Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guards called down after someone reporting me

• 16-01-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Can I find out who it was that reported it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Generally no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

I doubt it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did you ask the gardai? I'd imagine it was confidential. Was this an animal issue, or are you in the wrong place?

If you feel it was malicious, you'd have to go back to the gardai about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Nope I didn't ask. I was just in my own housing estate....I can understand why someone reported me - it's just annoying the way I'm now on their radar.

Does anyone have any information on what happens with these reports? Are they logged into a computer system for all staff to see and review when starting their next shift.

Anyway I'm not sure if it's a case of people "wanting" to get others in trouble or people just not realizing how significant it can be to a person generally? I'm not saying I have anything to hide....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

euser1984 wrote: »
    Nope I didn't ask. I was just in my own housing estate....I can understand why someone reported me - it's just annoying the way I'm now on their radar.

Does anyone have any information on what happens with these reports? Are they logged into a computer system for all staff to see and review when starting their next shift.

Anyway I'm not sure if it's a case of people "wanting" to get others in trouble or people just not realizing how significant it can be to a person generally? I'm not saying I have anything to hide....

What were you reported for? Barking dogs? Dogs running loose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ok, you can understand why someone reported you, yet you are still trying to track down the person that did report you ?

You are admitting yourself here you pretty much deserved it so why dont you just stop doing it and leave it at that rather than trying to turn this into a much bigger deal than it is.

Stheno wrote: »
    What were you reported for? Barking dogs? Dogs running loose?

Off the lead....
    Ok, you can understand why someone reported you, yet you are still trying to track down the person that did report you ?

You are admitting yourself here you pretty much deserved it so why dont you just stop doing it and leave it at that rather than trying to turn this into a much bigger deal than it is.

Why, have you reported a few things in the past? I didn't believe I could anyway but somebody was hassling me saying you could so I said I'd ask....I was going on a whim due to the fact you can look at peoples objections towards planning permission applied for.

Nobody has had a problem in the past and all the kids have always played with my dog. There is also the fact that there is a crazy person or two living in the estate and it's always wise to try and have an idea what crazy thing is going on with them at the moment. Kindly please leave it at that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

No, at least under the data protection laws where this is one of the exceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What has it got to do with the guards anyways? I thought it was just the dog warden that stuff like this get's reported to?

euser1984 wrote: »
    Off the lead....

Why, have you reported a few things in the past? I didn't believe I could anyway but somebody was hassling me saying you could so I said I'd ask....I was going on a whim due to the fact you can look at peoples objections towards planning permission applied for.

Nobody has had a problem in the past and all the kids have always played with my dog. There is also the fact that there is a crazy person or two living in the estate and it's always wise to try and have an idea what crazy thing is going on with them at the moment. Kindly please leave it at that.
    If they were off the lead then they probably weren't under control?

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    What has it got to do with the guards anyways? I thought it was just the dog warden that stuff like this get's reported to?

No it can be reported to the guards as well, the control of dogs act is not just the purview of the warden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Stheno wrote: »
    No it can be reported to the guards as well, the control of dogs act is not just the purview of the warden

Thanks for that. I've wanted to report somebody who's letting their dog run into traffic (only that I anticipated it happening the other morning and slowed down I would have run it over - i couldn't even see where it was it was that close to the front of the car :( ) but didn't know their home address so didn't think calling the warden was an option BUT I happen to know their work address so might report it to the guards before it causes an accident.

Sorry for the hijack OP. It's data protection. I had somebody reverse into me before xmas and would have needed the guards to request the CCTV had I needed it.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If the guards told you who reported you, they would be in serious breach of their own ethical codes. It's an absolute cornerstone of law-enforcement... Never, ever reveal your sources unless they have given their assent for you to do so.
    Neither are they are compelled to tell you who informed them, whether the information was about someone letting his restricted breed off-lead in a public place, or something far more serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

You probably could make a freedom of information request. But there is no way they would release the name, so it would be a waste of money.

moleyv wrote: »
    You probably could make a freedom of information request. But there is no way they would release the name, so it would be a waste of money.

Revealing names of "informants" is not included under the FoI Act. Guards are not compelled to reveal their sources under any legislation.

DBB wrote:
    Revealing names of "informants" is not included under the FoI Act. Guards are not compelled to reveal their sources under any legislation.

Informants in all senses of the word? Or in the context of the guards?

Informants in all senses of the word? Or in the context of the guards?

Any of the law enforcement officers in the country, including the dog wardens.
    Is that what you mean? :)

DBB wrote:
    Any of the law enforcement officers in the country, including the dog wardens. Is that what you mean? 

I might have a read of the legislation tomorrow. I know I enforce certain laws but my 'informants' can be the subject of FoI.

I might have a read of the legislation tomorrow. I know I enforce certain laws but my 'informants' can be the subject of FoI.

Ohhh... I'm thinking I've heard that there are certain specific instances or situations where revealing of names can happen, and the legislation pertaining to these instances allows for that. But the usual mechanisms by which guards and other law-enforcement officers receive information and reports are protected by not being subject to FoI.... It has been threatened in the past from time to time, but law enforcement would crumble if it were ever allowed!

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering if I can ring up the guards and tell them lies about my neighbour anonymously so I can get him in trouble - not that I'm going to do that!

Has anyone any information about the procedures the guards use to log everything - I more or less have the equivalent of a "non public" criminal record if I want to dramatise it....Whether I am dramatising it or not that is what I feel like....

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Why don't you ring them and ask what the procedure is? If it was just a friendly call asking to keep your dog in then you've nothing to worry about. And you can't get an actual criminal record without prosecution. Can I ask if you have a Restricted Breed OP?

Why don't you ring them and ask what the procedure is? If it was just a friendly call asking to keep your dog in then you've nothing to worry about. And you can't get an actual criminal record without prosecution. Can I ask if you have a Restricted Breed OP?

Rather than criminal record I was referring to the fact that I'm known by the cops now! I feel like I have a criminal record with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

If your dog was off lead when it shouldn't be then you should let it go, shouldn't you? Why is it an issue? This person is entitled to complain and remain anonymous. Maybe they thought it would be pointless to speak to you first.

daUbiq wrote: »
    If your dog was off lead when it shouldn't be then you should let it go, shouldn't you? Why is it an issue? This person is entitled to complain and remain anonymous. Maybe they thought it would be pointless to speak to you first.

Maybe I had let it go?

euser1984, it was less than 24 hours since you posted that you felt like you had a criminal record that duUbiq replied to you! If you have "let it go", how did you expect anyone to know, as your last, recent post strongly suggested that you hadn't.
    As you're over it, I'll close the thread as you clearly don't need any more input.
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement