Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How do I get out of this without losing all data?

• 16-01-2015 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Hello. I have an Iphone 4S. Connected it to PC for first time and it automatically synced with Itunes which was a 5 step process and took about 10 mins. After this all was fine.

There had been an upgrade software notification on my Iphone settings icon for the past few months but I could never upgrade because lack of space. I was told maybe download the upgrade using the PC. That is why I connected the Iphone to the PC in the first place. Anyway, after the automatic syncing, I then updated the software, this took 10 min but in the end it said there was an error and it didn't work. Now, my phone and PC are stuck in the recovery mode with the option of "Restore Iphone", I click on this but it says are you sure because this will bring the phone back to factory setting etc.

Did the sync back up all my data onto Itunes? Can I go ahead with restore?

How do I get out of this without losing contacts, messages, pictures etc. Help please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

O.P.H wrote: »
    Hello. I have an Iphone 4S. Connected it to PC for first time and it automatically synced with Itunes which was a 5 step process and took about 10 mins. After this all was fine.

There had been an upgrade software notification on my Iphone settings icon for the past few months but I could never upgrade because lack of space. I was told maybe download the upgrade using the PC. That is why I connected the Iphone to the PC in the first place. Anyway, after the automatic syncing, I then updated the software, this took 10 min but in the end it said there was an error and it didn't work. Now, my phone and PC are stuck in the recovery mode with the option of "Restore Iphone", I click on this but it says are you sure because this will bring the phone back to factory setting etc.

Did the sync back up all my data onto Itunes? Can I go ahead with restore?

How do I get out of this without losing contacts, messages, pictures etc. Help please!

Itunes would have a reference to any backup you have store. As for music etc. If that's on iTunes it can be resynced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

So are you saying that if I go ahead with the reset, that because I simply synced with Itunes beforehand, that all my contacts and pictures can be restored etc, just a bit hesitant to do that obviously unless I'm positive it will work, cheers

I hesitant to reset because I dont know if simply syncing the iphone was enough of a backup, should have I done something to back it up more securely than simply syncing for the first time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

O.P.H wrote: »
    So are you saying that if I go ahead with the reset, that because I simply synced with Itunes beforehand, that all my contacts and pictures can be restored etc, just a bit hesitant to do that obviously unless I'm positive it will work, cheers

There is a difference between back up an sync. Sync is the music and apps. Backup is the contacts and general iphone data ( ie the network settings) I think pictures as well. And SMS, contacts etc.

In general if you can see your music in itunes it can be re synced to the phone. Apps too ( but they can be redownloaded from the cloud in all cases).

What else are you worried about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

Well, I'm solely worried about losing contacts and pictures. If I lose them doing this restore then how do I get around now doing this restore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

In iTunes open preferences, then go to the devices tab and it will have a list of backups there. Also you may have had iCloud backup turned on automatically, but no way to know now unless you ring apple support and they can see if there is a backup on your iCloud account.

If you don't have them backed up anywhere then there is nothing to be done I'm afraid, if your phone is stuck in recovery mode it has to be restored. Have you tried booting it out of recovery mode doing a hard reset? Hold down the home and power buttons together for ten seconds or until an apple logo appears.

• Advertisement
Advertisement