Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Load bearing wall

Options
  • 16-01-2015 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking for an idea of costs before I go and get official quotes on some work I would like done.

Basically we have a load bearing wall between Kitchen and dining room which is 3.6m in lenght. We want to have it knocked out and make the kitchen into open plan. Obviously it will need an RSJ fitted as support.

We don't want the RSJ built into the ceiling but just plastered around with 4 led lights.

There are no rads to move.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi All,

I am looking for an idea of costs before I go and get official quotes on some work I would like done.

Basically we have a load bearing wall between Kitchen and dining room which is 3.6m in lenght. We want to have it knocked out and make the kitchen into open plan. Obviously it will need an RSJ fitted as support.

We don't want the RSJ built into the ceiling but just plastered around with 4 led lights.

There are no rads to move.

Any ideas?

Depending on what the wall is holding up, its not just holding upstairs floors etc, it could be taking forces from the roof etc

3.6m in length for steel would be in and around €350-€500
    Engineer site visit and structural advice/sizing of steel and bearing around €200-€300
    Labour and materials around €2000-€3000 depending on currrent finishes like floor tiles, ceiling repair and bearing pads at each end.

Boxing it out with LED lights actually kills alot of space and you now have to box out the beam, then allow anoth 100mm give or take to house the LED fixtures and wiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Cheers appreciate that.

Just got a mail back from a chap who says he can do it, certified for 1400. That doesn't include tiling or led lighting or site clearence.

I think I'll get a few more quotes before I pursure that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Usually 1500-2000 euros.

Advertisement