Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muse, Am I missing something?

Options
  • 16-01-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭

Just watched a few minutes of Muse live in Rome on Sky Arts 1 and thought the music is not my cup of tea. I've just never been able to listen to them.

I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan and I gather similarly to PJ they have a bit of a cult following. A French friend of mine loves them and travels around the world to see them. Am I right in saying they are big outside of Ireland and the UK and not so much here? Should I listen to a bit more or are they just not my cup of tea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Each to their own.

Music is very subjective, no point in starting arguments about a band being good or bad. Someone might thing Muse are great and Pearl Jam crap, but what does that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

NIMAN wrote: »
    Each to their own.

Music is very subjective, no point in starting arguments about a band being good or bad. Someone might thing Muse are great and Pearl Jam crap, but what does that matter?

I was about to reply to you saying "where did I start an argument?" but the last line of my post does antagonise so I've edited it.

I am genuinely interested in the appearance that they are more popular abroad than closer to home. It a bit like David Grey here or the script in the states before getting big back home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

It all goes downhill after absolution,which is why I dont bother with their live stuff or gigs anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Muse were good enough around the time of Origin of Symmetry but I can't stand their more recent stuff. I guess that's what happens when bands have too much money and nobody to tell them "no".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Dont rate them at all, went to see them in the o2 to see what the fuss was about, still don't rate them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Like some of their 'hits' but not mad on most of their album tracks.

I do remember reading a few years back that they were "the best live band in the world".

Again, this is all a matter of opinion of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Their "Knights of Cydonia" track is class.

Not into their new stuff but they have ten or eleven tracks i really like from earlier albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I am a huge fan of their earlier stuff but they have evolved too much for my tastes now though so I wouldn't bother going to see them live now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah they really disappeared up their own arses with the last album. Like Coldplay. They need to go back to basics. Everything up to Supermassive was really great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

There music is over produced garbage nowadays, they need to strip it down. Bellamy is trying to replicate then as a modern day Queen. Great musicians, equally fantastic live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Could never see the fuss either. I've listened to a couple of albums over the years and while I can appreciate the musicianship the songs just bore me rigid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Chimera88

Have to admit I could never see the fuss until I saw them live, then all of a sudden it made sense, they're a great live band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Musical taste is like peoples taste in food, some hate what others love and vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Personally, I only got into Showbiz. Also a big PJ fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

They're supposedly making a hard rock album at the moment. They are finished their original WB record contract now so might feel free to take a more rockier direction than of late.

The Live in Rome dvd was bad to look at as they took out of the decent rock songs from what was a very long show. Search YouTube for muse live stuff longer than an hour for some decent shows.

Advertisement