Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Littlewoods,big problem

Options
  • 16-01-2015 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am with Littlewoods a good few years now,..5 anyway but it could be 10 !!!
    I am forever ravin about them and how Xmas is a lot easier when you can pay through the year for what you get.I have recommended them to numerous people as well,but,..My husband was getting me a tablet so he applied online with my help,.he lives with me here and has done for the last (approx)17_20 years but he was refused?!? That annoyed me but however,just a few weeks before Xmas and I saw an item my son really wanted so I tried to purchase it on my account,but it would have been over my credit limit by about 30-40 Euro so I was given the option to ask for an extension to my credit amount which was E350 at that time.I didn't foresee any problems so when I got a call from England I eventually realised it was Littlewoods as the guy either spoke very low or my hearing is going as I was asking him to repeat almost everything,long story short,he asked me how much credit was I applying for so I said just 50 as that was all I needed to purchase my son's gift,he asked me to verify my name address and date of birth which I did,and then he said "I'm sorry but at this time we are unable to extend your credit as you missed a few repayments,3 I think he said,.Oh ok then as I was shocked,but what bothers me is" why call me and have me confirm my details but then say" NO"!! Anybody else have this problem??
    I have spent a fair amount of money to Littlewoods over the last few years as did my sister so I'm more than a little p***ed off,I certainly won't be recommending them in future,..:-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

I don't really get your problem here?

You have used a credit facility and have missed payments and you think it is bad practice by littlewoods not to extend you more credit. They obviously feel that you do not have the ability to pay any more than you currently are.

I would have thought that this is good practice by littlewoods as you seem to be over extending your finance. They would have had to verify who you were before telling you that your request was refused, you would be mighty pissed off if they just called and spoke to someone else and told them you were being refused credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

You requested a credit extension, and they rang you to say no.
    What is the problem.

Off topic:Wow, I just checked. They are charging 39% apr.
    OP You'd be better off with a personal loan.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Honestly not seeing the problem here,

If you've missed payments then you are a risk and they are perfectly entitled to not give further credit, they fact they called you is a better service then just sending you a e-mail in my view.

As for the APR, you'd be crazy to use the credit option

• Registered Users Posts: 10 carzey3

Unfortunately I'm unable to get a personal loan as I'm unable to work due to a disability,.I hear what your saying 're missing some payments,obviously I should never miss a payment but on a couple of occasions it was due to having been paid a double week because of a bank holiday as I myself thought I had been always on time with payments,and when it was brought to my attention I paid double the following week(so it's not like they have not been paid in full completely even though it may take over a year to pay back approx 200Euro of credit)as I said before I am disabled with arthritis so I genuinely do appreciate the fact I can purchase and pay little by little over the year(even with the high Apr. rates)So I know it might not seem like a big deal to a lot of people who can get into town shopping but I cant!! My big issue was that my husband was refused an account?? Also I referred a friend who got 500 credit straight away and get I'm a customer years who still has a credit limit of 350E,!? I just wanted to reply and explain a bit more too,...by the way in the big scheme of things it's really not a big problem,...but when I posted it felt like it was,...Hamiste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Littlewoods are actually being responsible here. You have as much credit as your circumstances dictate. Your husband being refused is probably linked to the fact that you are at your credit limit with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

carzey3 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm unable to get a personal loan as I'm unable to work due to a disability,.........as I said before I am disabled with arthritis ...
    You don't have problems using a computer, so maybe start there?
    Then you could get loans and deal with cheaper rates than what littlewoods are giving.

They may have refused your husband just because it's the same address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I would agree with the people above here, to them your reason for not paying, or when you did pay, is usually irrelevant, they just see UNPAID beside a date.

I've never used these kinds of companies so I'm unsure of how they work, is your credit the same every year? or does it change based on your history? It sounds like they believe your friend has the means to pay and have no reason not to trust them.

On a side note, would it not be better to start say a post office or bank account to save all year and not have to deal with apr at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

carzey3 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm unable to get a personal loan as I'm unable to work due to a disability,.........

Credit union?

Advertisement