Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Who has switched from Android to iPhone6?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

When I changed back to iOS from android I did initially miss tha back button but learned to use the swipe from the left side that is used as a a back button in most system apps. Prefer this now and miss it when using android devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Armonline wrote: »
    When I changed back to iOS from android I did initially miss tha back button but learned to use the swipe from the left side that is used as a a back button in most system apps. Prefer this now and miss it when using android devices

Yeah, the swipe works well in system apps fairly well, getting used to it now. Double click on the home button to select the last app from the multi task view works well too, beyond system apps. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's not as handy as the back button!

I have Swiftkey on there too, but I find it easy less accurate than swiping on the android version. Is Swype any better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Picked up my new iPhone 6 today! Getting used to having no back button and not being able to use a swipe keyboard everywhere is the hardest but so far.

Otherwise, very happy.

Thanks to all those who contributed to my original post. I'll do up a proper impression of a recent android convert and post it here after a few days for the benefit of anyone else thinking of making the move.

Id be very interested in that wayne. Im due an upgrade and am looking at the iphone 6 - changing from an Xperia Z2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

banquo wrote: »
    The back button is the thing you'll miss most, muscle memory doesn't quit so easily.

Muscle memory is a bitch!

I'm still reaching to the top of the iPhone for the Sleep/Wake button on the iPhone 6.

I'm also using the Sleep/Wake button to take a photo as opposed to the Volume Up button.

So annoying.

Right, I've had it a few days, so here's my first attempt at answering my own question!

I'm getting used to no back button. Swiping from the left works on the same way in most cases, and if not a double tap to show recent apps will get you back fairly quickly. Maybe overall not quite as slick as the back button, but you get used to it.

Not exactly handset related, but the app store isn't as good as the play store..... There are no refund facilities and most of the apps that I really want to try out are expensive by android standards. The refund function in the play store is definitely something I miss (although I can still get my fix on my Nexus 7!).

Font sizes aren't consistent throughout. You can set an overall size in the settings to suit yourself, but then go to something like the Facebook app and the font size is the same as always.

Battery stats are just okay. There's no way to show screen on time, for example, just an overall "usage" time, which is a bit vague compared to the detail you get from android.

I don't see any way to schedule the weather updates. In terms of location services, if you want the weather in the widgets, you either have to have location on all the time or not at all. In android you can set the weather widget to update and use location at intervals to suit yourself. I'd like to have the weather widget in the today drawer, but it's off now because the drawback of having location on all the time outweighs the convenience IMO.

Swiftkey seems less accurate than on android, but it's still better than the individual key presses of the stock iOS keyboard. Moving around text to make edits is better on the iPhone, the little magnifying glass is way better at placing the cursor than the android way.

Otherwise, can't think of anything else right now, but I'll give another update in a while.

Edit!
    Another thing that could be implemented better is the control centre. I like the way it looks, but it should be more configurable. For instance, one of the quick toggles I used several times a day on android was mobile data on/off. Control centre has Bluetooth and WiFi, but you should be able to have a toggle for mobile data there too.

• Advertisement

Just a few notes:

There are refund options, they are just terribly buried somewhere in the App Store (not ideal, I know).

The dynamic font sizes is something that came in iOS 7, it works system wide but not in third party apps unless supported by the developer. Facebook has probably got tonnes of legacy here and haven't updated yet to support this.

Just a few notes:

There are refund options, they are just terribly buried somewhere in the App Store (not ideal, I know).

The dynamic font sizes is something that came in iOS 7, it works system wide but not in third party apps unless supported by the developer. Facebook has probably got tonnes of legacy here and haven't updated yet to support this.

Just had a quick look, couldn't find any refund thing in the app store. Maybe it's on computer version only? Is there a grace period like on play store? I haven't bought anything that I want a refund for, but I've seen a few things that I'm unsure about and would like to try first.

Just had a quick look, couldn't find any refund thing in the app store. Maybe it's on computer version only? Is there a grace period like on play store? I haven't bought anything that I want a refund for, but I've seen a few things that I'm unsure about and would like to try first.

You're right you have to do it through iTunes on a Mac or pc.

http://m.imore.com/how-request-refund-itunes-or-app-store-purchase

This really should be better. Unfortunately there is no grace periods either. Again like above this really should be better and many developers have been aching for these features since the launch of the App Store.

You're right you have to do it through iTunes on a Mac or pc.

http://m.imore.com/how-request-refund-itunes-or-app-store-purchase

This really should be better. Unfortunately there is no grace periods either. Again like above this really should be better and many developers have been aching for these features since the launch of the App Store.

Yeah. And it seems to be for technical reasons rather than the straight "I don't like the app so give me the money back " approach on the play store. In fact, in the play store you don't have to "apply" for it or give reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The refund policy for the App Store has changed recently. You can now get a refund on apps and iTunes downloads no questions asked. I don't know what device is required but you have a decent amount of time to request the refund. I can't add a link at the moment but there should be details if you give it a quick search. It's Europe only as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

You can get a refund no questions asked within 14 days of purchase on iOS apps. You don't need iTunes on your PC just click on the refund link on the receipt invoice and log in with your iTunes details. The link is

https://reportaproblem.apple.com

You will get your refund within minutes.

Armonline wrote: »
    You can get a refund no questions asked within 14 days of purchase on iOS apps. You don't need iTunes on your PC just click on the refund link on the receipt invoice and log in with your iTunes details. The link is

https://reportaproblem.apple.com

You will get your refund within minutes.

Thanks. Just tried that and got confirmation email for refund. The app is still on my phone, but I assume it'll be gone if I power off and on again?

Thanks. Just tried that and got confirmation email for refund. The app is still on my phone, but I assume it'll be gone if I power off and on again?

No theres a bit of a problem here for developers because the apps still stay on the device and work as normal. So there's nothing stopping somebody from downloading an app and getting their money back while continuing to use it. You won't be able to download it again for free but it's yours to keep as long as you don't remove it from your device.

Hopefully Apple have a system to stop people using this to get apps for free, otherwise devs will be reluctant to build apps if they can be gotten for free using this method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

DubDJ wrote: »
    No theres a bit of a problem here for developers because the apps still stay on the device and work as normal. So there's nothing stopping somebody from downloading an app and getting their money back while continuing to use it. You won't be able to download it again for free but it's yours to keep as long as you don't remove it from your device.

Hopefully Apple have a system to stop people using this to get apps for free, otherwise devs will be reluctant to build apps if they can be gotten for free using this method.

I suppose they could catch the people who do this all the time.

It looks to me like Apple responded to a change in the law as fast as they could without fully thinking it through. The user should have the app removed or make it stop working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

as a developer, it's unbelievable that I can't refund unhappy users on appstore. i have to send the iOS user the money through paypal and eat the Apple 30%! on the Play store, it's simple.

as a developer, it's unbelievable that I can't refund unhappy users on appstore. i have to send the iOS user the money through paypal and eat the Apple 30%! on the Play store, it's simple.

Why can't you?

DubDJ wrote: »
    Why can't you?

just no option to refund from itunesconnect. so I've to do it manually through paypal and let Apple keep their 30%. and that's if the user has paypal. in Play store, you just go into the transaction on Google Wallet and can refund everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

That's weird, the handful of times I've needed a refund it's never come from PayPal, always Apple.

Yeah I don't really understand. The last few posts have been about getting refunds though the App Store no questions asked. Why can't you just refund people using that method?

Okay, 1 week in, and all good. Although SwiftKey seems better in Android, it's definitely better than tapping keys on the standard ios keyboard. So that's okay.

I'm getting about 24 hours out of a full charge. That's fine, it does the job, and I'm not trying to be overly careful with it. It means a charge every night. The battery in my old M7 was good for 36 hours with similar usage.

Can't really say that miss anything too technical at this stage. Maybe the ability to clear apps out of the library once they're deleted. In the play store you can permanently erase apps you've tried and deleted, but they seem to hang around in the App store. I'm sure they can be cleared off through iTunes, but being able to tidy up directly on the phone is a plus for android.

One slightly obscure thing I miss is a good quality podcast on ios matters. I really enjoyed the android podcasts by people like Android Central and All About Android. They were geeky, but fun. The only ones I've found by fans and users of iPhone are very dry affairs by comparison. I listened to a bit of an android central podcast yesterday, and I realized how messy android really is. It was all about complaining about fragmentation and slow roll out of updates. Maybe that's why there are no fun ios podcasts.....less to complain about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Okay, 1 week in, and all good. Although SwiftKey seems better in Android, it's definitely better than tapping keys on the standard ios keyboard. So that's okay.

I'm getting about 24 hours out of a full charge. That's fine, it does the job, and I'm not trying to be overly careful with it. It means a charge every night. The battery in my old M7 was good for 36 hours with similar usage.

Can't really say that miss anything too technical at this stage. Maybe the ability to clear apps out of the library once they're deleted. In the play store you can permanently erase apps you've tried and deleted, but they seem to hang around in the App store. I'm sure they can be cleared off through iTunes, but being able to tidy up directly on the phone is a plus for android.

One slightly obscure thing I miss is a good quality podcast on ios matters. I really enjoyed the android podcasts by people like Android Central and All About Android. They were geeky, but fun. The only ones I've found by fans and users of iPhone are very dry affairs by comparison. I listened to a bit of an android central podcast yesterday, and I realized how messy android really is. It was all about complaining about fragmentation and slow roll out of updates. Maybe that's why there are no fun ios podcasts.....less to complain about.

you can delete downloaded apps from your history by swiping left or right and clicking hide or delete.

Blazer wrote: »
    you can delete downloaded apps from your history by swiping left or right and clicking hide or delete.

Directly in the app store app? That's not showing up for me. In the history list, swipes seem to have no effect

Another thing that could be implemented better is the control centre. I like the way it looks, but it should be more configurable. For instance, one of the quick toggles I used several times a day on android was mobile data on/off. Control centre has Bluetooth and WiFi, but you should be able to have a toggle for mobile data there too.

If you're open to jail breaking, you can customize the control centre for loads of things, including mobile data. The icon on far right in the screenshot.

8gt9wmM.jpg

If you're open to jail breaking, you can customize the control centre for loads of things, including mobile data. The icon on far right in the screenshot.

8gt9wmM.jpg

I did jailbreak my iPhone 4 a few years ago, so I'm open to it. Does it leave a trace like rooting does on an android phone, or if you undo it can apple never tell you've done it? My only concern would be if I needed warranty work done. I'd like to think that I could undo the jailbreak and leave no trace, without having to jump through hoops.

Also, does the jailbreak have any impact on battery life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Blazer wrote: »

I remember my girlfriend wanting to delete a app on app store and she couldn't swipe on her 5s, I could do it on my 6 tho and that was in the same screen.

Advertisement