Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for Boxer owners

• 16-01-2015 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi everyone,

My 5yr old Boxer (female) has been acting a bit strange lately.

A few weeks ago she started incessant barking at about 6.20am one morning. I knew it was a 'let me the hell outside' bark so I got up and she bolted to the garden and proceeded to eat grass along the full perimeter of the garden. She didn't get sick (I don't think) but she wouldn't come in for about half an hour.

She didn't do it the next morning but the morning after, the barking/crying started again. One night (after I had gone to bed) the otherhalf told me that she literally just slid off the couch and vomited then and there. This is HIGHLY unusual for her, any other time she was sick she would attempt to make a Boxer size'd hole in the door to get out.

I have tried to think of everything that could be wrong with her but we have not done anything different to what we normally do. No change of food, no extra treats or change in brand of the treats we already use. She doesn't get scraps and our other two dogs (another boxer and a jrt)...

There is one thing that I have noticed (and most of the rest of the family too) is that her farts are absolutely toxic. Usually you'd get a whiff and it's gone but these are nuclear powered farts.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know you'll say get her to the vet and that is my intention but I'm going to give her another week to see how she is (and take better note of early morning stress)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What's actually happening with her - She's puked once and is farting for the last few weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Fafasmurf

She's puked once (that I know of because it was in the house) but she's barking at 6.20 most mornings and stays outside for about half an hour eating grass and possibly vomiting again. It's so unusual for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Boxers are known to be prone to digestive issues, so many Boxers end up on special food or medication. Ulcerative colitis is so common in the breed it's also known as Boxer colitis. If the odd behaviour continues then I'd be going to the vet after a couple of days, wouldn't leave her in discomfort for a week.

https://boxerworld.com/forums/threads/huc.150787/

Weather depending, I'll bring her to the vet this week. she woke at 4am this morning and stayed outside for an hour so she definitely needs a check up. Thanks everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

What kind of food are you feeding her, smelly farts are a sure sign of food not agreeing with her.

Eating grass also maybe a sign she isnt getting the right vitamins and minerals in her diet.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement

We're feeding her Iams for Overweight/Obese Sterilised dogs. She was extremely over weight and this has worked a treat for her. She lost the 5kgs of extra weight she had and is keeping it off (jeez, it's like weight watchers for dogs) Any recommendations for a food if I decide to change her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Eating noticably more grass, more frequently turned out to be due to abdominal discomfort in my own dog's case. Sadly the vet dismissed this as insignificant, but it turned out it was heralding a serious illness. So definitely get her checked out, OP. Hope all will be well for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Fafasmurf wrote: »
    We're feeding her Iams for Overweight/Obese Sterilised dogs. She was extremely over weight and this has worked a treat for her. She lost the 5kgs of extra weight she had and is keeping it off (jeez, it's like weight watchers for dogs) Any recommendations for a food if I decide to change her?

Taste of the Wild, Acana or Orijen.

Iams isnt great imo.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Advertisement