Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So who's gonna sign to petition to get Mickeroo to start all future threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He said in the interview after he did but we conceded early and had to change our game plan.

Don't really agree with him, if you concede early you can still keep your shape and wait for a chance to come to get back in the game, instead of going gung ho forward.

Agree. I don't remember it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

See what happens when i dont jinx a thread :pac:

Well done Gooners, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Are those 2 related in some way? :P

Would that it were! :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

jester77 wrote: »
    Nice win. Just need to keep it going.

Didn't see the game, how was Ramsey? Getting very conflicting feedback between here and the match thread.

Kept going till he couldnt run no more but I thought he should have been taken off around the 65 or 70 mark to introduce fresh legs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Full credit to Wenger, a lot of us questioned whether he could set up a team to play like that and he showed he could.

What a confidence booster for the team.

Thought Rosicky was brilliant when he came on and I would start him instead of Ramsey in our next tought away game at Spurs.

Rosicky, Santi and Coq should be our base now away from home, totally control possession with them.

+1, he was immense when he came on, him and Santi are brilliant together...

GavRedKing wrote: »
    See what happens when i dont jinx a thread :pac:

Well done Gooners, well done.

You're welcome. Win the league now

Rosicky is a little maestro

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    A great win for the Gooners. It's getting very congested this year for the number 4 slot. Nobody can afford to slip up.

We'll be third

As good as that was today lads it's only 3 points.
    We have to do it to Chelsea, Pool and United too but first we have to beat the Spuds. Two weeks to our next game at home to Villa and then away at WHL.
    We should have nearly everyone fit for that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Giroud loving the Coq

16124930849_ca1d5264c0_k.jpg

Also includes a bit of Ramsey/Sanchez pre make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

As good as that was today lads it's only 3 points.
    We have to do it to Chelsea, Pool and United too but first we have to beat the Spuds. Two weeks to our next game at home to Villa and then away at WHL.
    We should have nearly everyone fit for that :D

Watch them all break down in training now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

What a great feeling this is.

Satisfaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

efb wrote: »
    You're welcome. Win the league now

Da fuq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Good win today, and Wenger with an almost unWenger-like display by setting his team up appropriately to be more efficient and be most effective with the lowest possession since Opta started doing stats.

I thought at the Ox substitution, should've been for Ramsey instead but perhaps Wenger wanted to exhaust him intentionally to up his fitness overall. Whilst not 100% you could tell that Ramsey gave everything he had.

3 points in the bag, but more importantly, perhaps Wenger has found a "new" way to play, and realises that who we play actually should affect how we play. Time will tell, but tonight is a good one, and Wenger deserves his glass of Vino on the trainride back down to London.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Da fuq.

I actually agree. It aint gonna be us, there aint gonna be invincibles this year, it's looking like it's gonna be Chelsea, so we might aswell wish them luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Google skee-lo for godsake man:p

very obscure reference but great song :)

Looks like someone hit the threadmill to impress Sanchez eh Ox...

335598.jpg

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Giroud loving the Coq

16124930849_ca1d5264c0_k.jpg

Also includes a bit of Ramsey/Sanchez pre make out.

I wish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

In fairness to Wenger, we started trying that 4-1-4-1 at the beginning of the season.

It just didn't work because everyone got injured.

While we're all in love with him again, I'm just gonna mention that he is always trying to put things right, just not at the pace that people like.

This summer he introduced a new formation to try and fix the problems of last year and bought Sanchez, Debuchy, Chambers, Opsina to fix the biggest problems he saw in the squad.

Of course, he get's labelled a stubborn old codger because he didn't bring back Cesc, buy a world class DMF and buy a world class CB.

He does do a lot though.

efb wrote: »
    Looks like someone hit the threadmill to impress Sanchez eh Ox...

Off topic, I still laugh every time someone over here calls a treadmill a threadmill....would love to meet the man who started this craze!

Basil3 wrote: »
    Off topic, I still laugh every time someone over here calls a treadmill a threadmill....would love to meet the man who started this craze!

He has it sewn up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Lets talk about coquelin.

Credit to him, talk about seizing your opportunity.
    He can tide us over till the summer window, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

bad2dabone wrote: »

If we play with that much tactical awareness and discipline Ive no doubt Coquelin can tide us over.
    The question is can we maintain the discipline keeping our shape when other teams have possession.

not going to dwell on it too much, enjoy the victory the analysis can begin after the next game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sanchez 18 (12)
    Welbeck 7 (4)
    Giroud 7 (6)
    Ramsey 6 (3)
    Cazorla 6 (5)
    Podolski 3(0)
    Ox 2(1)
    Koscielny 2 (2)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Wilshere 1(1)
    Ozil 1(1)
    Chambers 1 (1)
    Debuchy 1 (1)
    Arteta 1 (0)
    Sanogo 1(0)
    Rosicky 1(1)
    Mertersacker 1 (0)

Goals scored (League goals in brackets)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If we play with that much tactical awareness and discipline Ive no doubt Coquelin can tide us over.
    The question is can we maintain the discipline keeping our shape when other teams have possession.

not going to dwell on it too much, enjoy the victory the analysis can begin after the next game .

Surely today was the ultimate test of that, City had 65% possession and are up there as the best passing team in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So we were a late headed equaliser in the home fixture away from getting 6 pts against champions Man City.

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    So we were a late headed equaliser in the home fixture away from getting 6 pts against champions Man City.

Just saying.

And Pool, it's such a fine line

Soups123 wrote: »
    And Pool, it's such a fine line

Can't wait to get them in the Emirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

With a fully fit midfield to select from would Coquelin still make peoples first choice DMF?? Enjoyed his performance today, seriously composed in some tricky situations, and always seemed to find the right outlet. Good read in the Guardian about Le Coq http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/18/francis-coquelin-arsenal-masterclass-arsene-wenger-manchester-city?CMP=share_btn_tw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

bad2dabone wrote: »

And then some.

I don't pretend to be a wise sage when it comes to all things association football, but I have seen something in this fella that I truly love. Yes, he was very close to a leg breaker tackle a couple of games ago, and I'm sure he was admonished for this on the training ground. But he has shown the steely desire, the grit, the testicular fortitude and even the ability to tackle but most importantly, he reads the game very well, and he knows when and where to move. A natural… I will qualify this by saying, "SO FAR" and obviously today, was his greatest test, which he passed, with flying colours.

More of the same please. And if it continues, no need for a DMF signing, with Arteta as back up, and this new kid waiting in the wings for the future.

Love this feeling!

tsoparno wrote: »
    With a fully fit midfield to select from would Coquelin still make peoples first choice DMF?? Enjoyed his performance today, seriously composed in some tricky situations, and always seemed to find the right outlet. Good read in the Guardian about Le Coq http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/18/francis-coquelin-arsenal-masterclass-arsene-wenger-manchester-city?CMP=share_btn_tw

It's a tricky one.

A: you want the best players in the world in your team and should buy them if you don't have them

B: you want a team where you play on merit

I personally feel that it's up to Coq to show us that we need to replace him. So far all he's done is show us that DMF isn't actually a problem.

Quazzie wrote: »
    3 points in the bag, but more importantly, perhaps Wenger has found a "new" way to play, and realises that who we play actually should affect how we play. Time will tell, but tonight is a good one, and Wenger deserves his glass of Vino on the trainride back down to London.
    It happened before against Barcelona and a couple of other games in the last couple of years. It's not new, he just seems to never want to use it.
    gosplan wrote: »
    In fairness to Wenger, we started trying that 4-1-4-1 at the beginning of the season.

It just didn't work because everyone got injured.

While we're all in love with him again, I'm just gonna mention that he is always trying to put things right, just not at the pace that people like.

This summer he introduced a new formation to try and fix the problems of last year and bought Sanchez, Debuchy, Chambers, Opsina to fix the biggest problems he saw in the squad.

Of course, he get's labelled a stubborn old codger because he didn't bring back Cesc, buy a world class DMF and buy a world class CB.

He does do a lot though.
    Was that 4-1-4-1 today?
    And did we have many more players available than before? Playing Coq as the 1 (debatable) isn't exactly what anyone would say was needed to make 4-1-4-1 work. Was more of a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 with how deep the "wingers" were. There was an awful lot more pressing than usual as well which is essential. And I know I'll get hammered for this bit but there's been times the pressing hasn't worked and City at their best would be a time it would be less likely to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

All I can say is fcuk the lot of ye who were here the last night lambasting Wenger and the team. Don't celebrate today because he don't deserve to partake in the celebrations with the Arsenal brethren. Ye know who ye are. Everyone one else, waheeeeey :)

Viva L'Arsene. Up the Arsenal, down the pints. Fcuk the plastic support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

DVDM93 wrote: »
    All I can say is fcuk the lot of ye who were here the last night lambasting Wenger and the team. Don't celebrate today because he don't deserve to partake in the celebrations with the Arsenal brethren. Ye know who ye are. Everyone one else, waheeeeey :)

Its Arsenal fc not Arsene fc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

What a pathetic post

Raf32 wrote: »
    Its Arsenal fc not Arsene fc

I was gonna put up my own response but essentially I can't say it better than this.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

See this is what is absolutely wrong with the wengerites.
    We support Arsenal.
    We want the best for Arsenal.
    We believe that it would be best for Arsenal if Arsene moved on.
    We appreciate what he did for the club but the club us more important than him.

I celebrated today.
    I was genuinely delighted for Wenger today.
    But I still want him gone.

Nothing has changed.

It happened before against Barcelona and a couple of other games in the last couple of years. It's not new, he just seems to never want to use it.

Was that 4-1-4-1 today?
    And did we have many more players available than before? Playing Coq as the 1 (debatable) isn't exactly what anyone would say was needed to make 4-1-4-1 work. Was more of a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 with how deep the "wingers" were. There was an awful lot more pressing than usual as well which is essential. And I know I'll get hammered for this bit but there's been times the pressing hasn't worked and City at their best would be a time it would be less likely to work.

Yeah it was 4-1-4-1.

Not sure what the difference was. The energy from Coq and two rediculously physical wingers made it work a bit I guess. Plus we're used to it.

Probably shouldn't overlook the fact that Ox and Sanchez are quite happy to chase full backs up and down the wings and get in foot races. Maybe a converted CMF like Wilshire or Caz treats the position differently.

Also early in the season it would have been Arteta and Ozil for Coq and Ox. Man Coq and Ox even sound so much meaner!!

I also think Giroud does something amazing for us I can't quite pinpoint cause I don't know enough.

Anyone else think we always just seem to hold our shape a bit better when he plays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Was that 4-1-4-1 today?

We didn't press City much at all today, we let them have it and put our energy into tracking runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Yeah it was 4-1-4-1.

Not sure what the difference was. The energy from Coq and two rediculously physical wingers made it work a bit I guess. Plus we're used to it.

Probably shouldn't overlook the fact that Ox and Sanchez are quite happy to chase full backs up and down the wings and get in foot races. Maybe a converted CMF like Wilshire or Caz treats the position differently.

Also early in the season it would have been Arteta and Ozil for Coq and Ox. Man Coq and Ox even sound so much meaner!!

I also think Giroud does something amazing for us I can't quite pinpoint cause I don't know enough.

Anyone else think we always just seem to hold our shape a bit better when he plays?

You have hit so many nails on the head.

Giroud offers a lot more than scoring. His hold up play, his aggression, his defensive heading ability, and his ability to bring midfield into play. I actually think he is very under rated.

Then you have Sanchez and Ox working all game tracking back and harrying.

And Coq has been a revelation. Still think we need an upgrade but he has done far better than flamini. Has been very disciplined in holding his position.offered protection to mert but mert has benefited from Kos coming back. Absolutely immense and Kos should actually be captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I don't see the system we played today working against the lower level teams.
    Pretty much all of Citys play came from crosses since we were forcing them out wide.

If we try that against a team who have a big tall forward then we might be in a bit of trouble.

With that being said the way the team worked as a unit was very good to see.

The clip on MOTD of Coq telling everyone to keep their head in the game was one of the best moments of the day.

Edit: it was while they were celebrating the first goal, I think.

Pudders wrote: »
    See this is what is absolutely wrong with the wengerites.

No that's what was wrong with DVDM93.

Stop adding to the us vrs them stuff.

As regards the result, one swallow doesn't make summer.

Still I have heard Wenger called tactically clueless a lot here.

It does appear that while people were giving out about the 'tippy tappy dominate posession and get nowhere' approach, he was changing it to a 'concede posession and counter' tactic.

It would be nice if this were noted the next time we lose a game and he's called clueless.

And it's clear that there's a link between Sanchez, a dynamic player who doesn't suit a posession game, and this new way of playing. The guy has a plan. Sometimes we just can't see it.

No time for Wenger in/out today, lads.

Come on, we're all digging the best day in ages!!

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I don't see the system we played today working against the lower level teams.
    Pretty much all of Citys play came from crosses since we were forcing them out wide.

If we try that against a team who have a big tall forward then we might be in a bit of trouble.

With that being said the way the team worked as a unit was very good to see.

Ozil and Walcott in and back to 4-3-3.

Ozil and Walcott in and back to 4-3-3.

And that looks sooo tasty too!

Can't wait for the next game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    And that looks sooo tasty too!

Can't wait for the next game.

Next game is the cup, we should make changes, the Ox, Sanchez and Cazorla have played a lot of games and could do with a rest against Brighton.

Something like:

Martinez
    Bellerin-Chambers-Hayden-Gibbs
    Flamini-Rosicky-Ramsey
    Ozil-Welbeck-Walcott

Bellerin needs games for experience, Ramsey needs games for fitness, ditto Ozil and Walcott. Assume Welbeck is fit. Hayden needs a game if we don't find a centre-half and need him later in the season.

Put Giroud, Kos, Akpom, Campbell, Scz, Monreal, Sanchez/Cazorla (only to be used in case of emergency) on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Off the game for a moment, how was Henry as a pundit on sky? Didn't see any of it.. It's all here, I'll watch it later

http://www.footballorgin.com/2015/01/tv-show-ford-super-sunday-thierry-henry.html?m=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Didn't see any of the game...devastated as it seems our biggest performance in years and didn't get to bask in it live! Absolutely delighted....buzzing today and feels like such a monkey off our backs!

I am probably one of the overly patient ones on this site and like to see lads get a chance, etc. I do however have huge long term reservations about Coquelin. He has been fantastic no question! But does anyone else think there is a small bit of the Flamini about him from last year?? As in he gets his chance again. ..is psyched to the last....adrenaline rushing and puts in some super performances? Remember last year in september even pundits were praising the Flamini signing. The problem is high class consistency. Can he do it? I really hope he can but we still need a summer signing there in my opinion.

Finally...while I am a big Wenger fan...this pitting us into boxes against each other is wrong. Ridiculous comment that anyone that doesn't back Wenger shouldn't celebrate. It is Arsenal FC. And ya know what there are many days Wenger got his tactics wrong and we won...and there are many days he got his tactics right and we lost. Yes that can happen. Individual mistakes, etc. So lets not go overboard either way!

COYG!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement