Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

02 CBR600F Cam Chain Tensioner

• 16-01-2015 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Has anyone ever fitted one of these?

Cheers

Lenn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I have not personally but I remember watching a few youtube videos about cam chains a while back. Anything specific you wanted to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Hi Richard,

I was just wondering if you have to set the engine to TDC on cylinder 1 before doing the tensioner replacement.

I have heard different opinions on the matter

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

differing opinions on which cylinder, or setting TDC at all?

if you dont set it at all, theres a danger that valve spring return pressure on the cam lobes can make the cam turn. Potentially making the cam chain hop a tooth once the tensioner is removed. Also, if you've not set TDC, you mightnt immediately spot the resulting misalignment - as there are usually alignment marks on the crankcase/camgears specific to TDC

not saying it cant be done at all - just do it the safest and most controlled way possible whichever you go with, as damage in there gets very costly, pretty quickly

Hi Wossack,

Opinions on setting TDC at all, Some say you have to, some say you don't have to.

Cheers for the input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I dont know the specifics for the cbr, but there might be alright.

Depending on the access, you might be able to tension the chain with a ziptie, fitted so as to squeeze the two long chain lengths together - if you follow. I think I did that for my 675

Or access with the actual cam cover removed (so from above), you can often wedge the chain guide with a piece of wood

You're just trying to take up any slack that would be introduced once the tensioner is taken out of the equation.

• Advertisement

I was really just hoping I could do it without taking the cam cover off but it's just not worth the risk, I've got a Haynes manual so I'm just gonna follow that, I'm a qualified car mechanic so I should be fine!

Cheers for the info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

I changed mine a year or 2 ago and didn't set the TDC. No need to remove the cam cover either. Didn't have any issues. I suppose what you don't want to do is turn over the engine with the tensioner removed. The biggest problem I had was access to one of the bolts.

Yeah they're awkward to get to alright, the Haynes manual says to set the timing so I'm just gonna follow that.

It's a lot to risk for the sake of half an hour of work

Yeah they're awkward to get to alright, the Haynes manual says to set the timing so I'm just gonna follow that.

It's a lot to risk for the sake of half an hour of work

Can you post a link to the haynes manual

It's a hard copy that I bought, I think you can download them too

• Advertisement

It's a hard copy that I bought, I think you can download them too

Thanks Lenn. There are a few different haynes manuals. I was just wondering which is the best for bike maintenance

Thanks Lenn. There are a few different haynes manuals. I was just wondering which is the best for bike maintenance

You buy them specific to your bike, halfords have a huge range of them

I replaced the tensioner yesterday, fairly easy job, good bit of stripping to get to it.

The engine is nice and quiet again, I would advise anyone replacing theirs to take the time to do it right. Set up the timing before removing the old tensioner.

Those valve springs are strong and could easily make the chain jump a tooth or two if the engine is in the wrong position

Advertisement