Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea for feeding birds during winter?.

• 16-01-2015 12:31pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, hope i haven't missed a thread addressing this.. Basically i have leftover oil/fat from cooking things on the grill, is this ok to leave out for birds, and any suggestion how i'd go about it?.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

throw some seeds and nuts in and make fat balls. you can hang them off trees or stick them in feeders

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thank you, my ignorance on this subject is terrible, much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Put some oats (porridge), cooked rice, breadcrumbs, seeds of any type (I use pumpkin/sesame/whatever I have in the cupboard, nuts (not salted) - into a little yogurt pot. Add your fat/drippings, mix up quickly. This is the tricky bit - put a bit of string looped thru the mix, leaving two ends dangling out over edges.When it hardens, cut the yogurt pot off, and you have a nice little shape to hang from a branch/wherever! I used to have a life :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/helpingbirds/feeding/whatfood/

Fat from cooking is bad for birds. The problem with cooked fat from roasting tins and dishes is that the meat juices have blended with the fat and when allowed to set, this consistency makes it prone to smearing, not good for birds' feathers. It is a breeding ground for bacteria, so potentially bad for birds' health. Salt levels depend on what meat is used and if any salt is added during cooking.

Lard and beef suet on their own are fine as they re-solidify after warming and as they are pure fat, it is not as suitable for bacteria to breed on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'll have a read boomerang, see if there's anyway to make it useable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/387868-top-10-bird-feeding-tips-this-winter
    Some more tips here.

If you put out food on the ground or on hanging feeders make sure that it is in the open. If there is long grass, bushes on the ground a cat could ambush the birds.

Advertisement