Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

bad2dabone wrote: »
    He's got another year left on his deal. He could still be sold or loaned

Flamini has never been sold. No club has ever paid a transfer fee for him. He has always moved free transfer

weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

According to this http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9880434/lionel-messi-eden-hazard-and-raheem-sterling-named-among-worlds-most-valuable-players-in-study Cavani is only worth £30million.
    He would without a doubt be a player that would bang in goals for us up top, the edge that we need. I would have thought he would be worth about 40-50mil.
    When you look at City and Chelsea who we will be competing with next year theres a significant gap in goals by strikers between us and them.

Chelsea:
    Costa - 20
    Remy - 7
    Drogba - 4
    Total = 31

City:
    Aguero - 26
    Bony - 2
    Dzeko - 4
    Jovetic - 5
    Total = 37

Arsenal:
    Giroud - 14
    Welbeck - 4
    Walcott - 5
    Total = 23

If Walcott could fit the bill up top that would be great. It's a pity we didn't get to see more of him up there this season, so it's hard to judge. Otherwise we need a top class man. Were not going to be challenging for the title and progressing further in the UCL, with Giroud and Welbeck as our main strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ronan14 wrote: »
    According to this http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9880434/lionel-messi-eden-hazard-and-raheem-sterling-named-among-worlds-most-valuable-players-in-study Cavani is only worth £30million.
    He would without a doubt be a player that would bang in goals for us up top, the edge that we need. I would have thought he would be worth about 40-50mil.
    When you look at City and Chelsea who we will be competing with next year theres a significant gap in goals by strikers between us and them.

Chelsea:
    Costa - 20
    Remy - 7
    Drogba - 4
    Total = 31

City:
    Aguero - 26
    Bony - 2
    Dzeko - 4
    Jovetic - 5
    Total = 37

Arsenal:
    Giroud - 14
    Welbeck - 4
    Walcott - 5
    Total = 23

If Walcott could fit the bill up top that would be great. It's a pity we didn't get to see more of him up there this season, so it's hard to judge. Otherwise we need a top class man. Were not going to be challenging for the title and progressing further in the UCL, with Giroud and Welbeck as our main strikers.
    Easy to manipulate those figures when you leave out our top scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

bad2dabone wrote: »
    He's got another year left on his deal. He could still be sold or loaned

Was it not 2 years with an option of a 3rd? Who had the option Flamini or Arsenal?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Easy to manipulate those figures when you leave out our top scorer.

Im talking about goals from strikers, Sanchez plays midfield, I also left out Hazard for Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

https://vimeo.com/130081944

Great video of Ozils season. Hes some player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Im talking about goals from strikers, Sanchez plays midfield, I also left out Hazard for Chelsea.

And you also left out that Giroud was out for 3 months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Jesus.

6. Raheem Sterling (Liverpool) £60m

11. Luis Suarez (Barcelona) £48.2m

Yeah, no thanks to that "study".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

When you look at City and Chelsea who we will be competing with next year theres a significant gap in goals by strikers between us and them

You reckon you won't be competing with United next season?

I also rate Giroud and Walcott quite highly. Walcott has the finishing ability to excel in the role and Giroud got a good return after his injury. If he can stay fit he'll be one of the best fits for the players around him imo.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Chelsea:
    Costa - 20
    Remy - 7
    Drogba - 4
    Total = 31

City:
    Aguero - 26
    Bony - 2
    Dzeko - 4
    Jovetic - 5
    Total = 37

Arsenal:
    Giroud - 14
    Welbeck - 4
    Walcott - 5
    Total = 23

The gap doesn't look significant at all from those figures imo, certainly not between us and Chelsea at any rate. Giroud was absent for 3 months and if you include all competitions only scored 2 less goals than Costa. Aguero is on another level alright but it's pretty even between us and Chelsea up front and neither team had particularly prolific back up strikers, if Walcott plays regularly he'll probably outscore any of the other teams' players bar Aguero and Costa.

Liam O wrote: »
    You reckon you won't be competing with United next season?

He's surely just talking about closing the gap on the teams who finished above us in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Fooker wrote: »
    Was it not 2 years with an option of a 3rd? Who had the option Flamini or Arsenal?

I think it was just a flat 3yr deal.

Basically i'm just trying to say our goals from our strikers are lower than the teams above us, and I think an addition like Cavani would make a massive difference. I know Giroud was injured but so was Costa and Aguero, albeit for not as long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Basically i'm just trying to say our goals from our strikers are lower than the teams above us, and I think an addition like Cavani would make a massive difference. I know Giroud was injured but so was Costa and Aguero, albeit for not as long.

Personally, I don't think it matters who scores the goals as long as they get scored. On that tally we were a fair few short of City, but the same gap ahead of United and more or less on a par with Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Agree, but Walcott is easily capable of 20+ epl goals. Welbeck will never get that, 15 tops.

Aguero is one of the best in the world, Cavani isnt at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

shano_88 wrote: »
    https://vimeo.com/130081944

Great video of Ozils season. Hes some player.

What a baller Ozil is, different gravy. Huge credit to the manager to get him. Cesc who?

He will only get better next season after a decent rest and pre-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    What a baller Ozil is, different gravy. Huge credit to the manager to get him. Cesc who?

He will only get better next season after a decent rest and pre-season.

Ability and style he is the closest thing to DB10 we'll see at Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Just seen he same on bbc. Could we get a transfer ban!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

jonny666 wrote: »
    Just seen he same on bbc. Could we get a transfer ban!!

A nice fine i would imagine.

In May 2014, Sunderland were fined £100,000 and warned over their future conduct after admitting breaching the regulations.

Brighton have also fallen foul of the regulations and were fined £90,000 in February this year

• Advertisement

Does anyone know the details of the Sunderland and Brighton breaches ? When we find out what we're supposed to have done wrong it would be good to put it into context

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah it's extremely vague at the moment, could be anything really. Suppose we will find out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

Watching Croatia Italy and its hilarious Italy scored but was disallowed for offside . A load of Italians ran to linesman complaining and Croatia went down other end and scored ðŸ˜႒

Not Arsenal related I know

Don't think Italian goal should have been disallowed either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Loads of reports tinight that we will sign cech next week

That's surely the end of secz

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

If we sign Cech, I will cry with happiness. Even if he's not exactly what he was, he's still an immense upgrade and currently only DDG and Courtois are better than him in the PL.

However, although he has done nothing much wrong, I hope it'd be the end of Ospina rather than Szcz. Szczesny has immense potential and maybe learning from Cech could help to bring it out on the field, whereas I think Ospina will always be what he is now; solid enough, but ultimately not up to it for a club with PL/CL aspirations. Woj could well be (I think he definitely will be), just needs to sort his headcase tendencies out; who better to learn from than a man who wears a helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Jackson Martinez has opted for AC Milan, maybe we were never in for him who knows

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Jackson Martinez has opted for AC Milan, maybe we were never in for him who knows

I've no real problem with that. not sure how much of an upgrade on giroud he might be
    Or even if he is

In my opinion, we need a 30 a year striker. Giroud to his credit admirably scored 20 considering his injury but he does need to get into the box a bit quicker and i think his heading needs to improve. For his missed chances he doesnt seem to glance the ball goalwards

Kike Marin the Spanish journalist who says we are close to agreeing terms with Cech has also tweeted that Arsenal will attempt to get Benzema if Madrid get Aguero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd be happy with cech and benzema even without a dm

I'd be happy with cech and benzema even without a dm

Yeah but if we added the midfielder to those two signings we'd be title contenders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Don't believe that Benzema rumour for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Its hard to see Real selling Benzema but them and Barca can be quite nutty about selling it seems sometimes that they are happy to bring in a big name at the expense of another leaving just to keep the fans happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

salmocab wrote: »
    Its hard to see Real selling Benzema but them and Barca can be quite nutty about selling it seems sometimes that they are happy to bring in a big name at the expense of another leaving just to keep the fans happy.

It's not that,

It's the idea that some Spanish journalist is tweeting what he knows about Wenger's plans IF Madrid get Ageuro.

I don't remember Le Boss being particularly chatty about his transfer plans before.

It's bollocks though. City have no use for money and would lose their most effective player (and only suitable CF having pumped 250 million into that 1 position) by a mile. So this journo is telling everyone he had the inside track in what will happen if blah blah blah.

It's made up. 100% made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Wenger is a big fan of Benzema. I dont see him being available this summer but If he was we would be in for him Id imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Just wondering what the story is with the Wilshere to Man City stories.

It's unusual for Arsenal players to do transfer speculation interviews, or comment on it, because the club normally keeps a lid on that - even when players are unhappy. And, generally, once a player is explaining the conditions under which they're happy to stay, it's not a great sign.

I honestly think there might be a problem that he feels he should be starting every week in the middle once he's fit and while he's a very talented player, he's currently not better for the team than Cazorla or Ozil as CM or AM.

If he's looking for a long-term role, I think he needs to look at Santi or even someone like Marco Verratti. I'm just not sure he has the maturity to realise that what's best for the team would be best for him, or if he has the positional discipline to play that deeper role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Diaby most likely gone and even if we do retain him we can't depend on him at all.
    Rosicky well down the pecking order.
    Arteta not 100% certain to be around and even if he is retained he's now a backup.
    Flamini a back up at best now.

Taking all that into account, unless we sign another midfielder, I'd be astonished if Wilshere was let go. He'll get plenty of game time if he stays fit, and if one of Ramsey or Cazorla loses form or picks up an injury that's Wilshere back as a starter.

Only reason I'd imagine we sell is if City put in a crazy bid, but we've had two excellent summers in the transfer market, I sincerely hope the days of selling big name players for big bucks are in the past and I'd be very disheartened if we sold Jack to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Agreed. Plus Ramsey can be switched to the wing and jack put in the middle anytime injuries or suspensions dictate.
    Time to hold on to our prized possessions. No need anymore to keep selling when the likes of City call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Safe to assume we weren't. Nobody would choose Milan over Arsenal right now

I agree that there's no way Arsenal will want to sell him - I'm just surprised that the story has come up twice now after he's spoken about how he wants to stay as long as he feels wanted by the club.

Here's the interview from May: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3094431/Jack-Wilshere-hurt-Arsenal-wanted-sell-Arsene-Wenger-not-spoken-future.html

The article says there was speculation he'd be sold, and that there was talk about City being interested, but that was the first time I think I had ever heard his name being mentioned anywhere in terms of a transfer and he was the one talking about it!!

I'd just be a little worried that he's pushing for something, whether it's a new contract, to start or be sold. Which I think would be crazy. I don't think he'll play any more at City than he would at Arsenal and there'll be plenty of games for him next season, even if it means sitting on the bench for a bit in August or September.

Barring any new arrivals and the decision between theo/giroud, the first team is going to be the team that finished the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

so any news on summer signings ? been upto my eyes havent heard much only , vidal , j.martinez , benzema and cech :) anymore on these :)

oh and does anyone else think francis coquelin is under-rated !? iv been looking over video and clips of him and his performances have been immense for us , what a player of importance he has become to us !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sacksian wrote: »
    I agree that there's no way Arsenal will want to sell him - I'm just surprised that the story has come up twice now after he's spoken about how he wants to stay as long as he feels wanted by the club.

Here's the interview from May: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3094431/Jack-Wilshere-hurt-Arsenal-wanted-sell-Arsene-Wenger-not-spoken-future.html

The article says there was speculation he'd be sold, and that there was talk about City being interested, but that was the first time I think I had ever heard his name being mentioned anywhere in terms of a transfer and he was the one talking about it!!

I'd just be a little worried that he's pushing for something, whether it's a new contract, to start or be sold. Which I think would be crazy. I don't think he'll play any more at City than he would at Arsenal and there'll be plenty of games for him next season, even if it means sitting on the bench for a bit in August or September.

Barring any new arrivals and the decision between theo/giroud, the first team is going to be the team that finished the season.

He was asked a question in an interview. How is that pushing for a transfer away,?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Came across this 8 minute clip of a Brady in the 79 cup final. The Brady Final.

This is the game that got me hooked.

I was 8 and shouting for arsenal for a year or two at that point. But this game is the one that really did it for me. Brady, stapo and o'leary...all legends, but wasn't Brady world class...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yYgPgy1IAbg

COYG!!!

Quazzie wrote: »
    He was asked a question in an interview. How is that pushing for a transfer away,?

I don't think he's necessarily pushing for a transfer away; I said I'd be a little worried that he's pushing for something. The Guardian piece from the other day suggested he wanted a new contract so, if anything at all, it could be that:
    Despite having three years to run on his current contract the 23-year-old is understood to be keen to open negotiations over a new deal, including a pay rise to secure parity with players such as his England team-mate Theo Walcott.

Players talking about how they want to feel wanted (or respected in the case of Yaya) in response to transfer speculation, or around contract negotiations, always makes me a little suspicious - especially when it seems there's very little speculation beyond the player's own comments.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll know more by the end of the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Parity with Walcott? I don't think he's done enough yet for that!

I can imagine it's difficult to work out how much you pay players like Jack and Theo when their contracts are up for renewal.

Bags of ability and potential, home-grown and would be attractive to a lot of other clubs if they were available, so they're certainly valuable but they're not guaranteed starters, when everyone is fit.

And even though they're injured more than most, they're probably in a pretty strong bargaining position.

L'prof wrote: »
    Parity with Walcott? I don't think he's done enough yet for that!

Far from it.

Next year is make or break for him with Arsenal I think. Im still 50/50 on if he is goina fulfill that potential.

If he goes to City he will end up at Everton or someone similar in a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Two wonder strikes from Wilshere (and a late Rooney winner) gave England a 2-3 win in Slovenia tonight! Well done Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Don't suppose anyone has any links to Jacks goals? They sound quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Don't suppose anyone has any links to Jacks goals? They sound quality.

Goal 1 - http://streamable.com/oxbw
    Goal 2 - http://streamable.com/3w7m

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement