Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pope's idiotic comment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I don't have a link but in the newspaper today the pope is quoted as saying, free speech is a fundamental right and people have a duty to speak their minds, but if you mock religion you deserve to be punched. What a tw@t!

Did you bother to read ALL of what he said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

What ever happened to the child's poem "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never harm me" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Caliden wrote: »
    What ever happened to the child's poem "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never harm me" ?

That one always left out the last stanza, the one about the name being written on a piece of parchment and wrapped around a claymore. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

OP you get very worked up over nothing, the Pope doesn't like to see religion mocked, wow who would have thunk it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Im not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

That's not what he said. He said if someone cursed his mother he'd lamp them.

Anyhoo, I'm not much of a pope lover, but is he all that wrong?

No his words were misconstrued and put out of context.

faceman wrote: »
    That's not what he said at all. He said that if someone "cursed his mother", they could expect to get a smack.

I believe the point he was trying to make was that while he supports freedoms of speech, it's not ok to use it as an excuse to insult or antagonise people for the sake of it.

+100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

I don't have a link but in the newspaper today the pope is quoted as saying, free speech is a fundamental right and people have a duty to speak their minds, but if you mock religion you deserve to be punched. What a tw@t!

Politically correct ass-licker offended by Pope speaking like a normal person shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but this whole "you can't go round offending people because you might get hurt" argument is a bit too close to the "if you go around in a short skirt and get raped it's your own fault" argument for my liking.

I don't think that's what he meant to be fair. I think it was more that you just shouldn't be surprised if some-one reacts badly if/when you insult or ridicule them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Jon Stewart talked about something like this on the daily show.
    There were millions marching in france to support freedom of speech but can you imagine if someone stepped into the middle of it and said "Charlie Hebdo deserved to die"? They'd probably get a quick punch from someone. Possibly quite a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

cml387 wrote: »
    What the pope actually said.

Just makes me like the guy even more, this one actually seems human and in touch with the common people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

That's not what he said at all. He said that if someone "cursed his mother", they could expect to get a smack.

I believe the point he was trying to make was that while he supports freedoms of speech, it's not ok to use it as an excuse to insult or antagonise people for the sake of it.

I think he means that it is okay insult or antagonise but expect repercussions. A lot of spineless people are professing a dogma of freedom of expression but there are of course limitations necessary and in existence through recognition within our laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I don't think that's what he meant to be fair. I think it was more that you just shouldn't be surprised if some-one reacts badly if/when you insult or ridicule them.

As in, if you wear revealing clothes, don't be surprised if someone rapes you?

I'm sure that the similarity probably escaped him, but I still find the statement dubious to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

I think he's spot on.

For those claiming that this means he is in some way condoning the murders in Paris, there is quite a significant difference between a punch and shooting somebody in cold blood.

I'm sure that the similarity probably escaped him, but I still find the statement dubious to say the least.

No it's not the same thing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

tradhead wrote: »
    I think he's spot on.

For those claiming that this means he is in some way condoning the murders in Paris, there is quite a significant difference between a punch and shooting somebody in cold blood.

It is a continuum of violence. Would it have been okay for those men to beat their victims instead of extinguishing them?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

But where did the pope say that you need to "grossly" insult religion to deserve a punch? Where did he say that to "lightly ridicule" it is ok? He didn't. His comments read as you deserving to be violently assaulted no matter how constructive or light your comments.

Maybe I read it wrong but I thought he was implying free speech isn't something that should be censored, but that you have to decide what how to use it wisely and live with the consequences of what you say.

It's analogous to the Charlie Hebdo affair in a way. I defend to the hilt their right to publish the pictures and I share their secularist views but personally I'd be that bit smarter and constructive with how I use free speech to criticize religion and oppose fundamentalism.

Like in here, I enjoy criticism and pisstake of religion, especially fundamentalists but I turn off when it's a superior circle-jerk insulting normal people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Caliden wrote: »

I think the Muslim Fundamentalists were thought a slightly different version..

"If you continually openly mock our profit then we're gonna come and try kill you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

No it's not the same thing at all.

It's not?

Enjoying your freedom to express yourself and then being held responsible for other people's violent reactions to your expression?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

It is a continuum of violence. Would it have been okay for those men to beat their victims instead of extinguishing them?:rolleyes:

Again, there is a huge difference between a punch and a beating.

Would it have been better for those misguided, deluded terrorists to lamp Charlie Hebdo instead of murdering him? Absolutely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

anncoates wrote: »

Like in here, I enjoy criticism and pisstake of religion, especially fundamentalists but I turn off when it's a superior circle-jerk insulting normal people.

So true.

It's not?

Enjoying your freedom to express yourself and then being held responsible for other people's violent reactions to your expression?

He didn't say that, he was saying freedom of expression is important but sometimes it can be dangerous to say certain things because it can lead to a violent reaction.

I think the message he was trying to convey was that every person has a breaking point, and at some point it becomes unreasonable for you to not expect an emotional reaction if you are intentionally offending someone.

It is the responsibility of the person who is offended to control their anger.

He also said that violence is never the answer. Amazing how some people choose
    to ignore this part of his statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Completely idiotic comment by the Pope.

The amount of people who don't understand that his comment is not about 'mother insults' or 'punching' is hilarious.

It's a metaphor which is basically excusing violent responses for those who mock religions - in the wake of 12 people being killed in Paris for that very reason, the comments are at best ill-advised and at worst very sinister indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

One thing I like about pope frankie is that I'd say, in private, he'd be the first man to tell you that he is not infallible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

To be fair, I wouldn't view caution re: constructive free speech as kowtowing to fundamentalists and terrorists. I'd see it more as isolating them by not going out of your way to insult normal believers of that religion.

The problem is that the view (mine) that religion exists and we have to balance respecting people's faith without letting that faith unduly influence a secular society or impinge on people's freedom whereas I think the root of a lot of this satire is a dislike of religion (and intellectual grandstanding of course) which is fair enough (I agree to an extent) but it's not the most constructive way to approach the issue, especially with an issue so fundamental to people's beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I didn't vote for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

One thing I like about pope frankie is that I'd say, in private, he'd be the first man to tell you that he is not infallible.

They're not always infallible anyway. Pronouncement ex Cathedra happens only under certain conditions and regarding certain matters. Think of it as something like a Papal "Kernel Mode"! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I don't know about that, I guess they're only insecure if they respond to it?

What motivates people to do the mocking in the first place?

Comedy? Satire?

I agree that people shouldn't just be dicks for no reason but plenty of segments of society open themselves up for ridicule to one degree or other and I don't see any reason why people of certain faiths should consider themselves off-limits to being made fun of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Religions should be criticisable. Maybe not the religious though. That includes El papa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

So does this fully exonerate Zidane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

seamus wrote: »
    Practically everything insults somebody's religion.

Are religious people that insecure that words said by someone else can shake their beliefs?

Think you will find it's mostly mocking organised religions not peoples personal beliefs. People can believe in any sky wizard they want. But when you have huge organisations exerting massive power over their flock. Yes they can come into the firing line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Grayson wrote: »
    There were millions marching in france to support freedom of speech but can you imagine if someone stepped into the middle of it and said "Charlie Hebdo deserved to die"? They'd probably get a quick punch from someone. Possibly quite a lot more.

je suis dieudonne

Grayson wrote: »

Why did the artists go out and shoot a bunch of random innocents on the street ? Its not the same at all, People were outraged at an actual action that of murder. And not of about perceived victimisation due to faith and being mocked. Every religion pretty much has their version of live and let live turn the other cheek and all. They don't preach death to all for a comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Looking at a video of it it he doesnt say that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

That's not what he said. He said if someone cursed his mother he'd lamp them.

Anyhoo, I'm not much of a pope lover, but is he all that wrong?

So you're adamant against self defence in violent situations but you're for retaliating against a verbal insult?

Quite hypocritical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Are we that hollow and insecure that we need to insult religion?

Surely its the flip side of this?
    Is religion so insecure and foundation less that it cant take insult?

If they are so happy with the talking snakes, prophets who dont like images of them selves, space ships and volcanos and that then why be worried if I take the piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

No that's not even close to what I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

You can't be serious.

Are you saying I should be able to scream any kind of insult into someone's face and not expect a reaction?

Funny thing is I can't even insult you (not that I'd want to) or anyone here. I'd get banned.

So what is it now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

You know it says something when the pope makes way more sense than a lot of people on boards.

Boskowski wrote: »
    You can't be serious.

Are you saying I should be able to scream any kind of insult into someone's face and not expect a reaction?

Funny thing is I can't even insult you (not that I'd want to) or anyone here. I'd get banned.

So what is it now?

But religion isnt a sentient thing, its an idea. Mocking religion isnt remotely like insulting a person in a personal manner.
    Can i say I think smoking is ****ing stupid in general?
    Yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

But religion isnt a sentient thing, its an idea. Mocking religion isnt remotely like insulting a person in a personal manner.
    Can i say I think smoking is ****ing stupid in general?
    Yup

Are we still talking about what the pope actually said?

Surely its the flip side of this?
    Is religion so insecure and foundation less that it cant take insult?

If they are so happy with the talking snakes, prophets who dont like images of them selves, space ships and volcanos and that then why be worried if I take the piss?

So would you walk up to a muslim and make fun of his religion?

You wouldn't cos chances you would get your ass handed to you or in some countries a lot worse.

What the Pope was saying was words and insults, or what people perceive as an insult to their beliefs can lead to violence.

He didn't say violence was right as a response, much as some on this thread would like to believe he did.

You wouldn't cos chances you would get your ass handed to you or in some countries a lot worse.

What the Pope was saying was words and insults, or what people perceive as an insult to their beliefs can lead to violence.

He didn't say violence was right as a response, much as some on this thread would like to believe he did.

Are we back to all Muslims are a hive mind again ? Most moderates would just walk away or think you were a crackpot. You know just like you walk away the them the end is nigh guys on O'Connell street. If you instantly turn to violence over a comment about your Religion any of them you're in a pretty weak position aren't you. I mean normal people would put another point of view across and not just face punch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

So you're adamant against self defence in violent situations but you're for retaliating against a verbal insult?

Quite hypocritical.
    Not at all.

I agree with what he said, I wouldn't agree with him actually doing it.

• Advertisement

Not generally. Neither would i walk up to a catholic and do the same. But if they try to affect my life what so ever with their horse **** I will call it for that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

How dare the Pope try to deny me the right to be 'edgy'.

Dirty hipsters/atheistkult will cry.

Je suis Charlie Martel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Completely idiotic comment by the Pope.

The amount of people who don't understand that his comment is not about 'mother insults' or 'punching' is hilarious.

It's a metaphor which is basically excusing violent responses for those who mock religions - in the wake of 12 people being killed in Paris for that very reason, the comments are at best ill-advised and at worst very sinister indeed.

This is actually my opinion on it. Last week people were murdered and the reason why it happened was that they insulted Islam and were killed by religious extremists. A week later the Pope says this which, like it or not, gives justification for the ridiculous reaction to the printing of cartoons.

When he talks about his mother he is actually referring to religion and the "punch" is the cartoons. Stupid comment.

Why is everyone trying to rationalise the reasoning behind these murderers? Their actions and their reasoning are as bat sh1t mental and backward as each other.

Are we back to all Muslims are a hive mind again ? Most moderates would just walk away or think you were a crackpot. You know just like you walk away the them the end is nigh guys on O'Connell street. If you instantly turn to violence over a comment about your Religion any of them you're in a pretty weak position aren't you. I mean normal people would put another point of view across and not just face punch.

Most people would walk away, say it to the wrong person and you're in trouble, that's basically what the Pope was saying.

He was using the mother comment as an example, if someone called your mother a c**t how would you react?

Happened to mine and I would happily have dropped the guy who said it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Most people would walk away, say it to the wrong person and you're in trouble, that's basically what the Pope was saying.

He was using the mother comment as an example, if someone called your mother a c**t how would you react?

Happened to mine and I would happily have dropped the guy who said it.

So the pope wasnt talking about the terrorist attack in Paris then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement