Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Quazzie wrote: »
    Which goal?

Today's one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Was there some kind of Twitter campaign to vote Wilshere as goal of the season? Only reason I can think of.

So have the pool fans started whinging about coutinho not getting goal of the Season yet? Only a matter of time before that happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Corholio wrote: »
    Was there some kind of Twitter campaign to vote Wilshere as goal of the season? Only reason I can think of.

Ya the poll was hijacked by Arsenal fans...amusing if you're a Gooner, probably not so much for everyone else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

lol not even goal of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

So whats the team for next week?

I dont think he will start Walcott or Wilshire even after what they did yesterday.

I reckon he will go

Szcz (although am surprised he didnt play yesterday)
    Bellerin Kos Mert Monreal
    Coq Cazorla
    Rambo Ozil Sanchez
    Grioud

Obviously been his favoured outfield 10 for the last few months so I dont think he will change.

It still doesnt have perfect balance though. Ox on the right would probably give better balance without losing too much defensively but that certainly wont happen. We will we have great options from the bench anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

AdamD wrote: »
    lol not even goal of the day

Which one do you think was better yesterday? Walcott's? But yeah definitely not goal of the season.

I much prefer team goals that involve good passing like Wilshere's goal last year to just a good strike (even if they are satisfying when we score them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

DenMan wrote: »

Finally a replacement for Vieira!

Finally a replacement for Vieira!

10 years in the making!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

DenMan wrote: »
    10 years in the making!

shame we didn't get him 10 years ago. At 29 I hope he still has plenty to offer, (unless he ends up somewhere else of course!)

greendom wrote: »
    shame we didn't get him 10 years ago. At 29 I hope he still has plenty to offer, (unless he ends up somewhere else of course!)

Think he's just turned 28 last week. Would love to see him in Arsenal shirt but not getting my hopes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hes 28 (buddy is a Juve fan na dposted it on FB).

Would be a good option for 3-5 years though if Juventus want to do business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Hopefully we get another one of these from Ozil on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/OzilWizardry/status/602772338975858688

Realistically not signing Vidal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

1/3 of Wilshere's premier league goals have won goal of the season :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Apparently we get a 3 million bonus if Barcelona win the CL due to a claus in Vermalens contract. That same guy that has played just an hour's football since he left last year...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11606054/Arsenal-to-bank-3m-if-Barcelona-win-Champions-League-as-part-of-Thomas-Vermaelen-transfer.html

gun__1289548356_wenger11112010.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

That's the third time that's been posted now, come on lads...

That's the third time that's been posted now, come on lads...

Craictose intolerant

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Craictose intolerant

I need something to give out about don't I?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/may/24/how-does-raheem-sterling-score-against-ronaldo-messi-age-20

Interesting reading. Wouldn't like to see Walcott go the other way though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Corholio wrote: »

Arsenal fans vote in ridiculously high numbers in any poll. Be it on ITV, BBC or on Sky.....it's always an arsenal player who wins goal of the week/month/year in the polls whether they deserve it or not. It's a little irritating because it would be nice to see the best goal win......and that didnt happen.

Wilsheres goal was a cracker, but it wasnt even the best goal of the game. To call it goal of the season is totally ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Kirby wrote: »
    Arsenal fans vote in ridiculously high numbers in any poll. Be it on ITV, BBC or on Sky.....it's always an arsenal player who wins goal of the week/month/year in the polls whether they deserve it or not. It's a little irritating because it would be nice to see the best goal win......and that didnt happen.

Wilsheres goal was a cracker, but it wasnt even the best goal of the game. To call it goal of the season is totally ridiculous.

Thats democracy in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm a big Giroud fan BUT I think the Cup Final would be made for Walcott.
    He would thrive at Wembley and have loads of space to run into. Would tie the Villa defence in knots and make them think twice about going forward.

I also know it won't happen though as Giroud will start.

Does anyone else think we're jumping the gun a bit here with Walcott?

He had a good game and took advantage of a poor defence very similar to Welbeck against Gala.

It will take more than 1 good performance to convince me. Especially after some of the howlers he's had playing CF in the past.

I'm a big Giroud fan BUT I think the Cup Final would be made for Walcott.
    He would thrive at Wembley and have loads of space to run into. Would tie the Villa defence in knots and make them think twice about going forward.

I also know it won't happen though as Giroud will start.

I would be gobsmacked if Giroud didnt start but it is 540 mins since he scored which is a long time.
    Perhaps Theo would be a better option of the bench anyway?

he looked great when he came on for the last 20 against Sunderland. He's fresh, in form and with something to prove. I'd be happy to see him play up top or out wide. I think with him in the starting line-up we can catch them early and have them too worried about leaving space behind to pose too much of a threat to our defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ronjo wrote: »
    I would be gobsmacked if Giroud didnt start but it is 540 mins since he scored which is a long time.
    Perhaps Theo would be a better option of the bench anyway?

It's hard to judge.
    1. Walcott's pace would really worry their big defenders and pen them back.
    2. Giroud's defensive capabilities would also be a great help when those big defenders come up for corners and frees as well as for our corners and frees.

• Advertisement

Id go with theo up front, hes got momentum, his pace would scare villa, and giroud came come off the bench if we need the change.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Play both I reckon.

What channels is the final on?

Bbc

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Play both I reckon.

BBC & Setanta; bit of an all day thing on the Beeb too.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32801726

BBC & Setanta; bit of an all day thing on the Beeb too.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32801726

Just like the good old days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

I think it would be unfair not to start Walcott after a performance like that.
    Giroud hasn't scored in eight games, and Walcott scores 3 in one. Theres no incentive for players to play well if their not rewarded with a start for a good performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

gosplan wrote: »
    Not a hope really.
    latest?cb=20090720220816

^^^^^Just like Ozil and Sanchez

^^^^^Just like Ozil and Sanchez

Ah yeah but Barca and Madrid be crazy!!

Why would Juve sell Vidal and why would he want to leave?

Maybe they will sell him. I just can't see why.

• Advertisement

To play with his pal in London of course :)

ronjo wrote: »
    To play with his pal in London of course :)

With the Copa America starting soon too, Sanchez will have plenty of time to convince him ;)

Well sure if you're going to believe it's possible, then you may as well believe the rumours and take it as a done deal.

I love when they 'wait to announce' stuff till random dates in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Vidal is world class but he is not the type of player we need imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

On the Giroud/Walcott debate....we have to be very wary of the win and performance on Sunday. Someone said why didn't we play like that against Sunderland? Arguably we did attempt to but met a team fighting for their lives. WBA didn't press us and there was no last ditch defending. If we think Villa we will be more WBA than Sunderland then we are deluded.

On Theo....always a fan and don't want him to leave but again....scored early in a pressure free game and then did what we always know he can do...take teams apart. Is it enough to justify a start over Giroud?

It's been said many times that teams can set up very easily to stifle Theo as the lone striker. I think the ideal scenario would be Theo and Giroud on the pitch together but that will only happen for 20 mins no matter who starts. So while it could be great to imagine Theo thriving in all that space...I don't think we will get much early on anyway. If they put a high striker/midfield press on us then we could struggle without Giroud as an outball option.

Despite all this I am conflicted myself as Theo does provide something very different and unpredictable while Giroud compliments the rest excellently, is a key man defensively for us and provided the moment of magic in last years final.

But thats the opposite side of the spectrum , I don't for a split second believe that it's any where near a done deal or i'm not even not even sure if it's someone in his mothers basement making up transfer stories (isn't that the metro website in a nutshell ) but to say that it'd be unrealistic for us to be in for him is mad

We should and will be in for this calibre of player in the summer I'm sure of it and yes Alexis would be a great hand in any deal to get Vidal and if we were to get him I'd rather we did it before the Copa

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Doubt it myself but it's not hard to come up with reasons for both questions.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Play both I reckon.

BBC1 and Setanta. TV3 are also showing it. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Football insider understands..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement