Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving from the Burlington Hotel to the Hilton Hotel Kilmainham

Options
  • 16-01-2015 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

I have to drive between the 2 hotels next week - not that I don't trust AA routeplanner but I don't know the one way systems in Dublin - what's the least hassle way to get between the 2 hotels (would I be better off to move the car first thing in the morning, or after 5pm)??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

This would probably be the easiest. Map

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

so is it straight all the way - no turn offs, no one way systems - I've never driven in Dublin, not looking forward to it :-(

South Circular is two way. There will be a one way at the Burlington and you will have to take the left, followed by a quick right onto Leeson Street. The next left will have you on the two way system then and you should be good after that

is that to take me up next to the Canal?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

cjmcork wrote: »
    is that to take me up next to the Canal?

Yeah just make sure you are in the correct lane, you'll need to be in the left lane on Leeson St

• Advertisement

You'll drive right along it for the most part.

you're a legend thanks very much :-)

next question - getting from the Hilton in Kilmainham back to the M50 to get onto the M7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

you're a legend thanks very much :-)

next question - getting from the Hilton in Kilmainham back to the M50 to get onto the M7

Out the hotel, turn left towards the N4, then left onto N4, straight out a few miles to M50/N4 junction, go Southbound M50 and take the next exit off the M50 for N7.

thanks for all the responses - I'm really grateful - the thought of it is giving me palpatations :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

van_beano wrote: »
    Out the hotel, turn left towards the N4, then left onto N4, straight out a few miles to M50/N4 junction, go Southbound M50 and take the next exit off the M50 for N7.

If you took a right out of the hotel, and ask staff to confirm because i might be confusing the apartment and hotel cat parks, you can just go straight out the N7.

• Advertisement

thanks for all the responses - I'm really grateful - the thought of it is giving me palpatations :-(

Driving in Dublin is grand as long as you know your lanes beforehand. Even if you mess up what's the worst that could happen - beeping and giving out, don't let it worry you. Watch out for cyclists though, the Canal can be sonewhat like the Tour de France in the morn and evening.

You'll be grand though!

uberwolf wrote: »
    If you took a right out of the hotel, and ask staff to confirm because i might be confusing the apartment and hotel cat parks, you can just go straight out the N7.

You could go the Inchicore Route alright but theres extra traffic lights and single lane traffic, possibly more traffic jams, even though the N4 can be no better and that's a dual carriageway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

You could go the Inchicore Route alright but theres extra traffic lights and single lane traffic, possibly more traffic jams, even though the N4 can be no better and that's a dual carriageway!

no question, and I hesitated posting for fear of confusing the OP. My route is straight, but for a nervous driver there would be loads of opportunities to question your direction, even though there'd be few enough chances to go wrong if you employed an 'if in doubt, which way looks straight" maxim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Don't turn left out of the hotel whatever you do, you'd go the wrong way on a one way street. Turn right and you can either take the N7 or the N4, both well signposted.

tampopo wrote: »
    Don't turn left out of the hotel whatever you do, you'd go the wrong way on a one way street. Turn right and you can either take the N7 or the N4, both well signposted.

Ahh very good, silly me, that Kilmainham Gaol road is a one way! You're right though, both the N7 and N4 are well signposted.

thanks all for the responses - very grateful - if ye hear about a C reg car going down a one-way street on Tuesday morning, it'll be me!!

thanks all for the responses - very grateful - if ye hear about a C reg car going down a one-way street on Tuesday morning, it'll be me!!

Ha you won't be the only one! If I was out that way myself you'd see a D Reg doing the same thing. Don't forget to make sure that your doors are locked whilst driving, too easy to have someone open your door / boot and rob a bag or something whilst stopped at lights. Good habit to get into regardless of where you're driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Ha you won't be the only one! If I was out that way myself you'd see a D Reg doing the same thing. Don't forget to make sure that your doors are locked whilst driving, too easy to have someone open your door / boot and rob a bag or something whilst stopped at lights. Good habit to get into regardless of where you're driving.
    And make sure the flame-thrower is working.

am I better off to move the car first thing in the morning from the burlo to the Hilton, or wait until 5pm?

am I better off to move the car first thing in the morning from the burlo to the Hilton, or wait until 5pm?

I'd imagine the morning as you'll be sort of going against traffic, at 5pm the canal can be a disaster for traffic! Going towards Inchicore.

• Advertisement

how late could I leave it - would 8am be mad?

how late could I leave it - would 8am be mad?

Depends on what time you need to be wherever you need to be.

I don't need to be across the city till that evening, but if it's easier to get across in the morning, I'll dump the car in the Hilton and get the Luas back into town - whichever is the least stressful for me to be honest is the easiest

I don't need to be across the city till that evening, but if it's easier to get across in the morning, I'll dump the car in the Hilton and get the Luas back into town - whichever is the least stressful for me to be honest is the easiest

You'll have a lengthy enough walk to get from the Hilton to the LUAS, if time is no issue then why don't you wait until after 9am to bring the car over, that eliminates the heaviest of the rush hour. Between the hours 5pm - 7pm would be considered the heaviest traffic times in the eve. In the morn it'd be 7am - 9am.

I have to be by Pearse Street by 10, I'd never make it if I left it till 9 would I?

I have to be by Pearse Street by 10, I'd never make it if I left it till 9 would I?

Laving the car at the Hilton by 9am on the dot and jumping in a taxi should work, inbound traffic should have eased. The journey to Pearse St by car isn't that long.

The LUAS plan could see you walking from the Hilton to Heauston LUAS in about 15mins (depending on walk speed), then get on the LUAS as far as O'Connell St, then walk over O'Connell Bridge and up D'Olier St. A lot of walking and waiting really.

c'mere - ye are a bunch of legends, thanks so much - will let ye know how it goes - bricking it!

Best of luck with it!

all! I did it - to be fair, I moved the car at 7am, so wasn't in anyone's way but it went swimmingly - thanks for all the help, even made it onto the M50 from Kilmainham without causing any disruption!

• Advertisement

all! I did it - to be fair, I moved the car at 7am, so wasn't in anyone's way but it went swimmingly - thanks for all the help, even made it onto the M50 from Kilmainham without causing any disruption!

Told you you would be grand. Did you go by LUAS or taxi on the end?

Advertisement