset, but TBH I'm kind of over my tinkering phase. I want a solid camera, a well made handset, and a device that can be turned around in a few days for warranty work if it comes to it. Android has a few devices that can give me 2 of those things, but not all three.

My upgrade is due at the end of Feb, so I guess I'll be able to see what HTC do with the next One before I have to decide for sure. Rumoured to have a 20mp camera, and that could be great, but that still leaves the long wait for warranty work to think about. When my iPhone 4 had a mic issue, Apple sent a courier to pick it up and deliver it back, all done over a bank holiday weekend.

Im leaning more towards the iPhone as time goes by. It seems it's a "best of both worlds" device in terms of hardware that just works, a great camera, and being able to run Google apps well. I'm too invested in google apps to switch completely to imail or icalendar, or whatever apple call their service (icloud??). So it's great that I can still use my G Apps on it. Obviously, it's not as flexible, and with android there is way more choice of handset, but TBH I'm kind of over my tinkering phase. I want a solid camera, a well made handset, and a device that can be turned around in a few days for warranty work if it comes to it. Android has a few devices that can give me 2 of those things, but not all three.

My upgrade is due at the end of Feb, so I guess I'll be able to see what HTC do with the next One before I have to decide for sure. Rumoured to have a 20mp camera, and that could be great, but that still leaves the long wait for warranty work to think about. When my iPhone 4 had a mic issue, Apple sent a courier to pick it up and deliver it back, all done over a bank holiday weekend.

Yeah I love that Google have all their main apps on iOS and they focus on them with regular updates, sometimes even before the Android version. I feel the iPhone to be more of an all rounder in the world of smartphones. It does everything really well where other phones might focus on certain features and lose out on others. The new HTC looks promising though, great design and performance and hopefully now the camera to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Currently using a htc one m7. My upgrade was due with meteor and I got the m8. Absolutely hated the phone, too long, too thick. A real step backwards.

Anyway, I brought it back after a dispute over contracts and have just ordered iPhone 6. I'm actually exited to receive it now, will let you know how I get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Mr. TTime wrote: »
    Battery life is comparable to the Oneplus One but not as good. Neither does it charge as fast.[/I]"

Dig out your old iPad charger, it will charge a lot faster with the higher wattage transformer.

• Advertisement

Still on the fence, and even considering windows phone for a change.

I think that the iPhone would pay better with the Google ecosystem which I'm happy enough with, though. WP seems like it's better suited of you want to cut all ties with Google. I still want gmail, maps, plus.

Just on gmail, in the native iOS mail app can you send emails straight to trash (I think you can) and can you then select all and permanently delete them from the gmail account? I don't want to just put stuff in trash and then have to go to the web on my PC to empty the trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Still on the fence, and even considering windows phone for a change.

I think that the iPhone would pay better with the Google ecosystem which I'm happy enough with, though. WP seems like it's better suited of you want to cut all ties with Google. I still want gmail, maps, plus.

Just on gmail, in the native iOS mail app can you send emails straight to trash (I think you can) and can you then select all and permanently delete them from the gmail account? I don't want to just put stuff in trash and then have to go to the web on my PC to empty the trash.

I would presume so. I use hotmail, but that's exactly how it works with the standard iOS mail app

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Being an Android user for past 5 years I have plunged for an iPhone 6 64gb from a HTC One Why?
    Well I was looking at how I use the phone and lately my thinkering is over and I just use apps mostly. Also the size of the iPhone appealled there was no android out there that I wanted right now. Maybe that would change after MWC but I jumped now.
    I would have went for the Nexus but for 2 reasons 1. It's too big 2. It's not available for me. I have work phone.

So now after a couple of weeks on the iPhone I must say I'm v impressed.
    Here's some of my thoughts, if I think of more ill add in.

Good

Apps - so far user very little difference from App Store except for sharing from apps is weaker and
    Miss installing non App Store apps
    Apple pay - even though NFC and Google wallet being out a while Apple pay will take off
    Same with home automation thats coming
    Podcasts - much better implementation
    Charger - 2 sided say no more
    Performance - not comparing to current android but I think iOS performs better even with lesser spec
    iOS 8 smoothest I've used by far .. Would need to compare to lollipop but so far iOS speed is soooo fast .. Never waiting on the OS to respond
    Camera - excellent camera but little use so far
    Battery - battery life on Android is poor I never get to second day.. Always needs charging by end of day
    Before when I arrived at work my battery was at 95% today on iPhone it was 100%..no loss
    At 40% now after v heavy use today.. I would be charging with HTC One
    During standby android definitely eats battery.. I always used to be looking for wake locks etc.. lollipop is supposed to have fixed this I would hope

iOS Annoyances
    No back button navigation - really miss this
    Cannot move to middle of words when typing ..
    No inbuilt Swipe keyboard
    No Upnp - miss DL'ing and casting movies
    No torrents
    iTunes needed to synch backup
    Sharing apps - e.g. cannot use outlook app as default sharing mail app- maybe this needs developer implementation iOS8?
    Siri - Google now much better
    Clearing notifications 2 clicks - prefer swipe
    Home screen moving apps or hiding apps - I don't need to see these apple apps
    Silent symbol - don't know looking at screen if on silent so can forget to re enable
    No MHL - prob redundant now but useful for travelling
    Volume only all in one - no distinct volumes for alarm ring etc
    Smart dial - was shocked this is not on iOS
    Multitasking - works somewhat
    A lot above related to the openness of android if that's important

Android Annoyances
    Synching slows - after joining wifi a synch used to start with Google and exchange,, during this time the OS grinds to a halt
    Updating apps - again affects performance badly
    Is this because how android and iOS differ in where the apps are installed in OS
    Messenger apps - really messed this up compared to iMessage . Hangouts, messenger, HTC messages -- 3 apps for messaging
    Same with Photos - why can't the make it simpler for average user
    Updates - unless you have a Nexus waiting for updates is bloody annoying
    US only - how many times have I heard this from Google

So what would I pick next. All depends on what's available when i upgrade. Not tying to either mobile OS and great that Google apps work so well on iPhone as I can synch my photos and contacts on iphone which was a big turn off from iPhone previously

Also Cost €€€€€ will always be an important factor for most

ftm2008 wrote: »
    Being an Android user for past 5 years I have plunged for an iPhone 6 64gb from a HTC One Why?
    Well I was looking at how I use the phone and lately my thinkering is over and I just use apps mostly. Also the size of the iPhone appealled there was no android out there that I wanted right now. Maybe that would change after MWC but I jumped now.
    I would have went for the Nexus but for 2 reasons 1. It's too big 2. It's not available for me. I have work phone.

So now after a couple of weeks on the iPhone I must say I'm v impressed.
    Here's some of my thoughts, if I think of more ill add in.

Good

Apps - so far user very little difference from App Store except for sharing from apps is weaker and
    Miss installing non App Store apps
    Apple pay - even though NFC and Google wallet being out a while Apple pay will take off
    Same with home automation thats coming
    Podcasts - much better implementation
    Charger - 2 sided say no more
    Performance - not comparing to current android but I think iOS performs better even with lesser spec
    iOS 8 smoothest I've used by far .. Would need to compare to lollipop but so far iOS speed is soooo fast .. Never waiting on the OS to respond
    Camera - excellent camera but little use so far
    Battery - battery life on Android is poor I never get to second day.. Always needs charging by end of day
    Before when I arrived at work my battery was at 95% today on iPhone it was 100%..no loss
    At 40% now after v heavy use today.. I would be charging with HTC One
    During standby android definitely eats battery.. I always used to be looking for wake locks etc.. lollipop is supposed to have fixed this I would hope

iOS Annoyances
    No torrents
    Sharing apps - e.g. cannot use outlook app as default sharing mail app- maybe this needs developer implementation iOS8?
    Silent symbol - don't know looking at screen if on silent so can forget to re enable
    A lot above related to the openness of android if that's important

Android Annoyances
    Synching slows - after joining wifi a synch used to start with Google and exchange,, during this time the OS grinds to a halt
    Updating apps - again affects performance badly
    Is this because how android and iOS differ in where the apps are installed in OS
    Messenger apps - really messed this up compared to iMessage . Hangouts, messenger, HTC messages -- 3 apps for messaging
    Same with Photos - why can't the make it simpler for average user
    Updates - unless you have a Nexus waiting for updates is bloody annoying
    US only - how many times have I heard this from Google

So what would I pick next. All depends on what's available when i upgrade. Not tying to either mobile OS and great that Google apps work so well on iPhone as I can synch my photos and contacts on iphone which was a big turn off from iPhone previously

Also Cost €€€€€ will always be an important factor for most

Very thorough answer, thanks for your input. My upgrade date is about 2 weeks away, but I've sold my One and I'm using an old nokia ATM.

I'm fairly sure at this stage that I'll go for the iPhone 6, 64gb version. Definitely not going android again, I want a change, and the guys in IT at work are all singing the praises of Windows Phone, but I'm not convinced by it.

I think wanting a change is an important factor, a change is as good as a rest

I think wanting a change is an important factor, a change is as good as a rest
    Agree - like a new toy

Forgot 1 thing - Touch ID. - nice feature and was huge help in getting all apps across
    Android tried Face recognition isn't user friendly
    But not sure why you need to enter password for every app to install .. any way to avoid this'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Agree - like a new toy

Forgot 1 thing - Touch ID. - nice feature and was huge help in getting all apps across
    Android tried Face recognition isn't user friendly
    But not sure why you need to enter password for every app to install .. any way to avoid this'?

If you go into Touch ID settings you can turn on Touch ID for iTunes and App Store. That'll just ask for your fingerprint each time.

Zcott wrote: »
    If you go into Touch ID settings you can turn on Touch ID for iTunes and App Store. That'll just ask for your fingerprint each time.
    Yes I have this enabled what I mean is why ask every time .. My phone is already passcode protected so surely it's would be only necessary to require authentication for paid apps. Especially with apples strict App Store policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

B

iOS Annoyances
    No torrents

This part is not correct. Press and hold in text entry field and a magnifying glass will appear and the cursor can be placed anywhere you want.

murpho999 wrote: »
    This part is not correct. Press and hold in text entry field and a magnifying glass will appear and the cursor can be placed anywhere you want.
    thanks ill knock that off the list - actually seems a better method

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I got the Nokia 930 and I love it. I'd never go back to IOS. amazing spec and the connectivity between all my devices is unreal. I can't see me ever changing from a Windows phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Owned iphone 3gs, Galaxy S2 and now a Nokia 920. Happiest with the 920 and have no desire to upgrade it unlike the others. Actually have ended up with more useful apps on my 920 than the other 2 combined. Camera and related apps are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yes I have this enabled what I mean is why ask every time .. My phone is already passcode protected so surely it's would be only necessary to require authentication for paid apps. Especially with apples strict App Store policy.

This is actually to stop kids buying loads of apps on your account after you buy one. The timeout on the password is 15 minutes and I don't think you can lengthen that.

See: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1517037

Zcott wrote: »
    This is actually to stop kids buying loads of apps on your account after you buy one. The timeout on the password is 15 minutes and I don't think you can lengthen that.

See: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1517037

still nice to have the option for free apps, some people don't have kids and others don't hand over a €800 phone to their kids for playing with :) anyhow first world problem

Hi. The countdown to upgrade day continues! About a week and a half to go. I'm using an old nokia brick at the moment, so the excitement is building as I'm balancing my frustration with the nokia against looking forward to being back in smartphone territory.

Just on battery life, are there any power saving settings like on android? What I mean is, can you let WiFi and data turn off automatically if they're left idle for a while and then come back on when the screen is turned on, like on most androids, either built into the os or using an app like juice defender?

Or do you manually turn data and WiFi on and off with the quick toggles panel? Does the 3G/4G data automatically shut down when WiFi is in use and come back on if you drop out of WiFi coverage?

Or do you just leave them on all the time and find it okay?

Hi. The countdown to upgrade day continues! About a week and a half to go. I'm using an old nokia brick at the moment, so the excitement is building as I'm balancing my frustration with the nokia against looking forward to being back in smartphone territory.

Just on battery life, are there any power saving settings like on android? What I mean is, can you let WiFi and data turn off automatically if they're left idle for a while and then come back on when the screen is turned on, like on most androids, either built into the os or using an app like juice defender?

Or do you manually turn data and WiFi on and off with the quick toggles panel? Does the 3G/4G data automatically shut down when WiFi is in use and come back on if you drop out of WiFi coverage?

Or do you just leave them on all the time and find it okay?

No there's norhing built into iOS to manage this kind of thing, there's no power management either.

A power saving mode could be nice but it will mean the phone will loose a lot of the normal performance power because of it. I personally don't turn lots of stuff off on my iPhone, wifi, data, Bluetooth and all the little additions like background app refresh are left on. I get at least one day out of the iPhone 6 with a lot of use. With not much use it will last two days easy.

DubDJ wrote: »
    No there's norhing built into iOS to manage this kind of thing, there's no power management either.

A power saving mode could be nice but it will mean the phone will loose a lot of the normal performance power because of it. I personally don't turn lots of stuff off on my iPhone, wifi, data, Bluetooth and all the little additions like background app refresh are left on. I get at least one day out of the iPhone 6 with a lot of use. With not much use it will last two days easy.

My experience is the same

Picked up my new iPhone 6 today! Getting used to having no back button and not being able to use a swipe keyboard everywhere is the hardest but so far.

Otherwise, very happy.

Thanks to all those who contributed to my original post. I'll do up a proper impression of a recent android convert and post it here after a few days for the benefit of anyone else thinking of making the move.

Picked up my new iPhone 6 today! Getting used to having no back button and not being able to use a swipe keyboard everywhere is the hardest but so far.

Otherwise, very happy.

Thanks to all those who contributed to my original post. I'll do up a proper impression of a recent android convert and post it here after a few days for the benefit of anyone else thinking of making the move.

Try SwiftKey keyboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The back button is the thing you'll miss most, muscle memory doesn't quit so easily.

Advertisement