Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connection fee

Options
  • 16-01-2015 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I recently signed a new contract with Eircom in December after changing to Vodafone. I was informed that their would be no connection fee but I checked my account today and noticed I have been charged €110! Have I missed a hidden charge or is this going to be refunded at some stage? I'm quite annoyed with it as I was informed that all I would be paying for was the standard monthly rate for the broadband package I have

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

TheSegal wrote: »
    I recently signed a new contract with Eircom in December after changing to Vodafone. I was informed that their would be no connection fee but I checked my account today and noticed I have been charged €110! Have I missed a hidden charge or is this going to be refunded at some stage? I'm quite annoyed with it as I was informed that all I would be paying for was the standard monthly rate for the broadband package I have
    The TheSegal

If you would like to PM me the eircom account number I'll look in to this further for you

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

The TheSegal

If you would like to PM me the eircom account number I'll look in to this further for you

Thanks
    Al
    PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

The TheSegal

Thanks
    Al
    PM sent
    Thanks TheSegal, Al is off today but will respond to this tomorrow, Tuesday.
    Tony

Hi,

I am still waiting on a response to my question. I'm sorry for being impatient but this is an issue I would like to see resolved quite quickly. Also, my connection is experiencing large ping spikes when gaming recently, mainly with League of Legends where the server is located in Amsterdam. I never experienced this with Eircom when I was with them previously. Could this issue also be checked please?

Hi,

I am still waiting on a response to my question. I'm sorry for being impatient but this is an issue I would like to see resolved quite quickly. Also, my connection is experiencing large ping spikes when gaming recently, mainly with League of Legends where the server is located in Amsterdam. I never experienced this with Eircom when I was with them previously. Could this issue also be checked please?
    Hi TheSegal

I'll be back to your PM very shortly

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I got the letters from Eircom last week when I signed up and on the back it mentions the monthly charges etc. it says connection fees it was supposed to be a free connection but it seems I will be charged for this .

Alan,

Could you do some tests on my line to make sure everything is in working order? My ping for gaming on a server located in the Netherlands is constantly above 150ms between 5-11pm every night and gaming is one of the primary reasons I purchased Eircom broadband. I contacted technical support about it but the response I got was terrible, i'm a mechanical engineer with a lot of study in Internet topologies so I know my stuff when it comes to networks and diagnosing as much problems as I can myself.

Prior to signing a new contract with Eircom in December last year I had switched to Vodafone in November 2014. I only stayed with them for 3 weeks as the connection was terrible but before that I was with Eircom for years and never experienced these problems? My ping was always between 50-60ms every evening and I experienced packet loss very rarely. Can you check if I was moved to a different exchange or if there is some differences in my connection compared to the last time I was with Eircom? 

jay93 wrote: »
    I got the letters from Eircom last week when I signed up and on the back it mentions the monthly charges etc. it says connection fees it was supposed to be a free connection but it seems I will be charged for this .
    HI jay93

The 'service and connection fee' area of the bill can sometimes create confusion surrounding this.

In the area you are referring to on the bill it lists two separate categories A) service charges & B) connection charges

Service charges are for a time frame for service which have not been charged previously in consideration that the bill is in advance, Connection charges are self explanatory.

If you would like to PM me your eircom account number I will look in to this further.

Thanks
    AL

Alan,

Could you do some tests on my line to make sure everything is in working order? My ping for gaming on a server located in the Netherlands is constantly above 150ms between 5-11pm every night and gaming is one of the primary reasons I purchased Eircom broadband. I contacted technical support about it but the response I got was terrible, i'm a mechanical engineer with a lot of study in Internet topologies so I know my stuff when it comes to networks and diagnosing as much problems as I can myself.

Prior to signing a new contract with Eircom in December last year I had switched to Vodafone in November 2014. I only stayed with them for 3 weeks as the connection was terrible but before that I was with Eircom for years and never experienced these problems? My ping was always between 50-60ms every evening and I experienced packet loss very rarely. Can you check if I was moved to a different exchange or if there is some differences in my connection compared to the last time I was with Eircom? 
    Hi TheSegal

You had PM'd me regarding this yesterday, I will get back to you this afternoon.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan,

I was contacted last week by an engineer about checking problems on the line. However, i'm still experiencing the drop in performance in the evenings along with considerable packet loss. Can you confirm if the engineers have checked the line or is it currently in the process of being investigated?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,

I was contacted last week by an engineer about checking problems on the line. However, i'm still experiencing the drop in performance in the evenings along with considerable packet loss. Can you confirm if the engineers have checked the line or is it currently in the process of being investigated?

Thanks
    Hi TheSegal

Sorry to hear of this, please leave this with me and I'll run tests. I should be back to you this evening or early tomorrow morning.

Thanks
    AL

Hi Alan,

Thanks
    Hi TheSegal

Sorry to hear of this, please leave this with me and I'll run tests. I should be back to you this evening or early tomorrow morning.

Thanks
    AL
    Hi Alan,

Sorry to rush you but has there been any update on the situation? 

Hi Alan,

Thanks
    Hi TheSegal

Thanks
    AL
    Hi Alan,

Sorry to rush you but has there been any update on the situation? 
    Hi

Hello TheSegal

Your line has been tested and no issues were found internally or externally.

As advised by PM the Congestion you are experiencing is a result of the current status of your exchange - as the exchange itself has not been upgraded to NGB (next generation broadband) - This is one of the main reasons for speeds are advised in terms of 'up to'.

As I previously mentioned your exchange is not planned for an upgrade to NGB yet however new plans should be released in mid 2015 and hopefully I'll be able to offer you better news on this then.

I'm aware that you have advised that your pings and speed in the evening were better in the evening previously however there is no guarantee eircom can offer in relation to this as a result of the current specification of the exchange your line is connected to.

I'm sorry to confirm that there will be nothing eircom can do to improve your service until the exchange is upgraded to NGB (next generation broadband)

Thanks
    Al

HI jay93

The 'service and connection fee' area of the bill can sometimes create confusion surrounding this.

In the area you are referring to on the bill it lists two separate categories A) service charges & B) connection charges

Service charges are for a time frame for service which have not been charged previously in consideration that the bill is in advance, Connection charges are self explanatory.

If you would like to PM me your eircom account number I will look in to this further.

Thanks
    AL

Thanks Al I'll send you on my account number now :)

HI jay93

Thanks
    AL

Thanks Al I'll send you on my account number now :)
    I have not received it yet jay93 ?

Cheers

Al

Sorry Al it's sent now thanks !

Sorry Al it's sent now thanks !
    Hi Jay93

I can confirm that there will not be any reconnection fee for your line or broadband. Apologies for the confusion the letter had created.

Thanks
    AL

Thanks Al got the first bill connection wasn't charged on it :)

Thanks Al got the  first bill connection wasn't charged on it :)
    Good to hear jay93

Al

Advertisement