Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

"We are not in transfer mode."

Classic Wenger side-step. It's on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Is there a chance we could get the winners of tonight's Europa League final (Dnipro vs Sevilla) in the Champions League group stages next season? The winners of tonight go straight to the group stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

DenMan wrote: »
    Is there a chance we could get the winners of tonight's Europa League final (Dnipro vs Sevilla) in the Champions League group stages next season? The winners of tonight go straight to the group stages.

Possibly. We will be in the 2nd pot and they would id imagine be in the 3rd or 4th

wawaman wrote: »
    Possibly. We will be in the 2nd pot and they would id imagine be in the 3rd or 4th

Well that sucks, we'll be in a group with one of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atelico Madrid, Bayern, Schalke, Benfica or Porto. Hopefully Schalke. :P Or do this year's winners leapfrog into the 1st pot? Which would mean Juventus instead of Porto.
    On the plus side we can't get PSG next year.

Pretty sure Sevilla will be in the 3rd (currently 23rd on coefficients) pot and Dnipro in the 4th if they win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

Well that sucks, we'll be in a group with one of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atelico Madrid, Bayern, Schalke, Benfica or Porto. Hopefully Schalke. :P Or do this year's winners leapfrog into the 1st pot? Which would mean Juventus instead of Porto.
    On the plus side we can't get PSG next year.

Pretty sure Sevilla will be in the 3rd (currently 23rd on coefficients) pot and Dnipro in the 4th if they win.

Real and Atletico will surely be in pot 2 with us. Barca and Bayern in pot 1.

ronjo wrote: »
    Real and Atletico will surely be in pot 2 with us. Barca and Bayern in pot 1.

Goes by this no? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient#UEFA_team_ranking

THats the ranking but Pot 1 will all be National Champions only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

So we'll have one of Bayern, Juventus , PSG, Benfica/Porto, Barcelona, PSV, FC Zenit?

Or have I got it completely wrong?

domrush wrote: »
    So we'll have one of Bayern, Juventus , PSG, Benfica/Porto, Barcelona, PSV, FC Zenit?

Or have I got it completely wrong?

Yes, I am pretty sure thats it if they are the top 7 leagues (excluding Premier League)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The only teams in pot 1 are the top 7 leagues, champions. The 8th spot goes to the winner but because Barca and Juve are both champions the 8th spot goes to the 8th nation according to UEFAs rankings, I think its Holland or Ukraine would get that so that would be a pot 1 of

Barca, Juve, PSG, Chelsea, Benfica, Zenit, Bayern and PSV or Dynamo Kiev

The rest of the pots are decided on the teams ranking so Pot 2 is likely to have teams like Arsenal, Real, Porto etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The only teams in pot 1 are the top 7 leagues, champions. The 8th spot goes to the winner but because Barca and Juve are both champions the 8th spot goes to the 8th nation according to UEFAs rankings, I think its Holland or Ukraine would get that so that would be a pot 1 of

The rest of the pots are decided on the teams ranking so Pot 2 is likely to have teams like Arsenal, Real, Porto etc etc

Makes it very interesting, not a big difference between being in pot 1 or pot 2. You could get a handy group or a real tough group by being in either pot. It's down to the luck of the draw.

It's great we don't have to qualify this year :) Hopefully we can get the summer spending done before the season starts.

jester77 wrote: »
    Makes it very interesting, not a big difference between being in pot 1 or pot 2. You could get a handy group or a real tough group by being in either pot. It's down to the luck of the draw.

It's great we don't have to qualify this year :) Hopefully we can get the summer spending done before the season starts.

If we can avoid Real and Atletico I'll be happy.

I'm not sure where Utd will come into it, assuming they win their qualifier they still have a good European ranking but I'm not sure do they go into pot 2 as per their co-effecient or do they go to pot 4 as they had to qualify.

I'll have to have a dig around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Wenger on @theowalcott: "He's shown he is back in good form. I played him up front because I believe he can do it."
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Guess there'll be no new striker coming so.

Yep. No strikers and there's your answer imo. He sees Giroud/Walcott/Welbeck as the front 3. I reckon this makes it likely we'll go for a winger, I'd have said Reus but he's a similar all action model to Sanchez and traditionally AW likes balance there.

Other thing to take is that if a move for a CM, as seems to be the case, is priority then it probably means Chamberlain's future is seen on the wing (which I agree with - he's quality out there and all he lacks is a more refined end product). Consequence is that maybe we actually won't sign a RW as he might think Chambo/Gnabry (expect a greater role from him next year) will do. That leaves us light in terms of covering Sanchez assuming Podolski goes so.... it'd lead you to believe that potentially a LW is in the offing and one he's been sweet on and is more in the technical Pires mould is... Julian Draxler!

So I'm going to take a punt and say that Walcott, Giroud, Welbeck, Chamberlain, Gnabry, Sanchez and Draxler will be the attacking options next year.

As for CM, I think its clear he doesn't fancy the Coq in there long term (badum tish!), so I expect us to sign in that area - we need a more mobile Arteta. Not sure if Vidal is that player but who knows? I'd have thought Schneiderlin fits the bill but AW rarely, Debuchy aside, signs from the smaller teams in the league.

Cech will be got if possible but I think he'll end up at PSG. Woj to complete a prodigal son comeback.

Another punt I'll make is that we'll be all talking about replacing Mertesacker next January and that Kos/Gabriel will be first choice by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Sounds way better.

We might get some tasty ties in the first round.

What's pot 2 then? Real, Atletico, Arsenal, City?, Utd?, Porto, Monaco, greeks?

gosplan wrote: »
    Sounds way better.

We might get some tasty ties in the first round.

What's pot 2 then? Real, Atletico, Arsenal, City?, Utd?, Porto, Monaco, greeks?

I dont think City are pot 2 yet. Theyve done nothing in Europe to boost their co-effecient but I suppose we'll see when UEFA publish the teams in the competition.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Yep. No strikers and there's your answer imo. He sees Giroud/Walcott/Welbeck as the front 3. I reckon this makes it likely we'll go for a winger, I'd have said Reus but he's a similar all action model to Sanchez and traditionally AW likes balance there.

Other thing to take is that if a move for a CM, as seems to be the case, is priority then it probably means Chamberlain's future is seen on the wing (which I agree with - he's quality out there and all he lacks is a more refined end product). Consequence is that maybe we actually won't sign a RW as he might think Chambo/Gnabry (expect a greater role from him next year) will do. That leaves us light in terms of covering Sanchez assuming Podolski goes so.... it'd lead you to believe that potentially a LW is in the offing and one he's been sweet on and is more in the technical Pires mould is... Julian Draxler!

So I'm going to take a punt and say that Walcott, Giroud, Welbeck, Chamberlain, Gnabry, Sanchez and Draxler will be the attacking options next year.

As for CM, I think its clear he doesn't fancy the Coq in there long term (badum tish!), so I expect us to sign in that area - we need a more mobile Arteta. Not sure if Vidal is that player but who knows? I'd have thought Schneiderlin fits the bill but AW rarely, Debuchy aside, signs from the smaller teams in the league.

Cech will be got if possible but I think he'll end up at PSG. Woj to complete a prodigal son comeback.

Another punt I'll make is that we'll be all talking about replacing Mertesacker next January and that Kos/Gabriel will be first choice by then.

Great post.

I think he'd move for a striker if a suitable one came up. Kind of like when we got Ozil.

The quality we have up front though means that you can't just decree that you're going to start the season with a new striker.

There's like what 10-20 strikers better than Giroud in football right now?

Well you'd defo say 10 - Cavaini, Ageuro, Costa, Ibra, Lewandowski etc etc.

But once you go beyond that, it's not really straightforward. You're talking about paying 30-40 million to ditch Giroud who's shown year on year improvement and is coming into his prime. Then for all of that you get maybe a marginal improvement.

If there's an argument to be had, like the one about Benteke, then that's not the player IMO.

If it's going to be a name we know, then the only one that fits the profile is Lacazette IMO. Young, fast and a good goalscoring record.

I haven't seen enough of him to comment though.

You might see a very young striker come in IMO but I'd be prepared to see no-one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

To be honest i doubt Wenger see's Walcott as a full time striker either , He's too easy to mark in my opinion

Come up against Chelsea and they throw Terry on Giroud and he's hopeless , if Mourinho see's Walcott up top on his own , He'll tell his defence to drop deep and mark the space that walcott uses , He's too one dimensional too me . I can still see us going for a striker.

Yes the only upgrade is maybe the top 10 or so strikers in the world ....But is that not what we should be aiming for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

To be honest i doubt Wenger see's Walcott as a full time striker either , He's too easy to mark in my opinion

Come up against Chelsea and they throw Terry on Giroud and he's hopeless , if Mourinho see's Walcott up top on his own , He'll tell his defence to drop deep and mark the space that walcott uses , He's too one dimensional too me . I can still see us going for a striker.

Yes the only upgrade is maybe the top 10 or so strikers in the world ....But is that not what we should be aiming for ?

Chelsea double marked Giroud such was his form and his threat up to that point. Hull and Swansea then did same. Big compliment to Giroud more than anything.

Agreed on Theo though....deep defences will cut out the space easily against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Chelsea double marked Giroud such was his form and his threat up to that point. Hull and Swansea then did same. Big compliment to Giroud more than anything.

Agreed on Theo though....deep defences will cut out the space easily against him.

WBA were deep for every goal of his hatrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I don't think he get's enough credit for his general movement, or his finishing, which if WBA is anything to go by, is back to pre-injury levels.

It's not all about the pace with Theo

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

All about that pace, 'bout that pace, no dribble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I know there's the thinking that a deep defence nullifies pace because you can't get in behind. But surely there's also a point to be made that pacy players are the only ones who can actually find space in a tightly condensed defence, provided they have good movement? Ox is brilliant at getting to the end line past his fullback in tight defences.

Not sure if Theo is the answer but hes only had 5 or 6 games up front, scored a hat trick in two :pac: I made the point before and got abused by Giroud didn't even score in his first 7/8 games up top, he was given a lot of time to settle into the role that Walcott will undoubtedly never get.

Small research: According to Whoscored.com:

Hes played 7 games as a striker, scored 7 goals. 6 of which were hat tricks though so worth noting he only scored in 3 of the 7 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

That's a fair point but they were also fecking Sh1te for every goal of his hat trick. I'd like to see Walcott given the chance for 7 or 8 games in a row like Adam suggested but I certainly wouldn't be happy If Wenger ignored the CF position this summer thinking that Giroud,Walcott,Welbeck will be good enough, because I don't think they will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think in our current system that doesn't work , You can't judge Walcott on an end of season friendly more or less with nothing of significance on the line.

If we played a 4-4-2 or something that allowed two up top i do think Walcott and Giroud would work great off each other

Mickeroo wrote: »
    All about that pace, 'bout that pace, no dribble.

funny enough, that was in my head when I typed that (no dribble though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

To be fair to Theo, none of the goals were typical ones you'd expect from him. They were goals a good poacher would get and that was a promising sign.

Yes but you can't get those players.

Our finances mean that if we have one at the club we can increase pay in line with top clubs and hang on to them.

But I don't think we could manage the 80million and 300k per week to get Ageuro or Suarez or whoever.

Chances at those players don't come along too often.

I think being realistic, you could say that the last real chance would have been Suarez.

Maybe on an outside chance, we could get Falcao because of the fall in his stock over the last year. Depends on how much of an impact how injury has had and whether Wenger thinks he could run it around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think Walcott's 2nd goal was the most promising. A quick flick over the oncoming tackle and then a poachers finish into the corner. That's what we need.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Alexis won the PFA Fans' Player of the Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I dont think we will sign a striker this Summer unless someone really elite becomes available like Benzema. I do think we will sign some attacker this summer. Its important to keep the attack fresh imo and someone like Fekir would fit the mould. Someone who doesnt expect to start every game and has the potential to develop hugely.

Saying that, Fekir want to stay in France another year to maximize his chances of making the France Euro 2016 team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

They may have been but the defending was hardly what ya could call committed. It's when the two come together that we may have problems.

I agree that the two on the field together makes us hardest to against. All options are open to us. I expect we will see that on Saturday for 20 mins at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The fact is we've got two very decent options in Theo and Giroud, and if Welbeck improves his finishing which I do think he will he could be very strong indeed.
    Wenger’s also promised game time to Akpomb to get him to extend his contract, and I'm sure Akpomb is looking at benik afobe scoring tonnes for wolves and straining at the bit for his chance.
    But if we're presented with the opportunity to sign a top level player like benzema we'd be wrong not to take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

jester77 wrote: »

All of the teams in Pot 2 will be difficult.

City, Utd and ourselves being in Pot 2 mean it is more likely Chelsea could get Real.

On the other hand, we could get PSV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I dont think City are pot 2 yet. Theyve done nothing in Europe to boost their co-effecient but I suppose we'll see when UEFA publish the teams in the competition.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/

here are the coefficients.

City are up to 17th.

Pot 1: Barca, Chelsea, Juve, Bayern, Benfica, PSG, Zenit, Dinamo Kiev (or PSV?)

Pot 2: Real, Athletico, Porto, Arsenal, United, Valencia, Bayer Leverkeusen, City

It seems I was wrong in my earlier post that Arsenal could get PSV, Netherlands are 9th. But then again UEFA contradict their own rankings:confused:

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2249233.html#next+seasons+seeds

By my reckoning 14 of that 16 are qualified already for the group stages. If Utd. and Valencia don't qualify, Shaktar Donetsk (if they qualify), Basle (if they qualify), Napoli (if they qualify) and Lyon are the next four in line to fill Pot 2. After that it gets more complicated to predict. See Annex A below:

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/23/57/51/2235751_DOWNLOAD.pdf

There are some dangers in Pot 3 and Pot 4 - Roma, the other German teams etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

it's ending in 13/14 you want. PSV are the 8th seed

if Man u, valencia & basel get to the groups, man city are in pot 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I know someone (I think Raf) is a big fan of Bacca in this thread. Ive never been really impressed by him but he has had a great game tonight. I still would say its very unlikely we'll sign him but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the premier league next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Platini just picked up the Europa League Cup like it was made of tin foil and paper! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

shano_88 wrote: »
    I know someone (I think Raf) is a big fan of Bacca in this thread. Ive never been really impressed by him but he has had a great game tonight. I still would say its very unlikely we'll sign him but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the premier league next season.

Yup massive fan of Bacca. Would love to see us move for him but think he would cost too much for his age now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Raf32 wrote: »
    Yup massive fan of Bacca. Would love to see us move for him but think he would cost too much for his age now.

Worth a few bob, Bacca few years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Cant see Bacca being cheap, now that Sevilla have CL.
    Could Bacca and Sanchez play in the same attack, they make similar style of runs, I guess they could, would be like the trinity of Barcelona, neymar,messi,suarez.

Bacca was crying his eyes out at the final whistle. Could be the final act of a Seville player??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

greendom wrote: »

"Every time someone takes the ball off me I feel like I’ve been stripped of my toy. When a player takes the ball off me I just want to win it back. That could work as a motivational tool for my teammates but I don’t think about that on the pitch."

We need a few more with this attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Just as a note

If anyone plans coming into the Mercantile on Saturday to watch the match get there early to get a good spot. Its open from about 11.30

Hopefully it will be as memorable as last year COYG !!

• Advertisement

Lots of click bait on twitter stating that we are signing Vidal, Cech and bidding for both Benzema and Jackson Martinez.

All just idle gossip, but that would be just lovely!!! Not mad about Benzema mind you, he's not my cuppa tea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

emmetlego wrote: »
    Lots of click bait on twitter stating that we are signing Vidal, Cech and bidding for both Benzema and Jackson Martinez.

All just idle gossip, but that would be just lovely!!! Not mad about Benzema mind you, he's not my cuppa tea!

What don't you like about benzema? I think he has it all really

emmetlego wrote: »

much as I rate Giroud, Benzema would be a definite upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A fit Benzema would be.....but he frequently isnt. He's a bit of a Rooney in that regard. Fitness isnt his thing. He clearly likes his food.

Personally, I wouldnt take him. There are better options out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Interesting to see Podolski was at the photoshoot for the new Inter Milan 2015/16 kit launch. Unusual for a loan player to be present at such... unless he was going to be made permanent perhaps?

https://instagram.com/p/3Lif2tuJ3d/?taken-by=poldi_official

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement