Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone advise on a good tablet to buy for my mum.

Options
  • 16-01-2015 4:14pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

She's not afraid of techy stuff but love reading, crosswords, soaps, and general stuff like that and she's in her late 60's so something that will be mega easy to use with some nice features for her.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

My mam is 80 and has has android tablets for three years. She is flying on them. She started on a 10' unit. I moved her to a nexus 7 and she loved it due to the screen quality.

She lost this and had a 10' Asus. But wanted the smaller lighted nexus back so I got her a new one.

She played word feud with some of us.
    four pictures one word
    and reads the journal, RTE News and the independent app.

She will only occasionally check email even though I have her inbox as a full screen widget.

I found that if it's an app she will use it but she would rarely surf the net.

Being about the size of a book and light seem important to her Asus have some lighter unitS again.

The first one I bought her was second hand on adverts incase she didn't like it. It was a good idea as she opted for the smaller screen as she liked to hold it in one hand.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Tabnabs wrote: »
    What's your budget?

Good question Tabnabs anywhere from 100-200

She hates computers but loves mobile phones and tv and radio and puzzles and all the stuff that an oul doll likes. Maybe Netflix etc. She has wifi in the house so something that she could have connect and get her the papers, weather, vid clips, etc. She's not going to want to have to log into anything like facebook or email or any of that crap.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Stoner wrote: »
    My mam is 80 and has has android tablets for three years. She is flying on them. She started on a 10' unit. I moved her to a nexus 7 and she loved it due to the screen quality.

She lost this and had a 10' Asus. But wanted the smaller lighted nexus back so I got her a new one.

She played word feud with some of us.
    four pictures one word
    and reads the journal, RTE News and the independent app.

She will only occasionally check email even though I have her inbox as a full screen widget.

I found that if it's an app she will use it but she would rarely surf the net.

Being about the size of a book and light seem important to her Asus have some lighter unitS again.

The first one I bought her was second hand on adverts incase she didn't like it. It was a good idea as she opted for the smaller screen as she liked to hold it in one hand.

Good call Stoner....yeah, my mum will like to have it while she's in her armchair as the spuds are boiling. Do you have any models you might recommend and do they all come with the apps she might need. I ask this because I am a unix geek and have never had any interest in consumer easy to use devices....I just like servers and a laptop with Ubuntu on it. My phone is a joke....so I don't know about these devices but I am sure my mum would love one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just a word of warning, some very cheap tablets can be awfully slow and unstable in my experience. If purchasing a unknown brand definitely do your homework before buying. Going for a reputable brand like Google Nexus, Samsung Tab or Apple iPad may be the best option in the long run.
    I have heard good things about the Tesco Hudl2 tablet, but to get your hands on one you'd need to take a trip up north. I'm also not sure if availability would be an issue either as these sold out quickly over Christmas

Nick

Mod: Moved from Comp & Tech

The ASUS Memo Pad is a nice 7 inch in your budget ,check the reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Zimmovane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

The google is very good. My technophobe dad loves it (never off bloody donedeal!) but it doesn't have a front facing camera on it so might not be a problem. if she did want to use it for Skype then it's a pain in the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The ASUS Memo Pad is a nice 7 inch in your budget ,check the reviews

I bought my mother an ASUS memo pad HD7 for Christmas 2013, she still tells people how much she loves it.
    She records her TV shows throughout the week on it, and watches them in bed using Filmon (free account).
    She has a couple of magazine subscriptions she got in sales, I can't be 100% sure where from, but i think it was from either of these
    http://www.magazine.co.uk/
    http://www.isubscribe.co.uk/sale.cfm

Dabbles in genealogy from stuff she learned from an evening course, and browses the internet in general.

I had bought her the Advent Vega (10 inch) a few years ago, it broke, but I think that was a bit heavy anyway.
    She still gets the daily paper for crosswords and puzzles, and to read at the table.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »

I had bought her the Advent Vega (10 inch) a few years ago, it broke, but I think that was a bit heavy anyway.
    She still gets the daily paper for crosswords and puzzles, and to read at the table.

Lol the first tablet I got my mother was an Advent Vega too. She wore out a power supply and then smashed the screen . She's using the Google nexus 7 now the older Asus 7' model and loves it. Very similar experience.

I forgot to mention she also uses the RTE radio app this allows her to listen to podcasts at night of her favourite radio shows.

Apps have been fantastic in how they take the difficulty away from certain tasks.

A Good tank of a case is advisable IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Lol the first tablet I got my mother was an Advent Vega too. She wore out a power supply and then smashed the screen . She's using the Google nexus 7 now the older Asus 7' model and loves it. Very similar experience.

I forgot to mention she also uses the RTE radio app this allows her to listen to podcasts at night of her favourite radio shows.

Apps have been fantastic in how they take the difficulty away from certain tasks.

A Good tank of a case is advisable IMHO

Smashed screen too :). I have to wonder how that lasted 4 months and the Asus has lasted over a year :D

Yep, I forgot about the RTE apps too.
    The Asus also has a handy easy-to-access option for the less tech savvy, and a good audio option for the hard of hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I bought my Mam the Lenovo Yoga 8 from Argos for Christmas and she loves it.

Its a little thing, but the stand does make a difference for her

Now if only I could get her to do something other than play Spider Solitaire on it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nick.D

Android, windows, or both?

You can get the Teclast X98 Air II Dual Boot for 204USD now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Xeroid

I got my wife a Hudle 2 for Xmas . So far so good she loves it. It has a great spec for the money the 8.3 inch HD screen falls nicely between a 7 or 10, and the sound is great its fast too. The on/off button could be better/bigger that's all so far.

Advertisement